V.R

Haydz72

I've just watched this on the youtubes and share similar concerns in regards to V.R being developed for and adopted. I really hope this is not the case and would like to here what other peoples thoughts on how they think V.R might play out

Ok here is the thing. VR can be good and it can be bad. It depends on the implementation. For example, if I am in a game, and I put myself next to a wall, and tilt my head, it should not through the wall. If I see a table, or shelf, I should be able to look down at every shelf, and see a texture, the developer can't cut corners for optimization and performance increase. And things like that.

So like the Wiimote, some game devs are lazy, and will just make it "waggle = button press", while others will actually do R&D and perfect full tracking of the controller. Same for Kinect, and same for the rest. All you need is a lot more crap games, than the technology will fail.

But, VR won't die completely. It was there since the ~80-90's, just not on the consumer side, and reserved more for simulation. What Occulus did is not only made it affordable (compared to the millions of dollars it used to cost), but also offer this complete SDK solution for developers, where the code does most of the work for devs. So, the idea, is that devs can focus on polishing the game experience, and polishing the tracking system in their game for avoid the player getting sick, and so on, and not have to worry about how to collect the sensor data, how to process that, how to wrap the image for each eye... all that is done for them. Also, the game needs to run at a SOLID 60fps minimum, no 58fps.. 60fps. Locked in. Faster (Oculus Rift DK2 goes up to 90Hz, so ideally you want the game to go at 90fps (faster the better), and you should have minimum input lag when the user moves its head, else it causes dizziness, and you should not requires fast motion, as the headset display response time isn't good (it is a cellphone screen. Maybe in the future).

Also, a thing that many people don't know, and should know BEFORE using a VR headset, like the Oculus Rift, is that it needs to be calibrated properly. The sensor needs to be placed correctly, your height should defined in the driver tool, the correct lenses must be used, and the VR headset needs to be adjust for each eyes. From what I saw on YouTube, it looks like most if not all, didn't do that, and just use the default settings, which is just an average. Improperly setup, you'll have motion sickness, even in the Oculus Rift demo.

Interesting I didn't realize the amount of calibration needed before use to make it usable. I would love to see V.R. take off but but as you said its up to devs to make it happen by building games with all the detail needed to be immersive for the player in the V.R. world but also be able to keep the frame rate required to avoid sickness issues. I still think its a long way off the cost will be the biggest factor for most people out there