I'm done with the Fractal Node 304

AustinTheIntern

I don't think you guys are getting the point. I can't even REMOVE the screws from the mounts. 

Often a problem with a bad size screw driver that doesn't fit properly then you will just destroy the screws

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Its like when you hit a jar with a spoon :)

And then it freaking explodes.

So much glass. Everywhere

The Arctic Demon:  i7 4770k | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F12s | (2) Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 Crossfire | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Corsair AX 850 | Samsung 840 500 GB | Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White | NZXT Hue 

Peripherals: Logitech G600 gaming mouse | Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire with Cherry MX Green Switches | QNIX QX2710 LED 2560x1440p PLS monitor | Logitech Rumblepad 2

I just joined this forum to agree on OP.  I am having exactly same issue.

Some of you said it's to be expected from "budget" case but it's not exactly the case at its current price while I agree that it was back then when it was on sale for 49.99.  And to experience of that kind of frustration when you first bought a product from new company is never good. 

Just what's the point of tightening cage so hard which needs to be removed immediately, and with incredibly cheap soft screw to begin with?  I never had that kind of problem with sub $30 cases.

I just resorted to leaving the cage in place and install components because my 30 day return period is well over for Newegg.  I contacted Fractal through email and got reply after two weeks.  :/  I guess I should be glad that I got a reply at all...?  It's been another 5 days since I sent another email but I've received no reply yet.

Since it seems like this forum is monitored by Fractal employee, I hope this will expedite support process. :/

E3-1230v2 | H77N-WIFI | HD7950 | 8GB | Node 304

I just joined this forum to agree on OP.  I am having exactly same issue.

Some of you said it's to be expected from "budget" case but it's not exactly the case at its current price while I agree that it was back then when it was on sale for 49.99.  And to experience of that kind of frustration when you first bought a product from new company is never good. 

Just what's the point of tightening cage so hard which needs to be removed immediately, and with incredibly cheap soft screw to begin with?  I never had that kind of problem with sub $30 cases.

I just resorted to leaving the cage in place and install components because my 30 day return period is well over for Newegg.  I contacted Fractal through email and got reply after two weeks.  :/  I guess I should be glad that I got a reply at all...?  It's been another 5 days since I sent another email but I've received no reply yet.

Since it seems like this forum is monitored by Fractal employee, I hope this will expedite support process. :/

They actually responded to me within a day. Thank you for agreeing with me and sharing my frustration...as opposed to people who think it's okay for this to happen. I'm currently using a white Node 304 ($100) and I took around 1 hour hammering down the nail so I could take it out. Ugh. 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

@figuremania  I am sorry to hear you are having this issue and doubly sorry to hear that it took over two weeks to get a response as that is not at all our normal response time.  I will check with Tech Support Team on your issue.  If you PM me with your email address I will follow up with them to make sure they have your record.

again, pictures would be helpful ;)  Nobody is picking on you per say, but we can only assess and provide solutions, comments, and thoughts based on what's given. 

Okay, here's the pictures.

This is the stripped one.  It is too small for me to do anything without destroying whatever's nearby.

post-40812-0-67070500-1380238233_thumb.j

This is the replaced screw that comes with the case.  It's just durable, the way it should be. (it's on other cage btw.)

post-40812-0-58590200-1380238235_thumb.j

Why can't Fractal just use better screw to begin with is unfathomable.

It just can't be cost reduction issue when better screws are included with case.

I did receive the reply this morning so ranting on this forum has its effects, it seems.  Although I didn't get the answer I would've liked to hear.

I have a Node 304 White and I can confirm that the screws are indeed flimsy and easily stripped, but by no means are they too tight to remove. I simply used a bigger than average screwdriver tip. If it's really that tight, get a drill, make sure it's on the counter-clockwise setting, push it down on the screw with your mighty strength, and pull the trigger. 

The only real problem I had with that particular screw is the fact that the cage doesn't line up properly with the case, so the screw can only be installed at an angle, pretty much cross-threaded.

but by no means are they too tight to remove. 

You are speaking out of your experience and I'm speaking out of mine.  I had no problem removing two out of three screws  ( well, stripped them a little still ) that hold individual cages with my hand.  And this middle one, is actually giving me its middle finger.

The only real problem I had with that particular screw is the fact that the cage doesn't line up properly with the case, so the screw can only be installed at an angle, pretty much cross-threaded.

This too.  My picture doesn't really show it but it is inserted at an angle as well.

I am not sure why I'm making such a big deal out it.  Probably because I expected so much more from it.  But whatever, I guess I gotta live with that since Fractal won't cross ship the case.

• 4 months later...

I'm having the EXACT same issue with the Node 304; the screws are so terribly tight or worn out that its almost impossible to remove them.

Through sheer brute force, I've managed to remove two out of three; the last one is where the PCI slot is and I can't remove it at all. Worst thing is that its located where the PCIe slots are, and I can't place my Graphic Card!

I've tried WD40, using Pliers (removed the front fans and tried to pry it out from below)...all to no avail.

Any tips on how you guys managed to remove the stripped screws without damaging the case?

I'm having the EXACT same issue with the Node 304; the screws are so terribly tight or worn out that its almost impossible to remove them.

Through sheer brute force, I've managed to remove two out of three; the last one is where the PCI slot is and I can't remove it at all. Worst thing is that its located where the PCIe slots are, and I can't place my Graphic Card!

I've tried WD40, using Pliers (removed the front fans and tried to pry it out from below)...all to no avail.

Any tips on how you guys managed to remove the stripped screws without damaging the case?

contact fractal design with your issue.