Cloning OS to M.2

Go to solution Solved by MatrixGrenade,

Yes, you can use a program like marcium reflect witch  is what is use to clone drives. And it doesn't cancel any licenses once the drive is copied so u can use the same windows too.

I currently have a 120GB crucial SSD and I'm going to be moving my system to a ITX size and the new motherboard for this build will have an M.2 slot on it.

If I wanted to say get an M.2 SSD and use it as my boot drive for my OS (which is currently located on the aforementioned SSD) is there a way that I can clone my entire SSD (program, OS, files, etc) over to the M.2 drive so I won't have to go through the whole deal with reinstalling windows, programs, or possibly having to get my software keys reset?

Yes, you can use a program like marcium reflect witch  is what is use to clone drives. And it doesn't cancel any licenses once the drive is copied so u can use the same windows too.

You could use the program that @MatrixGrenade suggested, but I would recommend that you do a clean install on your M.2 drive, as cloning a drive can have many negative effects, one being performance. It might be a bit more of a pain while doing the fresh install, but it's much better in the long run.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I personally have used Macrium Reflect, mentioned in an earlier posr than minr. WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! Simple to use, can be used for free and its great for scheduling or manually doing backups on Windows machines. Try it. should work well from my experience with it.

On 2/3/2016 at 8:14 PM, thatguyyouknow75 said:

It's easier to reinstall if possible. Avoid some headaches

You are very very correct. Its always better, if you can, to do a clean install. I will definately admit that and encourage them to do that. The reason I did it wan my boot SSD hadnt been delivered yet ,I built and tested the machine with a rotating drive first soo.... It was basically a clean install when I did it, I just gad everything set for my preferences. PLUS, now I have the rotating drive locked in my safe as an archive when my drive EVENTUALLY dies.. All drives die s sooner or later, we all hope for later