Corsair K70 RGB - LEd flickering

I have a question for existing Corsair K70 RGB owners .

From what I've read on the internet - the Corsair K70 RGB has 2 lighting modes - 512 colors  and 16.8 million colors .

I've also seen numerous posts of owners that complain about the LED's Flickering .

Can someone confirm the following.

If the mode is set to 512 colors do the LED's still flicker or does the flickering only occur when the color spectrum is set to display 16.8 million colors.

Also - are there any owners that do not have flickering when set to 16.8 million colors

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

Flickering occours  when you mess up in software.

so what you're saying is even in 16.8 million colors there's no flickering of the LED's

Reason I'm as asking is I saw a review on RandomfrankP where he compares the K70 RGB with the Strafe RGB - if you look at the video with the keyboards side to side you can clearly see the horrible flickering of the K70 RGB as opposed to the butter smooth Strafe RGB - I'm aware that the strafe has a better LED controller - white underboard to reflect the lights etc....

but I just want to clarify before I spend money that  the flickering can be put down to a faulty keyboard / software and not because I'm trying to display 16.8 million colors

check out this link and look at the K70 flickering   

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

so what you're saying is even in 16.8 million colors there's no flickering of the LED's

Reason I'm as asking is I saw a review on RandomfrankP where he compares the K70 RGB with the Strafe RGB - if you look at the video with the keyboards side to side you can clearly see the horrible flickering of the K70 RGB as opposed to the butter smooth Strafe RGB - I'm aware that the strafe has a better LED controller - white underboard to reflect the lights etc....

but I just want to clarify before I spend money that  the flickering can be put down to a faulty keyboard / software and not because I'm trying to display 16.8 million colors

check out this link and look at the K70 flickering   

Flickering happens when you set 2 coulors to 1 LED. This is an design flaw in the software. You shouln't be able to do that. If you don't your fine. I have no problems with my K70.

No input on the K70 however LEDs will often appear to flicker when recorded with a camera. This is due to the fact that the LEDs are driven with a PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulation) signal to produce the different levels of brightness. If you want the LEDs at 100% brightness you apply power 100% of the time. For 50% brightness you apply power 50% of the time and so on for all the different brightnesses. To your eye it just appears that the LED is on all the time at a lower brightness due to a concept called persistence of vision (the same reason fast moving objects appear to blur). A camera which takes a still image 60 times a second (60Hz) will capture some frames where the LED is on and others where the LED is off. Bringing this back to the K70 vs the Strafe it is possible that the controller for the strafe runs at a frequency where the on time for the LED is more likely to align with the frames of the video compared to the frequency of the K70. Or the strafe may even ramp the voltage to the LED up and down over time (like a really fast breathing effect) as opposed to transitioning directly from off to on though this is unlikely. In summary you won't be able to see the flickering with your own eyes.

I've seen other videos where the K70 flickers and the Strafe doesn't too. There's some controversy over the chips on the K70 not actually being able to hit the full 16.8 million colors, but the chips got upgraded in the Strafe. 

I'd hoped that Corsair update their K70 to have newer chips, but then we'd end up with a v2 or naming scheme involving the year like Razer. 

Seems the Strafe is better technically, though not aesthetically.

iPhone 5 / iPad 1 / iPad 3 / iPad Mini / iPad Air 2 | Galaxy S / Nexus 7 / Sero 7 / Nvidia Shield Tablet

Asus Maximus VI Hero / i7 4770 / GTX 780 Windforce SLI / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Rosewill Blackhawk

G710 & G500s / Cougar 600K / Blackwidow Ultimate 2016

thanx for all the replies -

I have a dilemma - I love and want the better build quality of the Aluminum top K70 and the volume wheel

I hate the media buttons - they have no place on a keyboard

I want the updated improved lighting of the strafe

I want the K70 - V2 2016 :)

I'm hoping that sometime in the future corsair bring out an updated version of the K70 - minus the media buttons - the volume wheel is great - the media buttons are pure gimmick

thanx for all the replies -

I have a dilemma - I love and want the better build quality of the Aluminum top K70 and the volume wheel

I hate the media buttons - they have no place on a keyboard

I want the updated improved lighting of the strafe

I want the K70 - V2 2016 :)

I'm hoping that sometime in the future corsair bring out an updated version of the K70 - minus the media buttons - the volume wheel is great - the media buttons are pure gimmick

I personally like the media buttons.  They're so well liked on the K65/70/95 that it's unlikely that Corsair will take them off.  Ducky Shine 4/5 is also a good option if you don't want media keys.  If you can do without backlighting, then the Das Keboard is the way to go.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

I have a question for existing Corsair K70 RGB owners .

