Nvidia + GSync and AMD + FreeSync system build comparison

Hi guys,

Not sure if this post should go in here, but I have a proposal for a practical video:

What would it cost to build a system with GSync and what with FreeSync and have the same performance?

Imagine if we want to test several games (AAA) and we are targeting XX fps or so on a 1080/1440p (widescreen or not) and we want to compare how much would it cost on both platforms. I think we can do almost apples to apples comparison since Acer and Asus brought monitors with similar/same panels in both variants (AMD and Nvidia).

Some people might think about a variable refresh monitor since the last price drop of video cards, i mean the Nano came down $150 i think, so why not spend the money on a better monitor.

Not much of video tbh. Just go to pcpartpicker or your local eqv such as geizhals.at in austria and spend 5 mins to make similarly priced systems. AMD probably "wins".

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

LTT already did that. The results are the same, Free-sync is cheaper. Hence why Intel chose to support Free-sync

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Well AMD won before the price drop in the Nano as far as Freesync vs G sync. G Sync is a nitch for people that love Nvidia products which is a cool option if people want to pay for it. Be nice if Nvidia could support both which would be easy to do, that way there would be double the monitor options for people that do not want to shell out the cash and have a better gaming experience.

Hi guys,

Not sure if this post should go in here, but I have a proposal for a practical video:

What would it cost to build a system with GSync and what with FreeSync and have the same performance?

Imagine if we want to test several games (AAA) and we are targeting XX fps or so on a 1080/1440p (widescreen or not) and we want to compare how much would it cost on both platforms. I think we can do almost apples to apples comparison since Acer and Asus brought monitors with similar/same panels in both variants (AMD and Nvidia).

Some people might think about a variable refresh monitor since the last price drop of video cards, i mean the Nano came down $150 i think, so why not spend the money on a better monitor.

Not much of video tbh. Just go to pcpartpicker or your local eqv such as geizhals.at in austria and spend 5 mins to make similarly priced systems. AMD probably "wins".

G-Sync monitors are usually about 150$-200$ more expensive than their AMD equivalent. If you were to build a system including the monitor with the same budget you could get a Fury (Nano) vs a 970...

EDIT

For refference:

iaJOhpU.png

Pz4FU3L.png

EDIT EDIT

The difference between the ISP version of the monitors is even more insane,

the MG279Q costs 580€

the PG279Q costs 850€

that's a straight 270€ increase in price...

O.o

Spoiler

i7 5820k @4.6Ghz (1.3V) // Asus X99 Sabertooth // Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (1120Mhz/1700Mhz) // 16GB DDR4 // BenQ Xl2730z for dat Freesync mhmhmhmh

LTT already did that. The results are the same, Free-sync is cheaper. Hence why Intel chose to support Free-sync

Yeah but i am not talking about technology comparison.

Just purely here are 2 monitors from Asus and 2 video cards from nvidia and amd and what would it cost and what is the experience.

Yeah but i am not talking about technology comparison.

Just purely here are 2 monitors from Asus and 2 video cards from nvidia and amd and what would it cost and what is the experience.

Same budget? For for Free-sync, you get the EXACT SAME experience with a much beefier GPU since the monitor with G-sync costs 150$ more for license fees

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

everybody can go there and compare the 2 systems, and you can do that for alsmost everything, does not mean that LTT never did such videos (like the compensator build)

I am not trying to start a fire here. There are a lot of people who are wondering if they can afford to upgrade and right now, i think it is quite a lot more affordable then it was even 6 months ago.