Subnetting on a home network

Salty

Is it possible to create multiple subnets on a consumer tier home router? I want to try to do some network segmentation but I don't have the proper equipment to do it with.

Am I correct in saying that I would need multiple routers for each subnet? I know what a subnet and subnet mask is but I don't know how to actually do it.

Some routers allow multiple gateways and multiple DHCP servers. If yours does not, you will need multiple routers. I have multiple /24 subnets on my Mikrotik router (3 of them right now, a 4th is disabled but will be used for the guest wireless in the future).

EDIT: Multiple DHCP servers is not required if you don't mind doing static IPs.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Some routers allow multiple gateways and multiple DHCP servers. If yours does not, you will need multiple routers. I have multiple /24 subnets on my Mikrotik router (3 of them right now, a 4th is disabled but will be used for the guest wireless in the future).

Ah okay, that was the information that I needed, thanks.

Im going to go ahead and say no, the vast majority of SOHO equipment does not allow for subnetting.

To be honest its not required 1 broadcast domain is perfectly adequate for a small network such as a home network.

I have the same issue as you but what I have done is just set guidelines in my head. 

10.0.0.0/24

10.0.0.1/24 = Default Gateway/DNS (my router)

-------------------------------------------

10.0.0.2 - .100 = Wireless devices/Guests

10.0.0.101 - 150 = my personal use

10.0.0.200 - 250 = my home lab use

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

8 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Im going to go ahead and say no, the vast majority of SOHO equipment does not allow for subnetting (to be honnest, its not required in a small home network at all). I have the same issue as you but what I have done is just set guidlines in my head. 

10.0.0.0/24

10.0.0.2 - .100 = Wireless devices

10.0.0.101 - 150 = my personal use

---

10.0.0.200 - 250 = my home lab use

I believe did something similar to that on my home router (I'll be upgrading soon of course) where I gave all of my personal devices static lease IPs in the 200-255 range and gave the IPs in the 0-100 range to DHCP. 

What router do you have? Even if the stock firmware doesn't allow for subnetting, it may be possible to flash it with some 3rd party firmware that does. Also, are you trying to subnet for your LAN, or do you need transparent routing for dual/multiple WAN?