Mid-range Gaming PC: Should I buy parts just for looks or is it worth upgrading? (details inside)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($176.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($67.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($147.19 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Game Daemon 6004 ($55.00)
Total: $841.80

This is my gaming/everyday setup. I am currently playing only 1080p Diablo 3, HotS and Lineage 2 and dipped my head into some Fallout 4 and GTA V, on reasonable settings. 

I've been thinking of pimping it out a little. I will be getting the NZXT Kraken x61 as a birthday gift (basically free), and thought I might buy a flashier case (H440, Enthoo Luxe) and some LED fans/strips just for show. 

But then it got me thinking, is there any way I could spend that money on a possible upgrade? The first thing that came to mind is evidently, a new GPU, but do I really NEED it? With the total amount that I would spend on glamour parts I could probably get a GTX 970 (I wouldn't want to buy a mid GPU just for few FPS increase) and now I'm stuck on what to do. (basically, is it worth buying a gtx 970 for gaming 2-3 hours after work?)

I'm planning on building a high-end Intel/Nvidia pc late next year,  and for the amount of gaming I'm currently doing, my current setup will probably(?) be ok until then. I'll probably end up re-using the new case I'm going to buy now.

So, I just want to hear some opinions from the more experienced users here, should I buy parts just for looks(maybe even re-use the Kraken and/or case in the future) or should I get an upgrade(if so, what?) for ~300$? 

btw: I'm from Germany, so prices would be in euros, evidently. I just didn't know how to set PCPartpicker to euro.

If you're going high end next year id be tempted to get the case (cause you can keep that) and crossfire the 270X. a 970GTX will be old hat next year

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

If you're going high end next year id be tempted to get the case (cause you can keep that) and crossfire the 270X. a 970GTX will be old hat next year

That's exactly what I've been thinking, but I figured I'd get some opinions from more experienced users.

btw, crossfire the 270x, as in buy another same one and xfire them?

12 minutes ago, Shaggy18cm said:

I'm planning on building a high-end Intel/Nvidia pc late next year

Yeah! Intel/nVidia PC running 2 R9 270Xs : Sounds COOL!

On a serious note : I'd recommend you wait for nVidia Pascal GPUs, or get the GTX 970 (or GTX 980). The R9 270X has aged a lot, and won't perform well in the near future. And 2GB? That is seriously tiny! Next time, get atleast 4GB GPUs.

Nothing to see here ;)

7 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

On a serious note : I'd recommend you wait for nVidia Pascal GPUs, or get the GTX 970 (or GTX 980). The R9 270X has aged a lot, and won't perform well in the near future. And 2GB? That is seriously tiny! Next time, get atleast 4GB GPUs.

I know, right? maybe even triple 270x.. that would look awesome..

On a serious note: Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. That was the most I could squeeze out of my budget at the time(mid 2014).

1 hour ago, anandgeforce said:

What intel/NVidia ?? Also you don't know how long the OP has had this PC, so its quite easy to say "should have got 4gb vram" ..... And I meant save the money for moment as the OP is planning a major overhaul next year, so my advice was to add a second 270X for now (with a view to replace both cards with Pascal/Polaris) and buy the H440. The cards will be not worth anything come next year, however the PSU, Hard drive and Case can make a base for the upgrade to the next build

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P