Power off at random intervals under normal load

Liam_T

My computer has been shutting down (powering off) at random intervals.

My specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
  • 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 Ripjaws
  • Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H77N-WIFI 
  • 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
  •  Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA)
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
  • 1863GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))
  •  Cooler master ex2 750w

Detailed specs dump:

Bios:

American Megatrends Inc.

Version F2

Date 23-Aug-12

The event states Kernel-Power

Running 3D mark to try stress test the system did not make the system crash.

It does not seem to happen at moments of high load such as gaming.

I have watched temperatures and CPU and these stay within normal range while the system crashes.

There is no BSOD, just immediate no power to the whole system.

I have tried multiple wall ports and it still happens / other desktops on the same power are not crashing at the same time or at all.

All connections seem to be plugged in correctly.

I disconnected all non essential components and the crash still happened.

I have run multiple virus and malware programs with no results, my thinking is more along the lines of a PSU problem.

Help me linustechtips forum, you're my only hope.

I Had the same issue with my system a few months ago. After trying a different PSU it ran fine, So my guess would be a power supply issue 

Try to use another power supply (or power cable or both). Because you do not get BSOD, just immediate no power to the whole system, i think your power supply may be the cause.

My computer has been shutting down (powering off) at random intervals.

My specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
  • 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 Ripjaws
  • Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H77N-WIFI 
  • 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
  •  Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA)
  • 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
  • 1863GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))
  •  Cooler master ex2 750w

Detailed specs dump:

Bios:

American Megatrends Inc.

Version F2

Date 23-Aug-12

The event states Kernel-Power

Running 3D mark to try stress test the system did not make the system crash.

It does not seem to happen at moments of high load such as gaming.

I have watched temperatures and CPU and these stay within normal range while the system crashes.

There is no BSOD, just immediate no power to the whole system.

I have tried multiple wall ports and it still happens / other desktops on the same power are not crashing at the same time or at all.

All connections seem to be plugged in correctly.

I disconnected all non essential components and the crash still happened.

I have run multiple virus and malware programs with no results, my thinking is more along the lines of a PSU problem.

Help me linustechtips forum, you're my only hope.

Yeah I think it's the PSU

I Had the same issue with my system a few months ago. After trying a different PSU it ran fine, So my guess would be a power supply issue 

Try to use another power supply (or power cable or both). Because you do not get BSOD, just immediate no power to the whole system, i think your power supply may be the cause.

Yeah I think it's the PSU

So erratic it's hard to test if it's working or not. Any ideas to force making the issue happen so I can reliably know what is and isn't failing?

I had the same problem but after a lot of research I found that my problem was my ram causing the shutdown so yeah its weird I did a system wipe and that seemed to fix the problem for me :/

I just finished my build and seem to be having the same problem, I'm still in the process of troubleshooting but these are my specs (which seem to be totally different than yours):

• Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard
  • Intel i7 6700K (running at the stock speed, 4.0GHz)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz
  • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (4GB DDR5)
  • XFX XTR 650W (running on hybrid mode)
  • Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

I also have 3 random toshiba 2.5" HDD that I had laying around, one of them I know it's faulty but windows seems to handle it pretty well (when the hdd fails), haven't gotten around to disconnect the HDDs but will do so tonight. Last monday, I tried a bunch of benchmarks/stress testing tools and it was the only day the system did not reboot on it's own.

What has caused it to power down/reboot on it's own:

• Opening Netflix app and starting to watch an episode (not even 2 minutes in)
  • Starting a League of Legends game (loading screen)
  • Playing Blade & Soul for about 30/40mins
  • Right after it got back from the previous crash, as the game was starting again, it crashed once more

What I tried:

• Benchmarks (CPU/GPU)
  • Stress testing tools (CPU/GPU)
  • Returning RAM to stock speed (previously was using the XPS profile) (only did that last night so not sure if it had any impact)

I also have the same message on the event viewer, and usually no other messages up to 15 minutes prior to the crash, and the most obvious correlation between what's causing my crashes is they all require some effort (if not much) from the graphics card, but stress tests have not revealed any problem with it.

Because I cannot reliably replicate the issue it's a pain to try new things, I'm hoping that by adding this here it may help somehow find out what's causing this to both of us.

I had the same issue a while back but it turned out to be my house wiring was faulty.  Good thing I checked the voltage at the receptacle.  I was getting between 10 and 50 volts ac.  Bad wiring job in the basement.  Fixed that and re-tested it.  120vac!  No problems since.

Laws only govern the honest.

I had the same issue a while back but it turned out to be my house wiring was faulty.  Good thing I checked the voltage at the receptacle.  I was getting between 10 and 50 volts ac.  Bad wiring job in the basement.  Fixed that and re-tested it.  120vac!  No problems since.

