X99S SLI PLUS & Intel 750 1.2TB - Installing Windows

TootY

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the processes required in terms of installing Windows onto the Intel 750 PCIe SSD. I've read numerous forums with everything coming back with different answers so I thought it'd be easier in me creating my own post asking the questions I need answers to, which I'm sure the people here will know!

I have the X99S SLI PLUS Motherboard and I want to purchase the Intel 750 1.2TB PICe SSD to use as my main drive, it'll having everything OS and games etc.

I have read I much change a few settings within the BIOS for it to recognise, something along the lines of EFI I think it mentions.

Quoting "You will need a proper UEFI version - You will need to install a driver and it is tied to the operating system you use. This SSD used the NVMe protocol and that requires a specific OS, everything from Windows 8.1 and upwards and Windows Server 2012 R2 actually has native support and you can boot into windows with it. NVMe driver are included into the latest batches of intel's chipset drivers. We recommend you to install the Intel NVMe driver for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. We noticed a performance boost significantly once we installed the standalone driver opposed to the native Microsoft driver. For  Linux there is NVMe support from kernel 3.3. and higher."

And I should install a better NVMe driver once Windows has installed. I have Windows 8.1 which I will move up to Windows 10 once installed.

If anyone could light the path and tell me what needs to be, I'd be extremely grateful.

So in summary, if someone could help me with the settings and the required things I need to do to get the best performance would be great,

Thanks,

CPU: Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz  | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero  GPU: EVGA XC Ultra Geforce RTX 2080Ti RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridantZ DDR4 3600MHz

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 2TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Case: Phantek Eclipse P600S Glass White | Monitor2X LG 27UD68P Ultra HD 4K IPS

I would start by making sure that you have the latest BIOS (UEFI) installed on your motherboard. The other thing I would do is a CLEAN install of windows (8 or 10, your call)

I think that is pretty much all there is to it.

When in doubt, re-format.

PS: Welcome to the LTT forums. Please remember to leave the text colour to AUTO since people using the dark theme cannot read your post...

I would start by making sure that you have the latest BIOS (UEFI) installed on your motherboard. The other thing I would do is a CLEAN install of windows (8 or 10, your call)

I think that is pretty much all there is to it.

Oh, so really easy then! So I don't really need to change anything in the BIOS. I've never updated my BIOS, I'm really hesitant to-do-so. I've done so in the past and not ended up great haha! If I do not update the BIOS, what could be the drawback, if any?

PS: Welcome to the LTT forums. Please remember to leave the text colour to AUTO since people using the dark theme cannot read your post...

Will do, sorry if I changed it. And thank you for welcoming me :)

CPU: Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz  | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero  GPU: EVGA XC Ultra Geforce RTX 2080Ti RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridantZ DDR4 3600MHz

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 2TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Oh, so really easy then! So I don't really need to change anything in the BIOS. I've never updated my BIOS, I'm really hesitant to-do-so. I've done so in the past and not ended up great haha! If I do not update the BIOS, what could be the drawback, if any?

When the 750 drives first came out, Intel recommended that you have the latest bios installed to make sure that the NVME drives work as boot devices. Depending on what version you have right now, it may or may not be bootable. Having the latest bios installed is always recommended anyway, regardless of what you are trying to accomplish on your PC.

One thing to keep in mind, when you do update your bios, and changes you previously made can be reset to default values and you will have to change them again. As far as any specific settings relating to the 750 drive, There may or may not be anything to change, I am not 100% certain. Basically, try to see if you can boot off of it, it not, go in and change settings that would relate to boot devices and/or PCIe storage.

When the 750 drives first came out, Intel recommended that you have the latest bios installed to make sure that the NVME drives work as boot devices. Depending on what version you have right now, it may or may not be bootable. Having the latest bios installed is always recommended anyway, regardless of what you are trying to accomplish on your PC.

