Onboard audio not working

herpderp314

Hey everyone, I'm not sure quite where to post this.

I'm having problems getting my onboard 3.5mm audio jacks working. I am trying to get a pair of headphones to work on my computer. I have tried them in a different device and they work fine. I have an Asus Z87-A and am using Windows 10. I recently updated to Windows 10 and have always used a usb headset, so I'm not sure if my jacks worked before or if this is a new issue.

I have updated my bios to the latest version, tried both audio drives listed on the page for my mobo from the manufacturer (though neither said they work with Windows 10) and the latest drivers from the realtek site.

One weird thing is that the realtek audio manager sometimes shows that there is a headset and mic plugged into the front jacks of the computer. I looked inside the computer to see if the jacks were even connected to the mobo, they were not. The audio manager was showing devices plugged into the ports when the ports were not even connected to the mobo.

I have taken screenshots with various settings changed and the changes highlighted. Is it possible that the mobo is just not compatible with windows 10?

Here are the pics http://imgur.com/a/twHtg. The middle rear green jack is highlighted in each picture because the headphones were plugged into it in each picture, I think it should be darker green to show that there is a device in it.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, herpderp314 said:

Hey everyone, I'm not sure quite where to post this.

I'm having problems getting my onboard 3.5mm audio jacks working. I am trying to get a pair of headphones to work on my computer. I have tried them in a different device and they work fine. I have an Asus Z87-A and am using Windows 10. I recently updated to Windows 10 and have always used a usb headset, so I'm not sure if my jacks worked before or if this is a new issue.

I have updated my bios to the latest version, tried both audio drives listed on the page for my mobo from the manufacturer (though neither said they work with Windows 10) and the latest drivers from the realtek site.

One weird thing is that the realtek audio manager sometimes shows that there is a headset and mic plugged into the front jacks of the computer. I looked inside the computer to see if the jacks were even connected to the mobo, they were not. The audio manager was showing devices plugged into the ports when the ports were not even connected to the mobo.

I have taken screenshots with various settings changed and the changes highlighted. Is it possible that the mobo is just not compatible with windows 10?

Here are the pics http://imgur.com/a/twHtg. The middle rear green jack is highlighted in each picture because the headphones were plugged into it in each picture, I think it should be darker green to show that there is a device in it.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

do the speakers work?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

My motherboard's onboard audio is dead too, it doesn't work in any operating system, so I ruled out software problems.

I ended up using my Graphics card HDMI for sound.

7 hours ago, techguru said:

do the speakers work?

Yeah, I put that in the OP haha. 

2 hours ago, deWaardt said:

My motherboard's onboard audio is dead too, it doesn't work in any operating system, so I ruled out software problems.

I ended up using my Graphics card HDMI for sound.

Ugh, I hope mine isn't. I need 3.5mm.

Just now, herpderp314 said:

Yeah, I put that in the OP haha. 

Ugh, I hope mine isn't. I need 3.5mm.

I did it with a bit of a workaround.
Connected my GPU to my Monitor using HDMI, and plugged the 3.5mm in the headphone jack of my monitor.
Works fine so far.

9 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I did it with a bit of a workaround.
Connected my GPU to my Monitor using HDMI, and plugged the 3.5mm in the headphone jack of my monitor.
Works fine so far.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm using a display port cable but connecting to the monitor works for me too, though the volume is very low. Looks like I'm just going to end up getting a sound card. Thanks.

Just now, herpderp314 said:

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm using a display port cable but connecting to the monitor works for me too, though the volume is very low. Looks like I'm just going to end up getting a sound card. Thanks.

Try putting up the volume in your monitor's settings, I had the same issue :)
My monitor was at like 20% volume, should be a setting for it somewhere.

1 minute ago, deWaardt said:

Try putting up the volume in your monitor's settings, I had the same issue :)
My monitor was at like 20% volume, should be a setting for it somewhere.

I did, the sound quality is terrible haha. I'm using them plugged into my old Turtle Beach inline amplifier thing for now, it's annoying having 30 feet of cord though. Thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, herpderp314 said:

I did, the sound quality is terrible haha. I'm using them plugged into my old Turtle Beach inline amplifier thing for now, it's annoying having 30 feet of cord though. Thanks for your help.

No problem.
Fortunately, audio cards aren't that expensive anymore :)

I use a USB headset all the time so I don't really suffer from my dead onboard audio.
I might RMA my board some time, it's still got over 2 years of warranty.