Help me, I'm a noob

DutchTexan

If I don't know anything about computers other than a few, basic part names, like the r9 380 graphics card and a 500 watt continuous power supply I'm looking at, would I realistically be able to put a whole computer together? Assuming I buy a complete parts list and have a static-free work bench, do you think I could realistically be competent enough to plug everything together properly and install all the proper software and drivers and whatever in the same day? I am mechanically inclined and think I have all the proper tools, but I understand 0 aspects of overclocking and all the proper software and drivers, other than a 64 bit windows 10 operating system, that I would need and/or need to troubleshoot after it doesn't magically turn into a computer. 

My main concerns are that I spend around $850 for on a tower desktop and then fail miserably to turn it into a fully functioning computer. I have a nice mechanical keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers already. I'm just concerned with a CPU.

Would some people at the forum kindly talk me into or out of building my first computer and everything that would involve, please?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

https://pcpartpicker.com/ has a full listing of the necessary parts and allows you to create a mock build on site from a listing of most of the parts presently on market.

All it took me was a 20-40 minute vid on youtube and pc partpicker as a resource. 

Edit: for reference you need a - CPU - Motherboard - Power supply - graphics card - RAM - Hard drive/Solid state drive - Case - and CPU Cooler.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

oh yeah its a lot easier than you think. just take a look at any of Linus's build guides and you'll know enough to go from there. 

for the parts, just ask around the forum and people love to make part lists for you. 

Do you already have an OS? If not, I'll grab a Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB instead.

Right. First up is the build. Here's what I'd recommend. Use the SSD for your OS and primary applications/games and the HDD for the rest of your stuff:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrtHwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrtHwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $841.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-01 00:36 EST-0500

I've purposely avoided overclocking altogether for both practicality and budget restraints. The case and PSU will allow for easy cable management.

As for building the actual computer, Linus and Newegg have some great tutorials online.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Im more worried about the whole software side of things. I'm sure I can figure out how to plug stuff together, but it's the whole drivers and software to make an operating system and all that function that worries me most. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

2 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Im more worried about the whole software side of things. I'm sure I can figure out how to plug stuff together, but it's the whole drivers and software to make an operating system and all that function that worries me most. 

The parts that need them usually come with a disk that contains the software, although a more current version can often be downloaded from the manufacturers site, same way you would download any other file off the internet it may need to go to a specific place on the computer but they usually use an installer with the file that will handle that automatically.

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Do you already have an OS? If not, I'll grab a Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB instead.

Right. First up is the build. Here's what I'd recommend. Use the SSD for your OS and primary applications/games and the HDD for the rest of your stuff:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrtHwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrtHwP/by_merchant/

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 

I've purposely avoided overclocking altogether for both practicality and budget restraints. The case and PSU will allow for easy cable management.

As for building the actual computer, Linus and Newegg have some great tutorials online.

So, buy all this, a mega memory stick, and get oem 64 bit Windows 10. (could I have 16 gb ram with all this, or is it kind of irrelevant?) It includes all the hardware, screws ect? 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

4 minutes ago, BrandedUpontheGrave said:

The parts that need them usually come with a disk that contains the software, although a more current version can often be downloaded from the manufacturers site, same way you would download any other file off the internet it may need to go to a specific place on the computer but they usually use an installer with the file that will handle that automatically.

Okay, thank you. Other than windows 10 and all the basic software for the hardware, what drivers or other software would I need for like youtube, email, everyday use ect ect?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

3 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

So, buy all this, a mega memory stick, and get oem 64 bit Windows 10. (could I have 16 gb ram with all this, or is it kind of irrelevant?) It includes all the hardware, screws ect? 

Yeah, it'll include everything.

8GB will be fine, unless you're planning to do some rendering and editing?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

heres a pretty decent build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4hB7zy

as for the software its pretty easy.

to install windows, just grab a 4GB USB flash drive and on another computer, download and install this on the USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
then go to your new computer and plug the flash drive in
turn on the computer and keep hitting Delete to enter the computers Bios, from here you can tell the computer which drive to boot from.
tell the computer to boot from the USB then save and restart the computer.
It will show up with a windows installation screen, from here you basically tell it what drive to install windows on, enter your key (more info below) and let      it do the rest
from there you can go online and download all the programs you want (i recommend starting at Ninite.com)
the drivers are easy, essentially just go to the manufacturers website and download and install it (graphics card is most important to keep up to date)
and you're good to go! :D i'm here if you need any help buddy!

to buy windows you can either spend $150 on an offical windows key, or spend $30-40 on a key from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/43dkwd/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/
trust me, i've never had a problem with this place :)

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Yeah, it'll include everything.

8GB will be fine, unless you're planning to do some rendering and editing?

Not really, but in my mind 16GB is just better than 8 and 2TB is better than 1. From what I understand upgrading ram and hard drive memory is pretty cheap 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

4 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Okay, thank you. Other than windows 10 and all the basic software for the hardware, what drivers or other software would I need for like youtube, email, everyday use ect ect?

Shouldn't need more than your web browser, windows comes with one pre-installed and with that you can download any other browser you prefer, OEM driver disks sometimes have browsers like chrome as an install option as well. Drivers for flash players and the like will usually prompt an update in browser when outdated and direct you to the proper download location.

6 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

The case and motherboard will in most cases include all the necessary screws and cables for installation. As well as a manual on the process for reference.