One thing to keep in mind, when you do update your bios, and changes you previously made can be reset to default values and you will have to change them again. As far as any specific settings relating to the 750 drive, There may or may not be anything to change, I am not 100% certain. Basically, try to see if you can boot off of it, it not, go in and change settings that would relate to boot devices and/or PCIe storage.

OK that seems logical. If the BIOS update does go wrong, is it something that can be resolved or are you done for if it goes wrong?

*EDIT* - Also, the part about updating the NVME driver from the default Windows one to the 'better' one, is that recommended to get the best results?

OK that seems logical. If the BIOS update does go wrong, is it something that can be resolved or are you done for if it goes wrong?

Depends. Generally speaking the only way something goes wrong is if you lose power or turn the computer off during the update. Some boards have the ability to re-flash the BIOS even if the computer is not working, (ASUS USB bios flashback, and some of the other vendors have the same feature) which would allow you to re-do the update if it fails for whatever reason.

Also, I believe that most manufacturers would cover a bios update fail under RMA.

A botched bios update CAN brick your board, but this is extremely unlikely to happen.

Also if youre really opposed to a bios update, you can try to see if it recognizes your 750 as a boot device, in which case you can skip the bios. I would still recommend doing it.

Depends. Generally speaking the only way something goes wrong is if you lose power or turn the computer off during the update. Some boards have the ability to re-flash the BIOS even if the computer is not working, (ASUS USB bios flashback, and some of the other vendors have the same feature) which would allow you to re-do the update if it fails for whatever reason.

Also, I believe that most manufacturers would cover a bios update fail under RMA.

A botched bios update CAN brick your board, but this is extremely unlikely to happen.

Also if youre really opposed to a bios update, you can try to see if it recognizes your 750 as a boot device, in which case you can skip the bios. I would still recommend doing it.

Just a quick thought, should I change the boot mode?

UEFI or LEGACY+UEFI

uefi.

Ok, and lastly! Promise! :) - I'm going to do the BIOS update and see what happens, however. Can I use any old memory stick or do I have to configure to be bootable etc?

Ok, and lastly! Promise! :) - I'm going to do the BIOS update and see what happens, however. Can I use any old memory stick or do I have to configure to be bootable etc?

Depends on the board itself, but you should be able to use any memory key. Just make sure that it is formatted to FAT32 and not NTFS because most bios'es will not be able to read NTFS. Basically download the new bios from the website, put it on a usb key and then restart your computer to go into the bios. Somewhere in there you should be able to find the option to update bios, navigate to the USB key and find the file. 

Once it updates, make sure to go back into bis and make any changes that were re-set (enable XMP, any overclock settings if you had them, fast boot, etc.)

Depends on the board itself, but you should be able to use any memory key. Just make sure that it is formatted to FAT32 and not NTFS because most bios'es will not be able to read NTFS. Basically download the new bios from the website, put it on a usb key and then restart your computer to go into the bios. Somewhere in there you should be able to find the option to update bios, navigate to the USB key and find the file. 

Once it updates, make sure to go back into bis and make any changes that were re-set (enable XMP, any overclock settings if you had them, fast boot, etc.)

Thank you for the help, it's greatly appreciated! I knew someone here would be able to assist! I will report back on the BIOS update and the 750 installation. Thanks

Mmmm, that hasn't gone to plan hah! So I downloaded the require BIOS update, added the contents to the drive as FAT32 etc, booted into BIOS all good. Went to the option to update, picked the drive, and then chose the BIOS update. 5 seconds and the computer will start, all good. Computer restarts but gives nothing to the displays It's been going for about 5 minutes now, no display but it keeps restarting itself.

Any ideas? Think I'm done haha

If I'm running two GPU's in SLI (980TI's - SLI) will I get ant performance difference or drop?