From what I've read on the internet - the Corsair K70 RGB has 2 lighting modes - 512 colors  and 16.8 million colors .

I've also seen numerous posts of owners that complain about the LED's Flickering .

Can someone confirm the following.

If the mode is set to 512 colors do the LED's still flicker or does the flickering only occur when the color spectrum is set to display 16.8 million colors.

Also - are there any owners that do not have flickering when set to 16.8 million colors

I currently own a K70 RGB, and I'll try to answer your question.

In my personal experience, the flickering happens when you set the keyboard to 16.8 million colors AND while running an effect on your keyboard (rainbow, color phasing, dimming, etc2). It does not flicker if you put in on a static color. In 512 color mode though, running and effect on the keyboard does not cause flickering.

This is, according to corsair's forum, due to the limitation of the LED controller of the board. It cannot be fixed with any software method, because it is simply a hardware limitation. That is why Strafe RGB doesn't have this problem, due to an entirely new LED controller.

But is this a reason for you not to buy this keyboard? For me, it's not. The build quality is amazing. Those floating keys are beautiful. Those scrolling volume button are addicting lol. Besides, I'm not using any animation on my keyboard. It's rather distracting for me while playing lol.

Please forgive me if there are any wrong info.

Actually, thinking about the naming, they went from K90 to K95, so K70 ... K75?

Asus is coming out with the Claymore this year supposedly, which looks to me like it a direct competitor for the K70 for that top mounted RGB switch design, and seems it will be before any K70 revision. And it one up's the K70 with a modular num pad.

iPhone 5 / iPad 1 / iPad 3 / iPad Mini / iPad Air 2 | Galaxy S / Nexus 7 / Sero 7 / Nvidia Shield Tablet

Asus Maximus VI Hero / i7 4770 / GTX 780 Windforce SLI / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Rosewill Blackhawk

G710 & G500s / Cougar 600K / Blackwidow Ultimate 2016

WOW - just saw my NEW Keyboard for 2016

ASUS ROG Claymore - 

WALKS ALL OVER EVERYTHING ELSE  - this is what Corsair should have made instead of the plastic cheap looking Strafe 

ASUS ROG Claymore - ALL Aluminum Casing - Cherry MX - IN BLUE !!!! brown, red .... - NO MEDIA Transport keys - 16.8 mill colours - NO Flickering

Finally -  I've been waiting for someone to finally see that an all aluminium case rocks - the only media key really useful is the volume wheel - the transport controls for music do not belong on a keyboard - they make it look gimmicky and cheap - thats why I stayed away from the K70 RGB - it was a half baked potato - I HATE !!!! media control keys on the K70 - but I love the volume wheel

​And finally - The ability to select if u want the numpad on the right next to the mouse - or on the left - OR - just go ten keyless - 

Master Stroke by the ROG Team - 

I'm a Believer in ROG - 

till now I was on the side looking at them as if they were another company just looking for profit - 

EG - Razer Blackwidow Chroma - 

Great Idea and Design BUT - with MAJOR Flaws ( BTW - I have the Razer Chroma blackwidow with Razer Greens and the Original K70 ) non RGB 

Here's all the flaws of the Razer Chroma Blackwidow 

ALL Plastic

Khail switches - Definitely not as Good as cherry - I have both on hand - cherry is Better !!!!

the headphone Jack and USB Passthrough are on the right hand side right next to where most ppl put their mouse

the caps lock / scroll lock / num lock Indicator lights are obscured under thick plastic and hardly visible - Design fault 100 %

the key caps are rubbish cheap paper thin plastic - 

to sum it all up 

this could have been a great keyboard 

two MAIN things that could have really made the Razer black widow chroma GREAT 

cherry MX Switches  AND  Doubleshot PBT / ABS Keycaps 

the rest I can live with

the Crappy Paper thin Plastic Keycaps and the Khail - Knockoff cherry switches I Cant 

I still use the Blackwidow and the K70 - alternating between the 2

Now Im drooling and waiting for the day I get my Hands on the New claymore From the ROG Team

ASUS ROG Claymore - Cherry MX blues or Browns !!! - CANT WAIT !!!!!!!

THANK YOU ASUS   !!!!!! THANK YOU ROG TEAM !!!!!!!!

​whoever is designing their peripherals and their ROG Products Definitely know what they're doing without a shadow of a doubt

ASUS ROCKS !!!!! - 

Thank you ASUS !!!!!!!