Calling all Logitech G910 Keyboard owners

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by CapricaBuccaneers,

So I am about to buy one today. Should I? I tried the keyswitches at best buy and I liked them over the switches on the corsair keyboard with MX reds, and I liked it over the razer thingy with the chinese derpswitches.

However, I have some other questions:

How is the software? Does it suck?

How reliable is the lighting in the keyboard? Are the LEDs prone to failure?

How is typing on it with the silly keycaps? Are any other keycaps available? Do you get used to the stock keycaps?

Anything else I should know before I shell out 140 bucks on a keyboard?

As far as I know there are only about three of us that own the G910 on here and Jezza (Slsamg) did a review of his if you want to search for his opinion of it.

Let me preface my opinion by saying I own two KBs and an Orbweaver with Cherry MX switches- I am very satisfied with all three - the Ducky Shine 4 in particular. If anything I'm a Cherry MX fanboy.

Now that's out of the way: the Logitech G910 is easily my favourite keyboard and my 'daily driver'.

To try to answer your questions directly:

1) The Logitech Gaming Software is excellent - I already had it from my G303/502 though, so there was no adjustment period - I unboxed the 910 and plugged it in, ready to go then and there. I find the layout to be logical and straightforward, and easy to use to update itself or the device firmware should there be one.

2) The hardware RGB lighting is far and away the best implementation I've yet seen. The colours are evenly lit throughout the key caps and there is no bleeding. However bear in mind the brightness controls are a little fiddly - the default setting for me is perfect, but the only hardware adjustment is on/off.

3) All LEDs are still functioning on mine with no special care. Unlike my K70. As far as I'm aware the construction of the Omron switch protects the led as it is centrally situated inside the switch itself - part of the reason lighting is evenly distributed throughout the whole keycap.

4) I personally found the keys easy to adjust to - I only noticed the small 'lip' at the top area of each keycap in actual usage - and this wasn't uncomfortable nor did it take long to adapt to. I believe that most people exaggerate this part completely out of proportion - remember as I said earlier I'm a CMX switch fan, add to that I much prefer cylindrical caps generally. No problem here, stock caps are fine. Ignore the Nancy boys.

A couple of issues - the cable is fixed and on the right side of the keyboard - not a problem for me but it may mess with your layout. Ymmv

The Arx dock is the Logitech corporate blue - doesn't bother me but again some people don't like it. See Nancy boy comment above. (Or tape the top with black duct tape)

The wrist rest is built in - as in the whole frame. You could Dremel it off but what would be the point. Get used to using a wrist rest or best just get a different model if would irk you.

Custom lighting effects - you can download profiles in a similar fashion to Corsair's CuE - however most entries are for macros and the like. You might have to spend some time setting up your own particular effect in the LGS suite. Fair warning this takes time.

Let me know if I haven't covered anything or you want some other information, or to call me a tosser if that's the case.

So I am about to buy one today. Should I? I tried the keyswitches at best buy and I liked them over the switches on the corsair keyboard with MX reds, and I liked it over the razer thingy with the chinese derpswitches. 

How is typing on it with the silly keycaps? Are any other keycaps available? Do you get used to the stock keycaps?

I don't have the G910, but i do have the G310 (non-RGB TKL version of the G910).

While i don't get to see all of the features available to the G910 the software is very sleek and easy to use

Don't know about the failure rate of the LEDs haven't owned it long enough (a bit over a month).

Surprisingly fine, felt a bit strange as first but i got used to it quickly (going from a low profile membrane keyboard though). Logitech now actually sells a cylindrical keycap set as well (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/romer-g-keycap-kit)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I don't have the G910, but i do have the G310 (non-RGB TKL version of the G910).

While i don't get to see all of the features available to the G910 the software is very sleek and easy to use

Don't know about the failure rate of the LEDs haven't owned it long enough (a bit over a month).

Surprisingly fine, felt a bit strange as first but i got used to it quickly (going from a low profile membrane keyboard though). Logitech now actually sells a cylindrical keycap set as well (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/romer-g-keycap-kit)

Holy crap its 40 bucks

Holy crap its 40 bucks

seems pretty normal for replacement keycaps

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

As far as I know there are only about three of us that own the G910 on here and Jezza (Slsamg) did a review of his if you want to search for his opinion of it.

Let me preface my opinion by saying I own two KBs and an Orbweaver with Cherry MX switches- I am very satisfied with all three - the Ducky Shine 4 in particular. If anything I'm a Cherry MX fanboy.

Now that's out of the way: the Logitech G910 is easily my favourite keyboard and my 'daily driver'.

To try to answer your questions directly:

1) The Logitech Gaming Software is excellent - I already had it from my G303/502 though, so there was no adjustment period - I unboxed the 910 and plugged it in, ready to go then and there. I find the layout to be logical and straightforward, and easy to use to update itself or the device firmware should there be one.

2) The hardware RGB lighting is far and away the best implementation I've yet seen. The colours are evenly lit throughout the key caps and there is no bleeding. However bear in mind the brightness controls are a little fiddly - the default setting for me is perfect, but the only hardware adjustment is on/off.

3) All LEDs are still functioning on mine with no special care. Unlike my K70. As far as I'm aware the construction of the Omron switch protects the led as it is centrally situated inside the switch itself - part of the reason lighting is evenly distributed throughout the whole keycap.

4) I personally found the keys easy to adjust to - I only noticed the small 'lip' at the top area of each keycap in actual usage - and this wasn't uncomfortable nor did it take long to adapt to. I believe that most people exaggerate this part completely out of proportion - remember as I said earlier I'm a CMX switch fan, add to that I much prefer cylindrical caps generally. No problem here, stock caps are fine. Ignore the Nancy boys.

A couple of issues - the cable is fixed and on the right side of the keyboard - not a problem for me but it may mess with your layout. Ymmv

The Arx dock is the Logitech corporate blue - doesn't bother me but again some people don't like it. See Nancy boy comment above. (Or tape the top with black duct tape)

The wrist rest is built in - as in the whole frame. You could Dremel it off but what would be the point. Get used to using a wrist rest or best just get a different model if would irk you.

Custom lighting effects - you can download profiles in a similar fashion to Corsair's CuE - however most entries are for macros and the like. You might have to spend some time setting up your own particular effect in the LGS suite. Fair warning this takes time.

Let me know if I haven't covered anything or you want some other information, or to call me a tosser if that's the case.