Gaming HTPC software

Not so long ago I built a Haswell-based ITX system to replace all my game consoles, and the hardware packs a serious punch, especially for it's price. However, I'm having some serious issues selecting and configuring software to meet my needs.

FWIW my specs:

Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz

8GB Dual channel RAM (2133, but crappy intel board only @ 1333)

ASROCK H97 mini ITX with 802.11ac & BT 4.0

Sapphire R9 380 2GB ITX-version

Corsair CX430

2x 1TB WD Blue

1x 3TB Hitachi

Corsair H60 AIO cooler

Coolermaster Elite 110 ITX case

My OS is Windows 10 Home, because SteamOS just isn't quite there for software support. I need some suggestions for a 10ft interface. I currently have Steam big picture and kodi, but they don't play nice. Also Kodi is buggy as fuck and never seems to work right for me (I've tried to use it numerous times).

My must-have list:

Emulators

Steam Games

Native Windows Games

Video and Music file playback

Streaming media playback (netflix, amazon prime, crunchyroll, funimation)

Is a 10' interface basically impossible with that feature list short of coding it myself?

Not so long ago I built a Haswell-based ITX system to replace all my game consoles, and the hardware packs a serious punch, especially for it's price. However, I'm having some serious issues selecting and configuring software to meet my needs.

FWIW my specs:

Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz

8GB Dual channel RAM (2133, but crappy intel board only @ 1333)

ASROCK H97 mini ITX with 802.11ac & BT 4.0

Sapphire R9 380 2GB ITX-version

Corsair CX430

2x 1TB WD Blue

1x 3TB Hitachi

Corsair H60 AIO cooler

Coolermaster Elite 110 ITX case

My OS is Windows 10 Home, because SteamOS just isn't quite there for software support. I need some suggestions for a 10ft interface. I currently have Steam big picture and kodi, but they don't play nice. Also Kodi is buggy as fuck and never seems to work right for me (I've tried to use it numerous times).

My must-have list:

Emulators

Steam Games

Native Windows Games

Video and Music file playback

Streaming media playback (netflix, amazon prime, crunchyroll, funimation)

Is a 10' interface basically impossible with that feature list short of coding it myself?

just use a mouse and keyboard or air mouse?

just use a mouse and keyboard or air mouse?

I think he means software, like programs to use that are nice from far away.

snip

Can you just increase the text size and scaling to make it easier to read? Then just use big picture for games and use all the other normal windows things for everything else. Also if you want to use it to launch programs you can just add them to steam as a Non-Steam game, and then launch from big picture also.

I think he means software, like programs to use that are nice from far away.

Can you just increase the text size and scaling to make it easier to read? Then just use big picture for games and use all the other normal windows things for everything else. Also if you want to use it to launch programs you can just add them to steam as a Non-Steam game, and then launch from big picture also.

So it sounds like I'll have to fallback to simply using desktop windows with scaling turned up and a wireless mouse/keyboard?

So it sounds like I'll have to fallback to simply using desktop windows with scaling turned up and a wireless mouse/keyboard?

yea, for playing games you can use a controller. Also if you want to browse / use desktop with a controller there is a good program called input mapper which is free. It works with ps4 controllers. If you want to use with xbox controller there is one called controller companion which is a bit better for typing but is paid.