Experiment gone wrong...

JD85

My friend and I had and I had an idea to test my computer's temperatures inside(75°F) vs outside(7°F). We did the inside experiment first. 10 minutes of Prime95 was our CPU tester. 3D mark was our GPU tester. All was fine and as expected.

Then we took it out onto my porch. Here is where it got interesting. We booted up, started up our monitoring software, and hello 76°C. It lasted like 5 more seconds after that. Then it powered itself off.

I would have to guess that the water in my Corsair H60 froze and wasn't circulating to the CPU. I wanted to go out to test again, but I only have this one computer... What do you all think of this. Was it my water cooling that froze?

The computer is fine now after a few minutes inside, so I wouldn't say anything was killed with condensation.

Things only collect condensate when they are cold and moved to a warmer/higher humidity environment.  The comp was in a warm environment and moved to a colder/less humid environment so it wouldn't have had condensation buildup.

Set the computer up running in doors near the door hooked up to an extension cord.  Once running stable take the running comp and set it outside.  See if it still shuts down.  If it does, the only thing I can think of is the temp sensors are thinking they are malfunctioning and shutting the comp down to protect it.

Honor First!

I think biggest thing is that it takes some time for metals to cool. If you take PC from inside to out and start it, all components will still be at room temps and keep being like that for some time since they are being heated with use. You would need to do 1-2h testing where components actually have chance to cool down with ambient temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Probably wouldn't freeze that fast? I wouldn't recommend trying to build a computer in a fridge just seems like a bad idea. I mean didn't Linus do it successfully? not sure. I'm like pretty new to computers but maybe it got to cold?

Probably wouldn't freeze that fast? I wouldn't recommend trying to build a computer in a fridge just seems like a bad idea. I mean didn't Linus do it successfully? not sure. I'm like pretty new to computers but maybe it got to cold?

Linus' failed. Got higher temps do to lack of airflow.