Gtx 970 Sli Problems

chrisH

I just got 2 brand new Asus Strix Gtx 970 cards last night. Installed them and everything seemed fine for a bit. Ran Arma 3, Gta V, CS:GO, And H1z1. The only game were I saw an issue was h1z1(but that's not a shocker it's an alpha). A few hours later I started a competitive csgo match and about a minute into the game my monitor goes black, and the sound starts to loop. Then I had to restart my pc, and it happened 2 more times so I gave up haha.  

What do you think could be causing this issue? I'm thinking now I should've just bought a single 980 Ti but I really like having the 2 cards in there lol.

Specs: Windows 10 Pro

ga-z87x-ud5h

corsair ax760

2 gtx 970's

And i'm new to this forum, but i've heard this was the place to go so I figured I would give it a shot!

What is your power supply?

and yes always go for the more powerful single card vs two lesser cards.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I'm thinking now I should've just bought a single 980 Ti but I really like having the 2 cards in there lol.

of course you should have...i would return them, from my experience SLI is nothing but headaches all the time..

corsair AX760 i believe

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

and yes always go for the more powerful single card vs two lesser cards.

Its a corsair ax760. It was about the same price, and 2 970's benchmark higher than a single 980 ti. But i think 1 card will be more stable after what i'm seeing so far

of course you should have...i would return them, from my experience SLI is nothing but headaches all the time..

corsair AX760 i believe

Yeah i wish i would've known this before i bought them haha. If i can't figure anything out within a week or so ill have to return them to newegg.

Yeah i wish i would've known this before i bought them haha. If i can't figure anything out within a week or so ill have to return them to newegg.

if you can i would return them anyways, SLI support from game developpers is at it's lowest in years at this point...and you still have cards with 3.5GB of video memory (+ a slower 500mb extra) which won't be enough to run high quality textures in games for long...you also have higher power consumption which means more noise and more heat output and increased energy bills...and you'll have trouble with micro-stuttering, driver crashes, compatibility with games etc.

in benchmarks, yes it works great in benchmarks because they have been codded to respond well to multiple graphics cards, but not that many games are like that...to game developpers, PC gaming is kind of a niche market already...let alone multi GPU users on PC...so optimising and developping games for SLI or crossfire to them is really not worth it, and it will likely never be either.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

if you can i would return them anyways, SLI support from game developpers is at it's lowest in years at this point...and you still have cards with 3.5GB of video memory (+ a slower 500mb extra) which won't be enough to run high quality textures in games for long...you also have higher power consumption which means more noise and more heat output and increased energy bills...and you'll have trouble with micro-stuttering, driver crashes, compatibility with games etc.

in benchmarks, yes it works great in benchmarks because they have been codded to respond well to multiple graphics cards, but not that many games are like that...to game developpers, PC gaming is kind of a niche market already...let alone multi GPU users on PC...so optimising and developping games for SLI or crossfire to them is really not worth it, and it will likely never be either.

Yeah i sure be able to send them back. I just got them in yesterday. I wish i would've known that before I bought them haha, my fault for not researching enough. 

Well Asus linked me to a different driver and everything seems to be running like it should so far. Fingers crossed becasue I can't return the cards to newegg haha