I think it's time to revisit Windows 10

LokiFire
1 minute ago, Deusrex said:

I think operating systems are like political systems. Windows is a horrible desktop OS, it just happens to be the best one we have.

Windows 95, is where its at.

4 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Looks normal, i bet hat ram usage is Chrome LOL.

Chrome is open, but it's not that high honestly... when your uptime is several weeks, you get used to everything leaking until it's dry and that tends to make it float around 5 GB :)

Edit: I just closed it and it dropped to 4.5 GB, so yeah :D

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

"best" is a strong word, and probably not the right one in this case.  Maybe "most useful", simply because the most programs run on it (for now)

From a "most useful" perspective *nix operating systems, win hands down. Their usability is just terrible by comparison, unless it's OS X in which case you're giving up almost all of the usefulness.

2 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

From a "most useful" perspective *nix operating systems, win hands down. Their usability is just terrible by comparison, unless it's OS X in which case you're giving up almost all of the usefulness.

That doesn't make any sense... they win, but they are "just terrible"?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That doesn't make any sense... they win, but they are "just terrible"?

Yeah they're hard to use, the learning curve if charted out is a cliff. Unless you're using a MAC in which case most of the usefulness is taken away from the system, because as a Unix distribution it has way less compatibility with a lot of the other libraries that make *nix so powerful. We're living in a world where 80% of the computers are running some form of a *nix kernel, the only debate is over desktop usage.

3 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

Yeah they're hard to use, the learning curve if charted out is a cliff. Unless you're using a MAC in which case most of the usefulness is taken away from the system, because as a Unix distribution it has way less compatibility with a lot of the other libraries that make *nix so powerful. We're living in a world where 80% of the computers are running some form of a *nix kernel, the only debate is over desktop usage.

so you're saying they're very powerful/configurable, but not very user friendly?  Yeah, if I've got that right, then yes I agree :)

although, I should say my grandma's been using Ubuntu for years and it's been great :D

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

so you're saying they're very powerful/configurable, but not very user friendly?  Yeah, if I've got that right, then yes I agree :)

although, I should say my grandma's been using Ubuntu for years and it's been great :D

Nice! Go grandma! Yeah that's basically what I was saying.

I really like some of them, and even the UI has gotten better, apt-get and yum really aren't that hard to use, but setting them up to find the right libraries is a pain in the butt. And VIM is the bane of my existence.

53 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

You both must be smokin the good stuff.

Well, guys, it's all different from case to case. Some peoples' hardware is just like that, or something might have happened on the software side, probably due to the different combo of apps. To me, that does seem just a little bit above average, but nothing to be worried about. The spikes however, might require some attention. Post back when you know what's causing these spikes or a suspicion. We can help!