Slot specifiations:

Slots

• 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, support up to 3-way mode
- 1-way mode: x16/ x0/ x0/ x0
- 2-way mode: x16/ x16/ x0/ x0*, 16/ x8/ x0/ x0**
- 3-way mode: x16/ x16/ x0/ x8*, x8/ x8/ x8/ x0**

• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots

If I'm running two GPU's in SLI (980TI's - SLI) will I get ant performance difference or drop?

Slot specifiations:

Slots

• 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, support up to 3-way mode

- 1-way mode: x16/ x0/ x0/ x0

- 2-way mode: x16/ x16/ x0/ x0*, 16/ x8/ x0/ x0**

- 3-way mode: x16/ x16/ x0/ x8*, x8/ x8/ x8/ x0**

• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots

You will follow the 3-way diagram, the catch is that unless you have a 5930k or 5960x you'll need to run both your GPU's in PCIe 3.0 x8 operation (16 lanes) + 8 lanes (most PCIe SSD's only utilize 4) left over to fully saturate the lanes on a 5820k (28 lanes). In that configuration you will receive no loss in performance.

As for installing the OS to the PCIe SSD you'll need to go into your BIOS and find the drive, then select NVMe initialization as a first step as soon as you install it. You will not see that option before it's installed, or if your BIOS version is too old to support it. I used a Hyperkit plugged into my M.2 slot to initialize my 750 SSD (not the PCIe form factor). As soon as it was installed I could see it on first launch in the BIOS, hopefully it will go the same for you.

If you are trying to clone an existing OS to the NVMe drive you can initialize it as a normal device within the OS and clone like you would with any other set of SSD/HDD's (this is what I did for mine).

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You will follow the 3-way diagram, the catch is that unless you have a 5930k or 5960x you'll need to run both your GPU's in PCIe 3.0 x8 operation (16 lanes) + 8 lanes (most PCIe SSD's only utilize 4) left over to fully saturate the lanes on a 5820k (28 lanes). In that configuration you will receive no loss in performance.

As for installing the OS to the PCIe SSD you'll need to go into your BIOS and find the drive, then select NVMe initialization as a first step as soon as you install it. You will not see that option before it's installed, or if your BIOS version is too old to support it. I used a Hyperkit plugged into my M.2 slot to initialize my 750 SSD (not the PCIe form factor). As soon as it was installed I could see it on first launch in the BIOS, hopefully it will go the same for you.

If you are trying to clone an existing OS to the NVMe drive you can initialize it as a normal device within the OS and clone like you would with any other set of SSD/HDD's (this is what I did for mine).

I think I understand. I do have the 5930K - Would I still use the 3 way SLI?

I'm not too great but would it go something like this:

980TI 1st Card - 1st Slot

980TI 2nd Card  2nd Slot

750 SSD PCIe - 3rd Slot

I think I understand. I do have the 5930K - Would I still use the 3 way SLI?

I'm not too great but would it go something like this:

980TI 1st Card - 1st Slot

980TI 2nd Card  2nd Slot

750 SSD PCIe - 3rd Slot

No, if you have the 5930K you will want to do x16/x16/x0/x8. you will leave a gap between the last GPU and the PCIe SSD. Although, after looking at the board it's going to be a tight fit on that bottom slot for the 750. I guess it's going to hinge a bit on what case you have as well.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

No, if you have the 5930K you will want to do x16/x16/x0/x8. you will leave a gap between the last GPU and the PCIe SSD. Although, after looking at the board it's going to be a tight fit on that bottom slot for the 750. I guess it's going to hinge a bit on what case you have as well.

I'm a little confused, I am sorry.. Here is a top down view of my board - http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8557/MSI%20X99S%20SLI%20Plus%20Top.png

The space between PCI 1 and 3 are too close for the cards to fit. Wouldn't it have to be 1 and 5 for GPU's, then 6 for SSD?

I've taken a picture of my current GPU and as you see slot PCI_3 below, like a few mm - http://s1.postimg.org/aj9qts0m7/IMG_6075.jpg

I'm a little confused, I am sorry.. Here is a top down view of my board - http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8557/MSI%20X99S%20SLI%20Plus%20Top.png

The space between PCI 1 and 3 are too close for the cards to fit. Wouldn't it have to be 1 and 5 for GPU's, then 6 for SSD?

