accidentally ejected raid 5 drive while on, the placed it in wrong slot

Darth-Marius

Accidentally ejected raid 5 drive while on, then placed it in wrong slot, now the entire server is down.  I checked the led error code, the drive displays Power/Status led as red. Which just means drive error. The other drives look fine.  Any ideas? 

~dm

Accidentally ejected raid 5 drive while on, then placed it in wrong slot, now the entire server is down.  I checked the led error code, the drive displays Power/Status led as red. Which just means drive error. The other drives look fine.  Any ideas? 

If the array was healthy then taking the disk out should have done nothing. Also if SAS or SATA the actual slot does not matter, only parallel SCSI requires the same slot.

Shutdown the system, take the disk out that is marked as failed, put it back in the original slot (just for niceness and in case the current slot if faulty). The system should boot and detect all drives present for the array, or enough for it to be online. If not go in to the RAID bios and force mark the disk as online/healthy.

Just as a warning, I hope you have a backup because forcing a failed disk back online is only a good idea if you actually know 100% for sure the disk is fine.