Need a high range, good router or AP

devenson2017

So my Netgear router is getting old and doesn't work well in my home anymore. I was looking at new ones and came across Linus's Xclaim Xi-3 saying it is good. I wonder if there is any other router that has good range and penetration power. My budget is $300. Thanks LTT Community

|My Rig| |Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.70GHz| |GT 740| |16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2133MHz| |240GB PNY SSD, 1TB WD Blue (RAID 0), 320GB Backup Drive| |Corsair 600C| |EVGA Supernove 850 G2| 

The Xclaim Xi-3 is a nice device, but it's a AP, not a router. A wireless router is actually a wired router, switch, and AP all in one, while a AP is just the wireless portion. 

Check out the ASUS RT-AC3100. Its like the Asus RT-AC88U except slightly different styling and 4 LAN ports instead of 8. A bit overkill, but I was looking for something at your price point. If you want something a little less flashy, check out the ASUS RT-AC68U.

4 minutes ago, Trikein said:

The Xclaim Xi-3 is a nice device, but it's a AP, not a router. A wireless router is actually a wired router, switch, and AP all in one, while a AP is just the wireless portion. 

Check out the ASUS RT-AC3100. Its like the Asus RT-AC88U except slightly different styling and 4 LAN ports instead of 8. A bit overkill, but I was looking for something at your price point. If you want something a little less flashy, check out the ASUS RT-AC68U.

AP my mistake. I just need something to do the wifi

|My Rig| |Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.70GHz| |GT 740| |16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2133MHz| |240GB PNY SSD, 1TB WD Blue (RAID 0), 320GB Backup Drive| |Corsair 600C| |EVGA Supernove 850 G2| 

You sure? Netgear doesn't make many consumer APs. Mostly routers. What model Netgear would you be replacing?

Just now, Trikein said:

You sure? Netgear doesn't make many consumer APs. Mostly routers. What model Netgear would you be replacing?

i have a netgear router, with wifi built in but the wifi is trash. So i will probably just get an AP as the router is semi solid. That or make a pfsense router and pair with an AP