I've taken a picture of my current GPU and as you see slot PCI_3 below, like a few mm - http://s1.postimg.org/aj9qts0m7/IMG_6075.jpg

It should fit. Thats the standard distance between two double height cards.

It should fit. Thats the standard distance between two double height cards.

Oh wow! That's really close! Would it not overheat? 

So it'd be:

GPU in PCI_1

GPU in PCI_3

SSD 750 in PCI_6

Correct?

Oh wow! That's really close! Would it not overheat? 

So it'd be:

GPU in PCI_1

GPU in PCI_3

SSD 750 in PCI_6

Correct?

Don't get me wrong, having them crammed right next to each other is less than optimal for air-cooled cards, but there's not a lot of options if you want to be running a PCIe SSD out of a slot (as opposed to M.2).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-980-sli-review,1.html

That first picture should give you a good idea of how they're supposed to look with a reference card, the top card will be a bit starved for air. This is why a lot of manufacturers choose to do a PCIe_1 and PCIe_3 lane assignment, which also leaves room for 2+ height monstrosity coolers. You could always block the cards and run a water loop. The good thing is that almost all the 900 series Nvidia cards are fairly low power. If you're thinking of throwing 2 R9-390's in there, it's going to suck. Card sag may also be an issue, but is not instantly a problem.

If the labeled PCI_6 slot is the bottom most x16 lane, then yes, that is the correct setup for x8/x8/x0/x8 operation.

Don't get me wrong, having them crammed right next to each other is less than optimal for air-cooled cards, but there's not a lot of options if you want to be running a PCIe SSD out of a slot (as opposed to M.2).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-980-sli-review,1.html

That first picture should give you a good idea of how they're supposed to look with a reference card, the top card will be a bit starved for air. This is why a lot of manufacturers choose to do a PCIe_1 and PCIe_3 lane assignment, which also leaves room for 2+ height monstrosity coolers. You could always block the cards and run a water loop. The good thing is that almost all the 900 series Nvidia cards are fairly low power. If you're thinking of throwing 2 R9-390's in there, it's going to suck. Card sag may also be an issue, but is not instantly a problem.

If the labeled PCI_6 slot is the bottom most x16 lane, then yes, that is the correct setup for x8/x8/x0/x8 operation.

I'll just have to run the two close together, however if you look at my board in this image - http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8557/MSI%20X99S%20SLI%20Plus%20Top.png

(Zoom available)

For the 3 Way SLI which is 16/16/0/8 - Would'nt I go:

1st GPU in PCI_1

2nd GPU in PCI_3

750 SSD in PCI_6

So it wouldn't limit the channels to 8x?

I'll just have to run the two close together, however if you look at my board in this image - http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8557/MSI%20X99S%20SLI%20Plus%20Top.png

(Zoom available)

For the 3 Way SLI which is 16/16/0/8 - Would'nt I go:

1st GPU in PCI_1

2nd GPU in PCI_3

750 SSD in PCI_6

So it wouldn't limit the channels to 8x?

Sorry, yes. I keep forgetting you have a 40 lane CPU :blush:

Sorry, yes. I keep forgetting you have a 40 lane CPU :blush:

Haha! Thank god! I thought I was still going wrong, so the plan I said before is all good? :)

Haha! Thank god! I thought I was still going wrong, so the plan I said before is all good? :)

Yep, if you wanted to be extra thorough with the GPU's (assuming you haven't bought the second one yet) install the card in the PCI_3 slot and mark it's highest (vertical) point with some painters tape, then install it back in PCI_1 and make sure there is no overlap. I spent 15 minutes trying to find a picture with 2 cards installed on that board but apparently people don't take the "SLI" portion of the name very seriously.