Computer takes long time to shut down

Hi i recently counted how long it takes to shut down my computer. And it takes about 1 min -1.2 min and was wondering if that is normal? I have a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD. And it takes about 10-15 secs to boot up.

Can someone tell me if that is normal please.

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5750G, GT540M, i7 2630QM, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 

Hi i recently counted how long it takes to shut down my computer. And it takes about 1 min -1.2 min and was wondering if that is normal? I have a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD. And it takes about 10-15 secs to boot up.

how many programs do you have running when you initiate shutdown?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

No that's not normal.  Does it take along time for the screen to go black, or does it go black fairly quickly and then stay like that for a minute or so?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well, it depends.

how many programs do you have running when you initiate shutdown?

Around5 maybe and that is programs like audio manager and small stuff

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

No that's not normal. Does it take along time for the screen to go black, or does it go black fairly quickly and then stay like that for a minute or so?

It goes black after like 5 secs and then it stays black for a minute with the fans still spinning and the lights still on.

It goes black after like 5 secs and then it stays black for a minute with the fans still spinning and the lights still on.

Mine shutdown the monitor but it takes around 30s - 1 min to shutdown the pc.

CPU: i7-5820k @4.0GHz // MotherboardAsus X99-A/USB3.1 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB // GPU: Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming // CaseNZXT H440 Razer Edition // SSD: HyperX Predator SSD PCIe 480GB // HDD: WD Black 1TB // PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS // Monitor: Asus VN247H 23.6" // Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX // Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma Destiny 2 Edition // Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core // OSWindows 10

Referral link for HashFlare Mining: 
here

Try force shutdown with shutdown -s -f -t 0.

Your pc shutdown immediately? I didn't know this was a problem.

CPU: i7-5820k @4.0GHz // MotherboardAsus X99-A/USB3.1 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB // GPU: Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming // CaseNZXT H440 Razer Edition // SSD: HyperX Predator SSD PCIe 480GB // HDD: WD Black 1TB // PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS // Monitor: Asus VN247H 23.6" // Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX // Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma Destiny 2 Edition // Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core // OSWindows 10

Referral link for HashFlare Mining: 
here

Have you disabled Fast Startup in power options? That feature of Windows 10 has been giving me a massive headache on every PC I've worked on that had it enabled. Pretty much in Windows 10, it doesn't really shut down. It suspends everything and resumes when you power the PC on. You have to disable Fast Startup (I haven't noticed a difference a speed at all between enabled / disabled except my system stability is way better with it disabled). You can tell you have this enabled if you look at task manager and your system uptime is far longer than the PC was on for.

It's located in power options control panel. On the side bar, you should see "Choose what the power buttons do". You then click on that blue link "change settings that are unavailable" to unlock the checkboxes at the bottom. Then you uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup" and save changes. That should fix your issue. It did for me.

Have you disabled Fast Startup in power options? That feature of Windows 10 has been giving me a massive headache on every PC I've worked on that had it enabled. Pretty much in Windows 10, it doesn't really shut down. It suspends everything and resumes when you power the PC on. You have to disable Fast Startup (I haven't noticed a difference a speed at all between enabled / disabled except my system stability is way better with it disabled). You can tell you have this enabled if you look at task manager and your system uptime is far longer than the PC was on for.

It's located in power options control panel. On the side bar, you should see "Choose what the power buttons do". You then click on that blue link "change settings that are unavailable" to unlock the checkboxes at the bottom. Then you uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup" and save changes. That should fix your issue. It did for me.

Thanks i will try it when i get home.

Then pretty much this:

The fast boot option causes it to write the contents of your RAM to disk similar to hibernation so that when you bot back up, it only initializes some things and loads the rest off that bulk file.  It should improve boot speeds, in theory, but it makes shutting down much slower, so not worth it in my opinion.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Then pretty much this:

The fast boot option causes it to write the contents of your RAM to disk similar to hibernation so that when you bot back up, it only initializes some things and loads the rest off that bulk file.  It should improve boot speeds, in theory, but it makes shutting down much slower, so not worth it in my opinion.

I didn't find it

I didn't find it

Open Start Menu and search power options:

kRBZtV3.jpg

On the side bar, click "Change what the power buttons do"

3KDkkQu.png

Then click the link to change the greyed out check boxes on the bottom:

OfP8zDI.png

Then uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup" (It's enabled by default, and save changes).

iV075Ll.png

Forgive my crappy arrows / outlining...I'm in a college class at the moment on my laptop.

This happens alot to me :(

Open Start Menu and search power options:

On the side bar, click "Change what the power buttons do"

Then click the link to change the greyed out check boxes on the bottom:

Then uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup" (It's enabled by default, and save changes).

Forgive my crappy arrows / outlining...I'm in a college class at the moment on my laptop.

Thanks!! Found it 

Thanks!! Found it 

How's it? Notice any difference? You'd be another victim of Windows' 10 Fast Startup if you see a difference.

How's it? Notice any difference? You'd be another victim of Windows' 10 Fast Startup if you see a difference.

Now it takes about 15-20 secs to shut down :) And still boots up as fast as before