My partner and flatmate are running rigs that require more power than mine and I have tried switching power outlets with them. I'm still crashing and they haven't at all. This makes me think that it's a problem inside my system rather than the house. Thanks :-)

When it powers off, just pressing the power button turns it on again?

Because something similar is happening to my PC. It's nothing related to power consumption, ot doesn't power down when I stress test or play something, but when it shutdown I have to turn the PSU off and on again or pull the plug off the wall and reconnect it back so it powers on again when I press the power button.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

When it powers off, just pressing the power button turns it on again?

Because something similar is happening to my PC. It's nothing related to power consumption, ot doesn't power down when I stress test or play something, but when it shutdown I have to turn the PSU off and on again or pull the plug off the wall and reconnect it back so it powers on again when I press the power button.

The system powers back on like a normal boot when i hit the power button. No indication that anything wrong happened

The system powers back on like a normal boot when i hit the power button. No indication that anything wrong happened

Like i said, try to put another power supply in the system and see if this fixes the problem. And maybe check all your cables from inside your PC, it sound like the power supply shuts down do to a short circuit. It could be a short circuit in you power supply or in your PC somewhere

I just finished my build and seem to be having the same problem, I'm still in the process of troubleshooting but these are my specs (which seem to be totally different than yours):

• Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard
  • Intel i7 6700K (running at the stock speed, 4.0GHz)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz
  • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (4GB DDR5)
  • XFX XTR 650W (running on hybrid mode)
  • Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

I also have 3 random toshiba 2.5" HDD that I had laying around, one of them I know it's faulty but windows seems to handle it pretty well (when the hdd fails), haven't gotten around to disconnect the HDDs but will do so tonight. Last monday, I tried a bunch of benchmarks/stress testing tools and it was the only day the system did not reboot on it's own.

What has caused it to power down/reboot on it's own:

• Opening Netflix app and starting to watch an episode (not even 2 minutes in)
  • Starting a League of Legends game (loading screen)
  • Playing Blade & Soul for about 30/40mins
  • Right after it got back from the previous crash, as the game was starting again, it crashed once more

What I tried:

• Benchmarks (CPU/GPU)
  • Stress testing tools (CPU/GPU)
  • Returning RAM to stock speed (previously was using the XPS profile) (only did that last night so not sure if it had any impact)

I also have the same message on the event viewer, and usually no other messages up to 15 minutes prior to the crash, and the most obvious correlation between what's causing my crashes is they all require some effort (if not much) from the graphics card, but stress tests have not revealed any problem with it.

Because I cannot reliably replicate the issue it's a pain to try new things, I'm hoping that by adding this here it may help somehow find out what's causing this to both of us.

So it's not a BSOD? If you were getting BSODs I'd say update your bios. 

So it's not a BSOD? If you were getting BSODs I'd say update your bios. 

Not a BSOD, it basically does a reboot but not in a safe way. And I have already updated to the latest bios hoping that would be it, forgot to include that.

I've also been keeping an eye on the temps while gaming and they are within acceptable ranges. Right now I think one of two things is happening, faulty PSU (it's brand new and seems to be behaving properly whenever I check voltages) or one of my HDD that's been acting up is somehow shorting the PSU (if that's even a thing/possible).

Yah, eithir PSU (which everyone else already said, or IDK.... try a fresh install of windows or running system file checker to check for corrupt files. Just go to cmd (launch as admin) and type "sfc /SCANNOW". Message me back what happens

Have you tried turning it off, and turning it back on again?

Yah, eithir PSU (which everyone else already said, or IDK.... try a fresh install of windows or running system file checker to check for corrupt files. Just go to cmd (launch as admin) and type "sfc /SCANNOW". Message me back what happens

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but running that command did bring to light some issues (some were auto corrected, others were not).

I've now removed two of my old hdd, and made some changes to what was connected to the same wall socket, ran Prime65 and Aida64 with no issues revealed (temps did reach an high peak of 80ºC for Prime65, but quickly got down on it's own). Also played the game that provoked the reboots the other day, for about 1h30min also with no problems, hoping it will stay that way.

DAY 0: A new PCU, I'm modular baby

Let me know if that helps, yesterday I noticed something new (after yet another crash/reboot). Windows had just installed updates on automatic mode, and going back to other reboots they all happened around the same hour (which happens to be the hour windows thinks to be ideal to install them).

DAY 1: Crashed again, problem still the same

Have tried replacement RAM from a working computer. No fix

• 3 weeks later...

Still no fix, my current courses of action are

-reinstall windows,

-try new motherboard/cpu