Help Choosing Which Software RAID

Altec

I'm currently trying to deiced which Software based RAID solution is going to be the best for me.

I have the following equipment and hard drives;

-ASRock B75M mATX

-60GB 520 Intel SSD [OS Drive]

-Fractal Design R3

-1x 4TB Seagate 7200

-2x 3TB Seagate 7200

-2x 3TB WD Green

-2x 3TB Toshiba 7200

-4x 2TB WD Green [Planning to use these as backup drives for the array and taking them to work as offsite]

I currently have 8.5TB of data and would like to have room for expansion. The B75M has 8x SATA ports and I will use 1x for the OS on the SSD and want 1x spare port to connect the 2TB WD Greens for backup. So have up to 6 SATA ports spare.

I'm looking for a Software RAID that is;

-More reliable than fast. I'm happy to sacrifice reliability for speed.

-Not command line based.

-Ability for future expansion via adding disks as well as removing/swapping drives.

-Reasonably established, nothing brand new that is unproven.

-Cheap/Free

So what Software based RAID would people recommend?

Cheers!

What OS are you using? In Win7 Pro you can create a spanned array, in Win8 Pro you can use Storage Spaces...

Software based though - you pretty much have to sacrifice so much - even reliability, etc. Within Windows, if your OS Blue screens and you can loose it all... Honestly, if you really need the data, look at a hardware raid card

Some other possibilities - something like unRaid or FreeNAS.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99