Windows 8 Installation Media?

Captain3xtreme

I know with windows 7 Microsoft offered a way to download the ISO and use their "Windows 7 usb-dvd tool" to create an installation disc. That was awesome, since I already owned the key why shouldn't I be able to get the installation media? Do they have the same thing for windows 8? I have read that you can use the same tool with a windows 8 ISO file but I can't find where to download it legally. Did they just decide you can't get the ISO file even when you own the operating system already or what?

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Can't you get an ISO from the Microsoft site?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Can't you get an ISO from the Microsoft site?

I'm looking everywhere and all I see is an option to re-download it if you already purchased it via download, which I did not. I bought a legitimate copy of the operating system from newegg.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

You might be thinking why do I need an ISO if I already have the disc, well I just purchased a windows 8 ultrabook and I intend on re-installing a fresh copy of the OS. I know that the ultrabook is going to come with a product key for windows on a sticker somewhere on it but I want to make sure I have a copy of windows 8 non pro edition to install it with and enter the key.

I got a key I can let you use.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I got a key I can let you use.

Thanks but I don't need it I just wanted to know if microsoft offered any way to obtain the windows 8 ISO legally when you already own a product key, the answer seems to be no after some more research. Sigh microsoft...

You can use the Windows 8 Upgrade utility http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only it will ask for your product key and then give you option on upgrading select 'by creating media' then 'iso' and it should download your Windows 8 iso. Only problem is that it will only run if you are running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows Developer Preview, so not if you already have Windows 8 installed.

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8-iso-x86-x64-file-directly-from-microsoft/

Torrent it. It's perfectly legal to torrent just the .iso, ignore any other Serials/Crack files included in the torrent. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thanks for the suggestions, what a let down that microsoft doesn't just publish it like they did with windows 7.

... not if you already have Windows 8 installed.

Not true, I've reinstalled Win 8 from Win 8 several times from the disk I created using Windows 8 Upgrade utility. Although I don't know if you can install from one key to another. Maybe that's what you mean?

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Not true, I've reinstalled Win 8 from Win 8 several times from the disk I created using Windows 8 Upgrade utility. Although I don't know if you can install from one key to another. Maybe that's what you mean?

I was just repeating what the website says about the Utility, and that Windows 8 isn't listed, if you already have the ISO downloaded and burned already you will be able to run it from any OS, but to download it from the Utility it doesn't mention Windows 8, although it could just not be listed because they don't expect people to run the Upgrade Utility if you are already running Windows 8.

I was just repeating what the website says about the Utility, and that Windows 8 isn't listed, if you already have the ISO downloaded and burned already you will be able to run it from any OS, but to download it from the Utility it doesn't mention Windows 8, although it could just not be listed because they don't expect people to run the Upgrade Utility if you are already running Windows 8.

The disk that the ugrade utility creates is just an install disk, like that you buy from a store. You don't even have to do an upgrade, you can do a clean install.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I was able to just use the windows 8 pro disc that I had from my desktop and it worked perfectly, didn't even have to enter a key I guess it just got it from the hardware or something.

You know you can re-install Windows 8 from Windows 8.

Do: Win+I > Change PC Settings > General. Then scroll down, you'll see 2 option to re-install Windows. One will keep your files, and the other will not.

Plan B, is to use your desktop, which has a disk drive, and make an ISO out of the Windows 8 disk (You can use the free software ImgBurn), and use Windows 7 ISO to USB/DVD free utility (http://wudt.codeplex.com/), to make an a USB drive bootable with Windows 8 on it, and simply boot from it on your laptop.