I wanna get into folding and need a rig in pcpartpicker

Budget $350

and i'm willing to do used parts, don't wanna get to involved just something my parents can write off as charity and I can write off as community service for school

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just use your current build even at medium settings you'll get better PPD than what ever $300 can get you

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Wait. Folding is considered community service?!?!?! OMG YES! There are some 6000 series selling cheap for used. Go for a cheap pentium and see iff you can go into GPU folding. Another thing is try to use your current rig.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Wait. Folding is considered community service?!?!?! OMG YES! There are some 6000 series selling cheap for used. Go for a cheap pentium and see iff you can go into GPU folding. Another thing is try to use your current rig.

Yeah my school said lots of kids do folding and they write it off

I'll give it a go tonight when I go to bed and see how many hours I can rack off 

#KilledMyWife 

I'll give it a go tonight when I go to bed and see how many hours I can rack off

Wow in that case I'm a real overachiever (I get like 70k PPD)

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

OMG I NEED TO SEE IF MY SCHOOL ACCEPT THIS

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

its all extra credit at my tech school... 

#KilledMyWife 

What does folding rely on CPU, GPU or both?

Depends on what setting you have it on.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

What does folding rely on CPU, GPU or both?

It can be both but unless you have a beast CPU or a 4P build GPU is usually better.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

been folding for 10 minutes, feels pretty good and I can still browse the web just fine

#KilledMyWife 

Just get a basic board and CPU - you are not even going to Fold on the CPU - 2Gb ram, small hard drive. Then with what you have left get the best GPU possible. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

This is considered a community service AND tax write off?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

This is considered a community service AND tax write off?

yeah, its charity work my man

#KilledMyWife 

OK - let's clear something up.

You are donating your computer time to Folding - which is NOT and never will be, a recognized charity. Cancer, various orginazations are, but this isn't one of them. This is a research project that can hopefully help cure cancer, along with various other diseases.

So - some schools may count this as your charity work. Maybe. Ask before hand and find out EXACTLY what documentation you need to prove you are doing it.

Also - there is not, never has been and never will be, a tax write off for Folding. If your accountant says you can, great. Make sure he is their to represent you when audited.

Some people write off computers as part of a home office. Great.... but, if Folding, you cannot write off the power used, etc. It's not a charitable donation. Revenue Canada, and most likely the IRS and any other countries tax overseerer, typically only recoconize donations make to registered charities. Those that provide you with a official tax receipt. Guess what? You won't get one from Stanford or Pande. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99