psu only has 8 pin connectors

am4nkh4n
Go to solution Solved by Novistion,

You got them plugged in wrong? I did that once :x 

hi i have a 390x which requires an 8pin and a 6 pin connector. my psu has only got 8pin vga connectors on it. i was wondering if i can connect the 6 pin into the psu connector and if it would work.

thanks

Yes, the 8 pin is a 6+2 pin connector

so if i have a 6pin only i can connect it to the psu end?

They should split.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

They should split.

its a custom sleeved cable and it only has the 6 no + 2

so if i have a 6pin only i can connect it to the psu end?

Not necessarily. The pinning isn't standardized at the PSU end. If the cable didn't come with the PSU or it isn't specifically made for your PSU, you could end up getting the polarity wrong which would destroy your GPU. We'd have to know the make/model of the PSU and the cable to be able to help you tell.

Not necessarily. The pinning isn't standardized at the PSU end. If the cable didn't come with the PSU or it isn't specifically made for your PSU, you could end up getting the polarity wrong which would destroy your GPU. We'd have to know the make/model of the PSU and the cable to be able to help you tell.

its the EVGA Super NOVA 850W PC Power Supply - Gold

Do you still have the original cables that came with your PSU? You could remove the 6+2 connector from one of those cables and replace the 8 pin connector on your sleeved cable.

EDIT: Found a little how to video just in case you need it. Figured me trying to explain how in text form would go poorly.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

hi i have a 390x which requires an 8pin and a 6 pin connector. my psu has only got 8pin vga connectors on it. i was wondering if i can connect the 6 pin into the psu connector and if it would work.

thanks

Tell what custom cables they are? 

I reckon You'll have plugged them in the wrong way round

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H