Swapping GPU coolers

vegurr

So I upgraded my card not long ago, went from a sapphire 7870 to a stock amd r290.

What I was thinking of doing is swapping the coolers, because i would consider the 7870 cooler better, got 2 fans instead of one, and the stock 290 i've is not that good.

Im just wondering if it would be possible, should I just try to do it?

The 290 card is longer but i dont think that would be a problem at all, i dont care if it looks ghetto af as long as its works better

Is there anything that i cant see that could make it go wrong, or anything i need?

I doubt the cooler will make proper contact with the VRMs. The mounting probably doesn't line up either. I wouldn't use a cooler unless it's designed for the specific card. 

You can buy aftermarket coolers from ebay. Alot of people dont need them after switching to watercooling.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

I doubt the cooler will make proper contact with the VRMs. The mounting probably doesn't line up either. I wouldn't use a cooler unless it's designed for the specific card.

I doubt the strix version will make proper contact with the vrms.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Can maybe look at a water cooling bracket for them, when I had my 290 I was going to do that.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Not a great idea, since the 7870 cooler won't fit properly. VRM cooling will be an issue, and even the contact with the GPU may not be good since the GPU is not the same size.

I'd suggest picking up an NZXT Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10 bracket, and finding a cheap Asetek-based water cooling kit. Maybe a used Corsair H55 or Antec Kuhler 620, if you can find any.

I put a Kraken G10 and H55 on my 290 and it's great.

Not a great idea, since the 7870 cooler won't fit properly. VRM cooling will be an issue, and even the contact with the GPU may not be good since the GPU is not the same size.

I'd suggest picking up an NZXT Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10 bracket, and finding a cheap Asetek-based water cooling kit. Maybe a used Corsair H55 or Antec Kuhler 620, if you can find any.

What are the VRM cooling soltuions like now? That's what put me off, just info for the OP if he decides to go this route.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

What are the VRM cooling soltuions like now? That's what put me off, just info for the OP if he decides to go this route.

I think the HG10 has a VRM heatsink built into the bracket, so that should work well. The Kraken G10 doesn't have that, but my (non-reference) 290 came with a separate heatsink on the VRMs, so I haven't had any issues there. Like, my VRM temperatures are actually slightly lower than my GPU temperature. B)

The HG10 may be a better choice for a reference card, while the Kraken G10 is better for a non-reference card because the HG10 uses the fan from the stock cooler.

I think the HG10 has a VRM heatsink built into the bracket, so that should work well. The Kraken G10 doesn't have that, but my (non-reference) 290 came with a separate heatsink on the VRMs, so I haven't had any issues there. Like, my VRM temperatures are actually slightly lower than my GPU temperature. B)

The HG10 may be a better choice for a reference card, while the Kraken G10 is better for a non-reference card because the HG10 uses the fan from the stock cooler.

The G10 was the only solution when I had my card and was comfortable having the VRM's at such high temps but could no longer deal with the noise so I decided to go back across to nVidia!

See my Build here!

http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision?gclid=COab__z27LoCFfMctAodJhsArA

I found this, its cheaper than the watercooling.

So its not worth testing the other GPU cooler from my 7870 at all?