Stripy lines of death

Benergy

My XFX 280x is having a strange problem. 

After 1-3 minutes of moving around the Windows 10 desktop, opening youtube/anything in a browser, or doing anything really, the screen will go grey/blue with vertical lines down it, accompanied by a complete system freeze (audio stops too, second monitor running on iGPU also locks up). Normally I would accept that the GPU is faulty however:

It runs Unigine Heaven just fine, Witcher 3 and Furmark too, fullscreen and borderless windowed - but as soon as you tab out, the countdown starts until it dies after those few minutes.

I left Witcher 3 running overnight as a test, and it didn't crash at all, however when I left it sitting idling at the desktop overnight it was frozen come morning (albeit without stripy lines).

Temperatures are fine, running all fans at 100% as a precaution. The card is not overclocked, it's a single GPU setup on an AX860 PSU so it should be getting enough power. I've tested with both Crimson and Catalyst drivers and the result is identical.

Any suggestions would be great, currently working around it by disabling the 280x monitor while not gaming and using the iGPU monitor  <_<

Almost as cool as my temps  

My XFX 280x is having a strange problem.

After 1-3 minutes of moving around the Windows 10 desktop, opening youtube/anything in a browser, or doing anything really, the screen will go grey/blue with vertical lines down it, accompanied by a complete system freeze (audio stops too, second monitor running on iGPU also locks up). Normally I would accept that the GPU is faulty however:

It runs Unigine Heaven just fine, Witcher 3 and Furmark too, fullscreen and borderless windowed - but as soon as you tab out, the countdown starts until it dies after those few minutes.

I left Witcher 3 running overnight as a test, and it didn't crash at all, however when I left it sitting idling at the desktop overnight it was frozen come morning (albeit without stripy lines).

Temperatures are fine, running all fans at 100% as a precaution. The card is not overclocked, it's a single GPU setup on an AX860 PSU so it should be getting enough power. I've tested with both Crimson and Catalyst drivers and the result is identical.

Any suggestions would be great, currently working around it by disabling the 280x monitor while not gaming and using the iGPU monitor <_<

gpu is dead

Try reinstalling drivers

Possibly a mix of both

gpu is dead

Try reinstalling drivers

Possibly a mix of both

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's able to run a benchmark and a demanding DX11 game indefinitely, and only crashes after tabbing out/closing the program.

Is there anything else that could possibly be wrong?

Edit: tried reinstalling drivers (different versions too) 

That sounds like either a form of artifacting, your GPU needing to be reballed or at least reflowed, or a form of driver corruption.

On one hand it could be a faulty GPU that needs some work, or just messy drivers.

I've reinstalled drivers about 20 times in 2 days, how would I go about fixing them?

Each time I reinstalled I used DDU in safe mode, and then used CCleaner registry cleaner for any remaining reg keys before installing the new driver, is there anything else?

Maybe go balls to the wall and reinstall Windows?

I've reinstalled drivers about 20 times in 2 days, how would I go about fixing them?

Each time I reinstalled I used DDU in safe mode, and then used CCleaner registry cleaner for any remaining reg keys before installing the new driver, is there anything else?

Maybe go balls to the wall and reinstall Windows?

get rid of win 10

Do you get a blue screen with an emoticon telling you something went wrong?

i don't think he does

Just the lines

Yeah there's no BSOD just stripes (that don't move or flicker or anything).

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/oU20iRi.jpg I made this in MS paint, but yeah, it's pretty much this. Sometimes it's gray with white stripes.

Then it isn't windows.   

Then that's your GPU is possibly going out the window.  I'd RMA it or try another to double check.  HW can do it at random times, and it almost always signals a faulty GPU.  It just depends on various factors when it does it.

I see, that is unfortunate  :(

I think the previous owner flashed the vbios at some point, so I doubt it's RMA-able.

I had that happen on my laptop after upgrading to Windows 10. The laptop had an iGPU and that would happen randomly. I ended up having to reinstall to fix it.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

That sounds like the flash could be causing this as that is one of the risks.  

