VERY long Ethernet cord, or POOR working netear powerline

JTB77

I currently have a netgear powerline 1200 (advertised speeds of up to 1200 megaBITS per second), my internet speed is somewhat fast, and I can easily get 170 megabits per second on my laptop(asus ux305fa) with mediocre wifi.  I use the netgear because my router is down a flight of stairs, then through 3 rooms, BUT I ONLY get 30-50 megabits per seconds with the netgear.  THINK  that I will replace netgear with either a INTERNAL network card, Or a VERY VERY long Ethernet cable.

What would be the best for me, should I stick with the netgear, should a get a networking card, or should I get a Ethernet cable.  If I get an Ethernet cable I don't know what Id get, Ive heard of cat 9 and cat 7 but I don't know what they are.

Thanks in advance, JTB

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, JTB77 said:

I currently have a netgear powerline 1200 (advertised speeds of up to 1200 megaBITS per second), my internet speed is somewhat fast, and I can easily get 170 megabits per second on my laptop(asus ux305fa) with mediocre wifi.  I use the netgear because my router is down a flight of stairs, then through 3 rooms, BUT I ONLY get 30-50 megabits per seconds with the netgear.  THINK  that I will replace netgear with either a INTERNAL network card, Or a VERY VERY long Ethernet cable.

What would be the best for me, should I stick with the netgear, should a get a networking card, or should I get a Ethernet cable.  If I get an Ethernet cable I don't know what Id get, Ive heard of cat 9 and cat 7 but I don't know what they are.

Thanks in advance, JTB

if you don't care about having a very long ethernet cable do that with cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet

• Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core | GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3P | Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX | Corsair Carbide Series 200R -- WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Sandisk SSD 128GB | Corsair CX 750W | AOC e2250Swdn Black 22" | Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) |

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

A VERY long Ethernet cable will give you the fastest speeds, lowest latency and the lowest costs. IMO I would try to route an Ethernet cable if you can for the best speeds and use a wi-fi card only if you absolutely have to.  

How would I put it so it would be out of the way? I am going to the distance now.

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

Most power line adapters I've seen aren't very fast, regardless of advertised speeds. If you're going over 100ft, get Cat 6. Cat 6 is good up to ~300ft... If you don't already have a crimper, maybe look at the platinum tools ends and crimpers, they make life so easy for terminating... Example of the ends: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI9VU2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

If your house has AC vents, easiest to just run the wire through that vs using a fish line. You might even get away with running wire to a central spot in the house and moving the wireless router there.

15 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Most power line adapters I've seen aren't very fast, regardless of advertised speeds. If you're going over 100ft, get Cat 6. Cat 6 is good up to ~300ft... If you don't already have a crimper, maybe look at the platinum tools ends and crimpers, they make life so easy for terminating... Example of the ends: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI9VU2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

If your house has AC vents, easiest to just run the wire through that vs using a fish line. You might even get away with running wire to a central spot in the house and moving the wireless router there.

I just measured the distance, Id be going about 90 feet if Im lucky, but Id need some kind of cable cover because I just talked to my dad and said he doesn't like the idea to much of seeing the cable

Could I paint the cable covers? It would be nice to have them the color of the wall in each room

What would be some somewhat cheap cable covers that I could paint that would be 80-100 feet?

The total cost would have to be under $80 cheaper is better for the covers, I already have paint

I have a 100ft Ethernet cable network setup at home (cat 5e) and if you don't like seeing wires just mount the wire on your baseboards. I bought this https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.gb-gb-12-in-plastic-staple-white-15-pack.1000140949.html

Very organize and simple but just a lot of mounting. If your cable matches the baseboard then the color of the mount will make it seem like its not there.

If your router support 1gpbs as well as any switches you have cat5e is fine. if your planning to go with da Linus crazy 10gbps LAN way or want to future proof get cat6a.

7 hours ago, JTB77 said:

I just measured the distance, Id be going about 90 feet if Im lucky, but Id need some kind of cable cover because I just talked to my dad and said he doesn't like the idea to much of seeing the cable

run it through the air ducts in your house

or behind the baseboard..thats what I do when I rewire a house for ethernet

one other option if you have the cables already is MOCA adapters

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile