Nexus 7 vs Notebook

Trouble Kelp

I am considering getting getting a Nexus 7 or a cheap Laptop (probably a chromebook). I would mostly use it at school so I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 cause it's smaller and easier to carry. If I got the chromebook I would probably end up putting linux on it and my friend told me it wasn't that great with linux. I also want to play emulators so that's another reason I'm leaning towards the 7. Which would you recommend and why? and if you have a chromebook with linux on it how well does it run?

CPU: Intel i5 2310 Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: MSI 760 Twin Frozr 4GB RAM: 8GB ADATA XPG Gaming Series 

Storage: OCZ Aglility 3 120 GB SSD, 2 250GB Segate HDDs Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520W

The chrome book would be easier to type on but would probably be to slow for Linux, I would get the Nexus 7

Chromebook. Laptops will ALWAYS be able to do pretty much everything a tablet can do and more. 

i.e. the LTTForums. mobile is not fully supported so you would be limited on webbrowsing. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

ASUS X200CA-DB01T: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231117

Maybe replace the hdd with a ssd?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Nexus 7 because it allows you to rather effortlessly draw mathematical formulas and other stuff you may encounter during lectures.

In my experience, capacitive touch screens are not very useful for recording mathematical formulas; drawing with a finger feels too unnatural and even if you get a capacitive stylus it's difficult to be precise. If you're not getting something with a full digitizer I would definitely recommend a keyboard for faster text input, and then just have a regular notebook for any diagrams or special symbols you need.

Overall I would recommend a cheap Windows laptop or the Surface RT (2, if you can wait) for school. That's a little more pricey than your options, but I think they'd be better in the end. It's possible you'll have different opinions though.

I'd say go with a Nexus 7 + a bluetooth keyboard over a chromebook. I just find it to be a little more versatile and portable. Plus the Nexus 7 is excellent for e-textbooks IMO, as I've been using mine for them for a little over 3 weeks and haven't had any reading issues. This includes Epubs, Mobis (Kindle), and PDFs where the fonts aren't adjustable outside of zooming in and out of the page, which I've yet to need to do. I also use mine for improvised flash cards, some made with PowerPoint (for mathematical formulas, identities, etc.) and the rest with Excel (for anything not math/number related).

Plus, you can still use Google Drive or Kingsoft Office for note-taking and even papers if you want. I haven't tried using it for handwritten notes, though so the advice above about using a sketchpad for math notes is worth bearing in mind (but you can get a composition notebook for $.99 easily).

If a tablet is your goal, why not samsung note 8?

I'm in favor of a notebook tho'. Any will perform better than a tablet for what you need it. Tablets are more media-consumption devices. I have an ASUS Transformer, look into those transformers too. They should represent a good middle ground.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.