It's been running fine for about a year until now, but are there any fixes related to that?

Bake at 375F for 10min

This sounds like one of those dodgy schemes like putting a towel over the overheating Xbox 360  :D What are the risks? Does it really work?

It's been running fine for about a year until now, but are there any fixes related to that?

This sounds like one of those dodgy schemes like putting a towel over the overheating Xbox 360, what are the risks? Does it really work?

My 9800gtx did the same thing, would boot into Windows, wasn't too hot, then after like 3 min would just throw horrid distortions until it locked up. I baked if and it and now it'll play Gta at 30fps pushing 810mhz core, keep in mind stock is 675, and they do not OC worth a crap.

1) You could try flashing it again to see if that clears up any issue.

2) It's not really. Let me explain as someone who does the more professional version. It's called reflowing, but the way he's talking about is doing a ghetto job of it. Reflowing is when you take a heat gun of a certain temp to fix solder joints. It's only putting on a bandaid to fix the issue though both professional and ghetto method of it doesn't always work. A more perm fix would be a reballing of said solder joints.

Because you ghetto reflowed it.

You think your shit doesn't stink huh? Your heart in method is the exact same thing. You're going to end up heating the entire card up anyways.

2) It's not really. Let me explain as someone who does the more professional version. It's called reflowing, but the way he's talking about is doing a ghetto job of it. Reflowing is when you take a heat gun of a certain temp to fix solder joints. It's only putting on a bandaid to fix the issue though both professional and ghetto method of it doesn't always work. A more perm fix would be a reballing of said solder joints.

Because you ghetto reflowed it.

Your amd can get warm enough to reflow its own solder.

2) It's not really.  Let me explain as someone who does the more professional version.  It's called reflowing, but the way he's talking about is doing a ghetto job of it.  Reflowing is when you take a heat gun of a certain temp to fix solder joints.  It's only putting on a bandaid to fix the issue though both professional and ghetto method of it doesn't always work.  A more perm fix would be a reballing of said solder joints.

Thanks for the info. Going to try disabling iGPU entirely first of all, then flashing vbios, I'll report back. Keep an eye on the thread please  ;)

Sticking the card in the oven will be a last resort  :lol:

You sound mad and uninformed.

I'm very well Informed. You bought the worst amd CPU to be made.

You sound mad and uninformed.

i believe he is

I'm very well Informed. You bought the worst amd CPU to be made.

and you stuck your head in the wrong ass

There an issue here gentlemen and/or ladies?

It's okay I just reported his posts for random attacks.  I think he confused ghetto method with a bad method, so he's randomly attacking me.

burn him with his oven :)

Oh boy what did I miss in here  :lol:

Tried disabling iGPU. This amplified the problem - complete freeze within 20 secs of log on. Solid white or grey colour (no stripes). Just opened a few folders and chrome.

I'll try flashing the vbios tomorrow, as unfortunately it's 5am here now -_-

Oh boy what did I miss in here :lol:

Tried disabling iGPU. This amplified the problem - complete freeze within 20 secs of log on. Solid white or grey colour (no stripes). Just opened a few folders and chrome.

I'll try flashing the vbios tomorrow, as unfortunately it's 5am here now -_-

Can you re-enable your IGPU, and try uninstalling all drivers, then letting window's do it automatically?

Can you re-enable your IGPU, and try uninstalling all drivers, then letting window's do it automatically?

Yeah I actually tried that exactly, uninstalled & deleted HD Graphics 4600 driver before disabling iGPU, but as it turns out Windows 10 update installed the same driver again  <_<

No driver temporarily had the same results as iGPU disabled.

Yeah I actually tried that exactly, uninstalled & deleted HD Graphics 4600 driver before disabling iGPU, but as it turns out Windows 10 update installed the same driver again <_<

No driver temporarily had the same results as iGPU disabled.

I would try reflashing the stock bios, as it sounds hardware related