Unused PCI Slots Conversion to Fan Mount?

poohbacca

Hello All --

I've been wondering about this for years (sorry if this has been posted already), but I was wondering if anybody could help me with this.

I just completed my fifth custom build, and here are some relevant specs:

Corsair 750D

Intel 6700K

Corsair H100i GTX (Mounted at the top)

EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid (Mounted as exhaust)

32 GB Corsair LPX 3000 Mhz

2x Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

5x 2 TB WD Black 7200 RPM

Corsair HX1000i PSU

So all in all, I was very happy with my temperatures idling around 32 C for CPU and 38 C for GPU, but with the recent addition of the hard drives, the temps have risen considerably to 42 C for CPU and 45 C for GPU at idle. Now, I know this is not really a concerning number, but seeing that I like to overclock, and these are non-overclocked numbers, I would love to get the temperatures down a little more.

My problem is the top of the case no longer has any more space for even a 120mm fan thanks to the watercooled radiator, and I really don't want to add some fans at the bottom of the case because of the dust.

I've been looking to physically modify the unused PCI slots in the back into a fan mount for an 140 mm exhaust fan to make airflow generally more efficient, and to get the hot HDD air out faster. I know there are PCI mounted fans, but they don't do much other than create turbulence and noise (tried this before a couple builds ago), and I was wondering if anybody knew a way to mount a fan on the pci slats in the back. I know the 140mm is too big, and about 30% of it will be covered, but I figured this would be a fairly efficient way to remove hot air even with that restriction. I'm not looking for zip tie solutions, but actual bracketing systems.

I'd love some suggestions -- I know my temps are low, but please don't comment saying not to worry -- it's a general knowledge component about the case that I would love to know & possibly implement to share with you all.

*****EDIT*****: I meant the PCI slats in the back of the case, NOT the PCI slots on the mobo -- sorry about the confusion!

Hmmm. Perhaps get an old PCI card and physically modify it hold a fan? Would it be a problem to just plug it into the slot?? Can you disable the slot in the BIOS?

This is an interesting idea but it makes me realize I don't know shit about PCI lol 

would be possible, maybe getting a PCi card and modify it and make a fan on it, cleaner and may be better

to game or not to game, that`s the question

I usually put a 92mm fan under the GPU on the empty PCI slots, just put a fan grille on the other side of said slots and screw the grille to the fan, squishing the PCI slot columns between it.

Hmmm. Perhaps get an old PCI card and physically modify it hold a fan? Would it be a problem to just plug it into the slot?? Can you disable the slot in the BIOS?

This is an interesting idea but it makes me realize I don't know shit about PCI lol 

No -- I meant not the PCI slots in mobo, but the actual slats in the back.

Could you not screw some short self tapping screws through a couple PCIe back plate covers and right into the fan's mounting holes? Those self tapping screws would go through case sheet metal pretty easy even with a normal screwdriver.

Could you not screw some short self tapping screws through a couple PCIe back plate covers and right into the fan's mounting holes? Those self tapping screws would go through case sheet metal pretty easy even with a normal screwdriver.

I thought about that, but I didn't want the screws to damage the cables behind the case in some way; sugru wouldn't be the best option for the next build :(

I thought about that, but I didn't want the screws to damage the cables behind the case in some way; sugru wouldn't be the best option for the next build :(

Don't think you'd damage cables, you can screw in from the back. Something like this:

xVXVIJn.jpg

Don't think you'd damage cables, you can screw in from the back. Something like this:

xVXVIJn.jpg

omg that's perfect what size fan is that???

omg that's perfect what size fan is that???

Prolly a 92mm as I mentioned above. Maybe not. I'unno. All I know is that 92mm fans work fine

Yea that picture is not scale. You would probably need a smaller fan, unless you want to screw into the backing of the case in which case you could use the exhaust fan mounts at the top as reference.

Yea that picture is not scale. You would probably need a smaller fan, unless you want to screw into the backing of the case in which case you could use the exhaust fan mounts at the top as reference.

Use a 92mm fan, and take out all of the black card slot things. Then put the fan on one side of the PCI slots, and a fan cover on the other side. The screw holes will line up so that nothing gets damaged on the case, but the fan cover holds the fan to the PCI slot slats