2 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

heres a pretty decent build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4hB7zy

as for the software its pretty easy.

to install windows, just grab a 4GB USB flash drive and on another computer, download and install this on the USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
then go to your new computer and plug the flash drive in
turn on the computer and keep hitting Delete to enter the computers Bios, from here you can tell the computer which drive to boot from.
tell the computer to boot from the USB then save and restart the computer.
It will show up with a windows installation screen, from here you basically tell it what drive to install windows on, enter your key (more info below) and let      it do the rest
from there you can go online and download all the programs you want (i recommend starting at Ninite.com)
the drivers are easy, essentially just go to the manufacturers website and download and install it (graphics card is most important to keep up to date)
and you're good to go! :D i'm here if you need any help buddy!

to buy windows you can either spend $150 on an offical windows key, or spend $30-40 on a key from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/43dkwd/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/

Wow thank you so much

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

1 minute ago, DutchTexan said:

Not really, but in my mind 16GB is just better than 8 and 2TB is better than 1. From what I understand upgrading ram and hard drive memory is pretty cheap 

You're looking at about an extra $15 for a 2TB HDD and another $30 for a 16GB setup which will put you over budget.

Of course both are going be better than what I've offered but are they really necessary for what you're doing?

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

You're looking at about an extra $15 for a 2TB HDD and another $30 for a 16GB setup which will put you over budget.

Of course both are going be better than what I've offered but are they really necessary for what you're doing?

From what other people tell me I really don't need to spend more than like $500, but I really just want to make a start up investment concrete and then not touch the the thing for at least 6 years

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

4 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

From what other people tell me I really don't need to spend more than like $500, but I really just want to make a start up investment concrete and then not touch the the thing for at least 6 years

AFAIK, 1TB should last for ages. Same goes for RAM, I'd rather rock 8GB now and add another 8GB later when you really need it. It's not a hard process to install another stick.

If you REALLY need 2TB of HDD space and 16GB of RAM, I'd just drop to a 120GB SSD and use the saved money to buy both.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

AFAIK, 1TB should last for ages. Same goes for RAM, I'd rather rock 8GB now and add another 8GB later when you really need it. It's not a hard process to install another stick.

If you REALLY need 2TB of HDD space and 16GB of RAM, I'd just drop to a 120GB SSD and use the saved money to buy both.

I suppose that depends on how much he downloads/installs, I've never had a full one TB drive, but I can burn through 500GB in no time.

Alright y'all I'm gonna buy all this:

25 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Buy a a huge memory stick and do this:

13 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

or spend $30-40 on a key from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/43dkwd/h_windows_7_8_81_10_windows_server_office_visio/

and this:

8 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You're looking at about an extra $15 for a 2TB HDD and another $30 for a 16GB

and pray its less than $1200 including a new monitor I want for around $140, that all the components work, that I can put it all together, and that I wont have to spend any more money for at least 6 years.

Did I miss anything really important?

I'll order it all in a week or so and then get back to y'all with my progress/questions

Thanks a million, Internets

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

I would definitely go for the skylake (newest generation) 6xxx series intel processors. look at the parts list i got you

3 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

I would definitely go for the skylake (newest generation) 6xxx series intel processors. look at the parts list i got you

Without overclocking, the 6400 will be slower than the 4460.  I would do the 6500 unless you get a Z170 mobo.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Without overclocking, the 6400 will be slower than the 4460.  I would do the 6500 unless you get a Z170 mobo.

Yeah no overclocking. you can get the 6500 if you want that slight boost but you only need a h170 board, they're WAY cheaper too. you only need z170 if you're overclocking and stuff and he's clearly not going to do anything like that.

Yeah no overclocking. you can get the 6500 if you want that slight boost but you only need a h170 board, they're WAY cheaper too. you only need z170 if you're overclocking and stuff and he's clearly not going to do anything like that.

That is my point.  If he is not overclocking, the 6400 would be worse than the 4460.

Anyways, he can do Skylake with a 390 and have overclocking support for later on:  Buy a cooler; watch a few videos; look up a few data sheets; then punch in a few numbers and the 6500 now runs at 4.2 GHz.  Easy peasy.  ^_^

$840:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.98 @ Directron)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($3.98 @ OutletPC)  <Front intake
Case Fan: Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($3.98 @ OutletPC)  <Front intake
Total: $820.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-01 02:34 EST-0500

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

That is my point.  If he is not overclocking, the 6400 would be worse than the 4460.

Anyways, he can do Skylake with a 390 and have overclocking support for later on:  Buy a cooler; watch a few videos; look up a few data sheets; then punch in a few numbers and the 6500 now runs at 4.2 GHz.  Easy peasy.  ^_^

$840:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.98 @ Directron)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $820.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-01 02:34 EST-0500

nice. but that CPU isn't overclockable.. unless you do the super difficult BCLK overclock.. I don't recommend that especially for him. just keep it simple and cheap. thats a good build though. 

nice. but that CPU isn't overclockable.. unless you do the super difficult BCLK overclock.. I don't recommend that especially for him. just keep it simple and cheap. thats a good build though. 

... but it IS overclockable:  http://overclocking.guide/intel-skylake-non-k-overclocking-bios-list/

Overclocking is simple.  Super difficult?  What?  You punch in numbers and click on:  Save and Exit9_9xD:D

11 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

~snip~

There's some good pointers in here already so I won't bother repeating that,

But I will say, you're more than capable of putting together a functional PC once you've bought compatible parts. I was concerned about it too when I went to build my PC, but once you crack open the boxes and have a go it really is quite easy. Most things are pretty much plug and play, just line up the right cords to the right slot (generally wont fit in the wrong one) and ta-da working PC. (they even come with manuals that show you where to put them :P )

Enjoy though, and beware, its a bug, ever since I built the first I've been adding and changing, and planning the next big build.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe