Is there a way to use 2 keyboards recognize individually on a PC?

Tairetsu

It's a bit of a complicated question, so let me elaborate, is there a way to have a PC (if possible Windows, tho I know that if there is in fact a way it most likely would be on Linux) to have Windows recognize the strokes of 2 keyboards separately?

Say, for example, if you wanna play one of the few split-screen games there are on this platform, and you wanna have both people using keyboard and mouse instead of one person using them and the other using a controller, or, if you are playing a game with a lot of hotkeys, and you wanna use the same key to do 2 things at the same time, but in different keyboards. 

I realize it's a pretty niche thing, actually I myself don't really have a HUUUUGE need for it, but you know, it's one of those things of "it's not very practical but it would be cool to have the option regardless". Question also applies to mices, basically, is there a way to have 2 separate keyboard and mouse running individually on the same PC? without relying on a virtual machine like what Linus did on 2 gamers 1 CPU? 

i'm not sure I understand the question

if you plug two keyboards - you can type on both of them at the same time

not sure about split screen games - what do you mean? usually if it's a racing game one player gets assigned WASD the other gets assigned arrow keys or numpad so it will still work

or you could get one of the steelseries keyboards or razers keyboards they allow to macro every key and you could custom map that one keyboard and leave the other at default

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The only was I can think of without some form of virtualization  or multi-session software solutions is making a custom solution to make the input  game controller input with 110+ inputs, and a program that would accept that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The one way I know how to do it is by emulating a controller

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It's a bit of a complicated question, so let me elaborate, is there a way to have a PC (if possible Windows, tho I know that if there is in fact a way it most likely would be on Linux) to have Windows recognize the strokes of 2 keyboards separately?

Say, for example, if you wanna play one of the few split-screen games there are on this platform, and you wanna have both people using keyboard and mouse instead of one person using them and the other using a controller, or, if you are playing a game with a lot of hotkeys, and you wanna use the same key to do 2 things at the same time, but in different keyboards. 

I realize it's a pretty niche thing, actually I myself don't really have a HUUUUGE need for it, but you know, it's one of those things of "it's not very practical but it would be cool to have the option regardless". Question also applies to mices, basically, is there a way to have 2 separate keyboard and mouse running individually on the same PC? without relying on a virtual machine like what Linus did on 2 gamers 1 CPU? 

you would need an emulator I think 

i'm not sure I understand the question

if you plug two keyboards - you can type on both of them at the same time

not sure about split screen games - what do you mean? usually if it's a racing game one player gets assigned WASD the other gets assigned arrow keys or numpad so it will still work

or you could get one of the steelseries keyboards or razers keyboards they allow to macro every key and you could custom map that one keyboard and leave the other at default

Yes, you can type using 2 keyboards on Windows, but I mean something like...2 people being able to use the WASD keys at the same time without interfere with each other, or basically having a whole extra set of keys abviable to use as hotkeys if you are playing alone. 

Yes, you can type using 2 keyboards on Windows, but I mean something like...2 people being able to use the WASD keys at the same time without interfere with each other, or basically having a whole extra set of keys abviable to use as hotkeys if you are playing alone. 

first of all how would the game you're running know which player is pressing the WASD - you would still have to rebind those keys, so I suggest you get like the cheapest razer or steelseries keyboard there you can rebind all your keys to be with a modifier like Ctrl+W, Shift+A, Alt+S etc. or you could completely remap the keys

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I do recall hearing about some developers doing something in Linux to this effect. Purportedly for use in an educational setting. 

Essentially having multiple focuses, tied to specific peripherals. I haven't heard about it in years so it never took off I guess.

iPhone 5 / iPad 1 / iPad 3 / iPad Mini / iPad Air 2 | Galaxy S / Nexus 7 / Sero 7 / Nvidia Shield Tablet

Asus Maximus VI Hero / i7 4770 / GTX 780 Windforce SLI / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Rosewill Blackhawk

G710 & G500s / Cougar 600K / Blackwidow Ultimate 2016

Even if you could have it recognize them as two different inputs if what you are focused can only be 1 thing they would both still type to the same location. You would need two monitors/maybe a ghetto split screen setup and vmware like on the 2 gamers 1 tower video to have different focus.

first of all how would the game you're running know which player is pressing the WASD - you would still have to rebind those keys, so I suggest you get like the cheapest razer or steelseries keyboard there you can rebind all your keys to be with a modifier like Ctrl+W, Shift+A, Alt+S etc. or you could completely remap the keys

Well that's what i'm asking, I know Serious Sam 3 let's you play splitscreen with 2 keyboards at once, but it's a very rare thing and I don't know how they actually do it.

I do recall hearing about some developers doing something in Linux to this effect. Purportedly for use in an educational setting. 

Essentially having multiple focuses, tied to specific peripherals. I haven't heard about it in years so it never took off I guess.

Would be great if you could point me in the right direction, since it's kind of a hard thing to google. 

Check out this video, you might be able to atcheave your goal with auto hotkey

That kind of sounds like it might be a step in the right direction, I need to look up the program he mentioned tho, and, well, I guess it's basically like making the entire second keyboard macro at that point. 

Well that's what i'm asking, I know Serious Sam 3 let's you play splitscreen with 2 keyboards at once, but it's a very rare thing and I don't know how they actually do it.

Would be great if you could point me in the right direction, since it's kind of a hard thing to google. 

That kind of sounds like it might be a step in the right direction, I need to look up the program he mentioned tho, and, well, I guess it's basically like making the entire second keyboard macro at that point. 

Well I saw it on Slashdot.org, but it was so many years ago that it'd be really hard to find by now. Multiple focuses would be great, I use both a left and right handed mouse and was looking for stuff like that like 15 years ago, but its SO niche that I gave up, and linux isn't my thing so meh. 

But here's what I've found on google...

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/12/attach-multiple-mice-to-one-computer.html

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/two-users-share-one-computer-work-different/1966/

The multipoint one might be the one I was refering to.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35821

iPhone 5 / iPad 1 / iPad 3 / iPad Mini / iPad Air 2 | Galaxy S / Nexus 7 / Sero 7 / Nvidia Shield Tablet

Asus Maximus VI Hero / i7 4770 / GTX 780 Windforce SLI / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Rosewill Blackhawk

G710 & G500s / Cougar 600K / Blackwidow Ultimate 2016