Need a new router

yung metal

Hey guys on LTT,

I recently moved, and now I have to use wifi sadly, I've been using this old Telstra modern/router which is not a very nice modem/router, regarding signal strength and being able to get through one bloody wall without any packet loss. Anyways my price range is around $200 (AUD) "Australian Dollar" max, and as I said before it only really has to go through 1 wall, and it's around 10 meters away from the modern.

I'm currently using an ASUS PCE-AC56 as my wifi card of choice.

Thanks, lads.

8 minutes ago, yung metal said:

Hey guys on LTT,

I recently moved, and now I have to use wifi sadly, I've been using this old Telstra modern/router which is not a very nice modern/router, regarding signal strength and being able to get through one bloody wall without any packet loss. Anyways my price range is around $200 (AUD) "Australian Dollar" max, and as I said before it only really has to go through 1 wall, and it's around 10 meters away from the modern.

I'm currently using an ASUS PCE-AC56 as my wifi card of choice.

Thanks, lads.

most any of the asus AC routers are good

ac66u or something

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Are you on cable or ADSL? If you're on ADSL, the DSL series from Asus is pretty good. If you're on cable then the AC series from Asus is not bad either. Another option would be the 7800's from Billion for ADSL if you needed more specific things like VOIP.

11 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Are you on cable or ADSL? If you're on ADSL, the DSL series from Asus is pretty good. If you're on cable then the AC series from Asus is not bad either. Another option would be the 7800's from Billion for ADSL if you needed more specific things like VOIP.

Right now I'm on ADSL +2 (24/1) and even with when NBN hits my area one day the new speeds of 30 megabits is the max my net will ever hit and I don't need VOIP. Yay Tony Abbott....

Just now, yung metal said:

Right now I'm on ADSL +2 (24/1) and even with when NBN hits my area one day the new speeds of 30 megabits is the max my net will ever hit. Yay Tony Abbott....

How far are you from the exchange? The 7800's would be a better bet if you are further.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

How far are you from the exchange? The 7800's would be a better bet if you are further.

Ahhh about 3km from the exchange.

3 minutes ago, yung metal said:

Ahhh about 3km from the exchange.

Yeah in that case the Billion's would be a better bet. They use a different chipset for the modem side of things that copes better with long distance runs

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Yeah in that case the Billion's would be a better bet. They use a different chipset for the modem side of things that copes better with long distance runs

Oh I didn't know about that, is there range good though? That's my main concern.

1 minute ago, yung metal said:

Oh I didn't know about that, is there range good though? That's my main concern.

It's still going to be a 3-6dBi transmitter no matter what you get. If space is an issue, consider a seperate router and multiple access points. Otherwise certain brands of router/AP combos do support their extenders and having a universal SSID.

I tried fighting with different routers to improve my wireless signal in my house and in the end the only solution that worked for me was Ubiquiti's UniFi Access Points like Linus reviewed a while back. I got the smaller $70 APs that go into a wall outlet so they are out of the way, PoE, and add RJ-45 connections into the rooms also. 2 of them with the same SSID on opposite sides of my house and I can walk from one side to the other with only a single packet drop and without impacting HD streaming (thanks to buffering of course, but still).

-KuJoe

Id go with the Netgear R6300v2. It has insane wifi speeds for that price point. Though iv'e had a problem with routers with Linksys internal antennas to die quickly but not sure about the Netgear ones. But I reommend this one.

What modem router are you using now? 

Also, do you want to replace the modem and router part? Or just get a new router?

Of the top of my head, I say go with the Asus RT-AC66U for 140$ US on Newegg. Here is a full review. Would go well with your Asus AC card.