Are touch notebooks worth it?

Yuval

Hi! i previously posted a thread about an ultrabook I wanted to buy, in it i saw people thought it is a good laptop, but things like haswell and a dedicated GPU were mentioned, after seeing an article about touch screen laptops not easy to use, (hands get tired etc...) i decided to look for a non touch screen alternative, and i did find one, the Lenovo S310, it has a slim design, good looking, Haswell I5 CPU plus a HD 8570M, with anti glare display.

So i was wondering what do you guys think. I looked for touch displays for drawing items into documents on one note,  (school work), but the extra performance would be nice, plus it's 60$ cheaper then the touch variant, which has the HD4000 by intel, and a ivy bridge CPU.

But it really comes down to, are touch screens really worth it? 

The laptops i am comparing are:

Lenovo U310T

Lenovo S310

:/

You shouldn't buy one because of its touch screen, but if it's still a good value otherwise, it can be a good decision.

The Laptop with the touchscreen has one variant with one, and one without, same performance, around 180$ difference (U310 and the U310T)

The S310 is 60$ cheaper then the U310T, with a dedicated GPU and a haswell I5, without touch. is the touch really worth it?

i would not get one becus i dont see the added value 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I would say that touchscreens are only worth it if you really want it; it's all a matter of personal preference. Personally, I find touchscreens on anything but smartphones and tablets to be annoying because I'd rather just use a nice ergonomic mouse.. If you like touchscreens and you think it will give you some useful benefits in schoolwork, getting the touchscreen model may be the right choice for you.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

i would not get one becus i dont see the added value 

I didn't get what you are meaning.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, but since i do prefer mouse and keyboard all day long for normal use on the PC, the addition of windows 8 to laptops all over is an issue, i can format the PC to win 7 but why waste a original win8 copy for a pirated win7 one.

After abit of thinking about it, i will go for the S310. I always have a mouse with my laptop, so yeah.

Just a quick question to rap this up.

I have concerns about the S310, I never found a single review about the S310, is it new therefore no one reviewed it yet?  

The reason I got a touch notebook was when I used a convertible tablet - used it primarily for note-taking in classes. I've since outgrown it. If I were to get another, I'd definitely pick one where the screen swivels around in some way (Thinkpad Twist, Helix or Ideapad Yoga - or the equivalent). 

A touchscreen is still pretty good for Windows 8. Found the experience much better on my sister's new laptop (X1 Carbon Touch). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Going to be in tight spots where a mouse can barely be used? A touch screen may help.

I would say that touchscreens are necessary at this point. Most of the non-enthusiasts are moving away from desktops to touch enabled devices and so the OS's in the future will be optimized for touch (such as win8). Windows 8 is a much greater experience on touchscreen.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I never found the real benefit to a touchscreen on notebooks unless the notebook is a GOOD, well designed convertible.  A touchscreen without a digitizer sucks for taking notes. Especially school notes.

If you want to hand write your notes and edit documents with precision then I suggest a tablet of sorts like the Note series by Samsung.  There are also a number of windows 8 laptop/tablet hybrids that have digitizers like the Samsung ATIV Q and Sony Duo 11/13.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I didn't get what you are meaning.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, but since i do prefer mouse and keyboard all day long for normal use on the PC, the addition of windows 8 to laptops all over is an issue, i can format the PC to win 7 but why waste a original win8 copy for a pirated win7 one.

After abit of thinking about it, i will go for the S310. I always have a mouse with my laptop, so yeah.

Just a quick question to rap this up.

I have concerns about the S310, I never found a single review about the S310, is it new therefore no one reviewed it yet?  

i just dont use touch screens and i think that they are usless in a notebook 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i just dont use touch screens and i think that they are usless in a notebook 

True, after reading some stuff about it and also asking around i found out it's not a must to have a touch screen, better off with a anti glare display good GPU and haswell CPU

Bump* Im looking for days now for a review on the S310, does anyone know one and can give me a link?