Note 5 horrible battery life and idle drain

Mew

Just received my test device a couple days ago expecting great battery life. However, it feels like battery life is even worse than the edge although battery capacity is only slightly bigger. I've already turned off VOLTE and wifi calling to try to fix the idle battery drain but that doesn't seem to work either. The s6 edge would only drain around 5-10% overnight compared to the 20ish here.

post-16-0-35938100-1453666275_thumb.png

post-16-0-64564100-1453666289_thumb.png

post-16-0-81044100-1453667456_thumb.png

Factory reset?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The note 5 battery life is fucking horrible.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My note 5 battery lasts a full 24 hours, do you have your screen set to auto brightness? Do have a bunch of apps like games that are always running in the background even if you never open them?

Decrease screen brightness and make sure no apps are running in the background

I Eat, Therefore I Am

I feel my battery life has been cut in half over the last week. I never had it die on me before bed, but the last 3 night it has.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Yea re-looked at the pics... why do you have your screen so freaking bright. Its an amoled display even in day light i never have it over 25%. Thats why your battery life sucks

Hmm can't multiquote on mobile. I haven't tried resetting although I did try to clear the cache. I have it on auto brightness and no games installed. The most demanding app I use is probably the web browser.

Edit: oh I should also add. I've disabled all the bloat ware using package disabler for Samsung on the play store 2 days ago as well.

Hmm can't multiquote on mobile. I haven't tried resetting although I did try to clear the cache. I have it on auto brightness and no games installed. The most demanding app I use is probably the web browser.

turn off auto bright... please. Lol and when your done using it for the night, open that task manager and hit close all.

turn off auto bright... please. Lol and when your done using it for the night, open that task manager and hit close all.

Ehh I don't like constantly adjusting my brightness and the phone itself should be intelligent enough to have the correct screen brightness at all times. However, I do turn brightness all the way down at night since auto brightness doesn't seem to be able to use the minimum brightness available; it's to bright. Battery stats also don't show any misbehaving apps so I don't think it's because of apps running in the background.

Ehh I don't like constantly adjusting my brightness and the phone itself should be intelligent enough to have the correct screen brightness at all times. However, I do turn brightness all the way down at night since auto brightness doesn't seem to be able to use the minimum brightness available; it's to bright. Battery stats also don't show any misbehaving apps so I don't think it's because of apps running in the background.

If it isnt the apps, it is probably the brightness.

I Eat, Therefore I Am

If it isnt the apps, it is probably the brightness.

I don't think so because I unplugged at around 8pm and used it on and off till I went to bed at 3am. It's currently 12:38pm and I've only used it in dark places where the brightness doesn't need to be turned up much if at all. I've also given it some thought. This is a test device that's probably been abused so the actual battery capacity might be significantly lower if Samsung didn't use a high quality battery. Combine that with everyone using the fast charger means the battery is not in the best condition.

I have the note 5 and it easily gets me through my day with 30% left, Google play services never uses that much power on my phone, Google play services is an API to let other apps do things in the background:

Some issues could be:

1:Having loads of accounts (more to sync)

2:A third party app misusing it (I see Facebook Messenger on one of your screenshots, I don't have Messenger and my battery life is great)

3:Sync Errors (If there is an error Google will continue to try until it gets it, draining battery)

4:Emojis in contact names are harder to sync and index, causing battery drain

5:Using a task killer? (Task killers can kill tasks and the task will restart itself again, causing battery drain)

6: Running security software (I have Panda Free Antivirus, never had a problem)

Also, I noticed that internet was on your list, try using Chrome)

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

I have the note 5 and it easily gets me through my day with 30% left, Google play services never uses that much power on my phone, Google play services is an API to let other apps do things in the background:

Some issues could be:

1:Having loads of accounts (more to sync)

2:A third party app misusing it (I see Facebook Messenger on one of your screenshots, I don't have Messenger and my battery life is great)

3:Sync Errors (If there is an error Google will continue to try until it gets it, draining battery)

4:Emojis in contact names are harder to sync and index, causing battery drain

5:Using a task killer? (Task killers can kill tasks and the task will restart itself again, causing battery drain)

6: Running security software (I have Panda Free Antivirus, never had a problem)

Also, I noticed that internet was on your list, try using Chrome)

1. I have less accounts than I expected lol- only 4.

3. There doesn't seem to be any errors.

4. I don't use emojis

5. I don't use task managers, in fact, I never force close apps

6. I don't use security software.

I don't use chrome because it's been proven that it's much slower than the regular browser.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/5

After getting to use the phone, it became clear to me that Chrome is poorly optimized against the Galaxy S6 as Samsung’s browser is clearly superior in performance. For that reason I've gone ahead and run our benchmarks on both Chrome and on the stock browser, as seen below.