High ping, low speeds

no_clntrol

Since I got my new PC and upgraded to Win10, about a month ago, I have been experiencing connectivity issues. Sometimes it just disconnects completely and I have to restart my router and/or homeplug. Most of the time I will just get a very high ping, over 2500ms in TeamSpeak and completely freezing in place if playing a game. I ran an internet speed test thingy when it happened and I got around 0.5mb/s instead of my usual 21. What could be causing this? I also ran the windows troubleshooter, and it usually says that a network protocol is missing, and when I attempt to fix it it ends up being "Not fixed" along with another issue that says something about a broken connection, the problem however usually goes away even though it says that it isn't fixed. Router is a Netgear R6100, not sure if it matters but my other specs are http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJQnbv

Is this the text below my post?

2 minutes ago, no_clntrol said:

Since I got my new PC and upgraded to Win10, about a month ago, I have been experiencing connectivity issues. Sometimes it just disconnects completely and I have to restart my router and/or homeplug. Most of the time I will just get a very high ping, over 2500ms in TeamSpeak and completely freezing in place if playing a game. I ran an internet speed test thingy when it happened and I got around 0.5mb/s instead of my usual 21. What could be causing this? I also ran the windows troubleshooter, and it usually says that a network protocol is missing, and when I attempt to fix it it ends up being "Not fixed" along with another issue that says something about a broken connection, the problem however usually goes away even though it says that it isn't fixed. Router is a Netgear R6100, not sure if it matters but my other specs are http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJQnbv

Do you have any other devices that you could test? e.g another computer

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Just now, A Guy Eating Cereal said:

Do you have any other devices that you could test? e.g another computer

When this happens and troubleshooter doesn't fix it, I hook up my phone via USB and share internet from it, so it sure is working on other devices.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

First thing I would do is reinstall/update your NIC's drivers. 

As someone who is only used to "Plug n play" when it comes to networking, how do I do this?

3 minutes ago, no_clntrol said:

As someone who is only used to "Plug n play" when it comes to networking, how do I do this?

Go into device manager, find the network adapter, right click and select update drivers. 

If that doesn't work, you may need to find what the network adapter is (right click > properties > details), then download the drivers from the manufacturer's site. 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Go into device manager, find the network adapter, right click and select update drivers. 

If that doesn't work, you may need to find what the network adapter is (right click > properties > details), then download the drivers from the manufacturer's site. 

Tried updating them and it worked fine for about an hour, but now the issues is back and this time both my phone and computer is affected by it. Same things happening though, well over 1000ms ping in TeamSpeak, 0.1-0.5 download speed. Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, no_clntrol said:

Tried updating them and it worked fine for about an hour, but now the issues is back and this time both my phone and computer is affected by it. Same things happening though, well over 1000ms ping in TeamSpeak, 0.1-0.5 download speed. Any ideas?

If it's happening on your phone too, then it's likely an issue with your router. Have you tried resetting the router to default settings? If that doesn't work, may be worth updating the firmware. 

What modem/router/gateway do you have and who is your ISP? Also, are you wired or wireless? My guess is maybe ISP turned on IPv6 on your gateway but you don't have it enabled on your NIC.

7 hours ago, no_clntrol said:

I also ran the windows troubleshooter, and it usually says that a network protocol is missing, and when I attempt to fix it it ends up being "Not fixed"

Can you include the error exactly? Couple you also include a screenshot of your network properties? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click on which ever connection your using and click "Properties". Should look something like this:

vista_e08.gif

On 2016-01-31 at 11:51 PM, Trikein said:

What modem/router/gateway do you have and who is your ISP? Also, are you wired or wireless? My guess is maybe ISP turned on IPv6 on your gateway but you don't have it enabled on your NIC.

Can you include the error exactly? Couple you also include a screenshot of your network properties? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click on which ever connection your using and click "Properties". Should look something like this:

vista_e08.gif

Router is a Netgear R6100, and I am using a homeplug because it's in another room, I suppose that would count as wireless. Here are the errors I am getting and here are my network properties, sorry for the very messy post, no idea why it turned out like this..

2140257ada.pnge131079b29.jpg

On 2016-01-31 at 5:58 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

If it's happening on your phone too, then it's likely an issue with your router. Have you tried resetting the router to default settings? If that doesn't work, may be worth updating the firmware. 

Sorry for not responding, but it's been working fine until tonight, dropped conncetion a couple of times but it never got slowed down or anything until just a couple of minutes ago.