Cpu temps with Civ 5

D-guitarist
Go to solution Solved by givegomezthegun,

70's are considered ok, they are higher than I personally like to see.  

Might sound like a stupid question, but is your heat sink clean?  If it's been a while since you cleaned it out, dust build up will harm cooling performance.  Depending how old the thermal paste is and what type, that could affect it as well.

That being said.. most strategy games are really cpu intensive, if you're not seeing temps like that in anything else I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi, 

At the moment i have a Hyper 212 Evo on my cpu (i5-4690) , for majority of games it cools it sufficiently, however when playing civ 5 temperatures rocket up to 71-74 degree's C 

is this normal? or should I be upgrading to a water cooler?

-D

Might sound like a stupid question, but is your heat sink clean?  If it's been a while since you cleaned it out, dust build up will harm cooling performance.  Depending how old the thermal paste is and what type, that could affect it as well.

That being said.. most strategy games are really cpu intensive, if you're not seeing temps like that in anything else I wouldn't worry too much.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

i haven't touched it since I built it 2 years ago... so might be a tad dirty at this point

I don't worry about my 4690k until it passes 80C. Average temp is 50-60C while gaming.

i haven't touched it since I built it 2 years ago... so might be a tad dirty at this point

It might be worthwhile for you to go out and grab some type of air duster and give your heatsink and fan a good cleaning.

A friend of mine once asked why their cpu was overheating with a hyper 212.. When I took a look...

HZLKAgZ.jpg

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

It might be worthwhile for you to go out and grab some type of air duster and give your heatsink and fan a good cleaning.

A friend of mine once asked why their cpu was overheating with a hyper 212.. When I took a look...

HZLKAgZ.jpg

Oh i thought you meant the thermal compound itself - no i dust it about once a month to the fan/heatsink itself are fairly clean

Looks normal to me. CIV is CPU heavy game so you can expect high temps with it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv