Server Speed Issue

EmptySoul
Go to solution Solved by EmptySoul,

I bet her laptop is more than say 5 years old and I bet it only supports 54g at best N

You need to get her one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-7260-HMWWBR-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00N7474CS

This will allow you to use her laptop at full AC speed with the new router her ISP are sending

Thank you very much this was definitely the issue. I checked and her network card was only running at 39Mbps, So i brought my laptop over and tried and that was running at 130Mbps and the file transfer speeds were better.. still not great only transferring at 5MB/s but still better. I have ordered that network card that you suggested. It says on the manufacturers website that it has speeds of up to 867Mbps but reviews have stated that it I wont get that speed realistically.. but if I can get at least 300Mbps then I will be happy.

Thank you very much to everyone that helped I have read all the links and will spend some time reading up on networking.

Hi I brought a HP Microserver for my sister for Christmas, before Christmas I set it all up with at my house. Chucked a load files on the drives so that she could plug it into the router and with the Plex App see everything on her TV.

I tested it at my house and everything worked fantastic, I had the server connected directly to my router, my PC is connected to my router via wired connection and then used a chrome cast on my TV to stream Plex as my TV is not a SmartTV. Everything worked fine and transferring files to the server from my computer transfered between 120mb\s - 130mb\s. Which is great, faster than the external USB 2.0 hard drive she is currently using and with the added bonus of not having to get out of her chair. 

The problem is when she opened it on Christmas and set it up. She tried transfering something and it transfered at 2mb\s - 3 mb\s. A huge difference, she is using a laptop so WiFi instead of the wired connection to the router like my PC. I am still really surprised at the speed though as we are with the same ISP, have the same package, the same router and only live about a mile apart. We are both on 150MB/s Download and 15MB/s Upload. I understand that WiFi is slower than wired connection but I was still expecting about 40 - 50 MB\s over WiFi.

Is it the default router that we have with our ISP? They are delivering a new on tomorrow which is apparently supposed to "Promise 1300 MBs over WiFi" but that would be over 5g and the laptop only supports 2.4. 

Is there anyway we can increase our speed from the measly 2 - 3MBs a second?? I know the transfer speed is in bytes and the internet speed is in bits but surly that should still be faster than 2 Megabyte transfer speed. Otherwise why can I transfer over a wired connection at 120 megabytes a second.

Thanks

Snip

I bet her laptop is more than say 5 years old and I bet it only supports 54g at best N

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-7260-HMWWBR-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00N7474CS

This will allow you to use her laptop at full AC speed with the new router her ISP are sending

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Hi I brought a HP Microserver for my sister for Christmas, before Christmas I set it all up with at my house. Chucked a load files on the drives so that she could plug it into the router and with the Plex App see everything on her TV.

I tested it at my house and everything worked fantastic, I had the server connected directly to my router, my PC is connected to my router via wired connection and then used a chrome cast on my TV to stream Plex as my TV is not a SmartTV. Everything worked fine and transferring files to the server from my computer transfered between 120mb\s - 130mb\s. Which is great, faster than the external USB 2.0 hard drive she is currently using and with the added bonus of not having to get out of her chair. 

The problem is when she opened it on Christmas and set it up. She tried transfering something and it transfered at 2mb\s - 3 mb\s. A huge difference, she is using a laptop so WiFi instead of the wired connection to the router like my PC. I am still really surprised at the speed though as we are with the same ISP, have the same package, the same router and only live about a mile apart. We are both on 150MB/s Download and 15MB/s Upload. I understand that WiFi is slower than wired connection but I was still expecting about 40 - 50 MB\s over WiFi.

Is it the default router that we have with our ISP? They are delivering a new on tomorrow which is apparently supposed to "Promise 1300 MBs over WiFi" but that would be over 5g and the laptop only supports 2.4. 

Is there anyway we can increase our speed from the measly 2 - 3MBs a second?? I know the transfer speed is in bytes and the internet speed is in bits but surly that should still be faster than 2 Megabyte transfer speed. Otherwise why can I transfer over a wired connection at 120 megabytes a second.

Thanks

Do the same file transfer test from the laptop but stand next to the wireless router. Sounds like a signal strength issue and wireless can become extremely slow. Btw your internet connection has no relation to the issue as this is local network traffic.

Do the same file transfer test from the laptop but stand next to the wireless router. Sounds like a signal strength issue and wireless can become extremely slow. Btw your internet connection has no relation to the issue as this is local network traffic.

I have I have had them at the same table and it is the same speed... no different than when you are in the other room. I am hoping the new router tomorrow speeds it up a bit 

Thanks

The fact that you mention your ISP plan tells me you're completely uneducated in networking.  I HIGHLY suggest you start looking into networking in general so you can get a understanding of how networking actually works.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I never thought of that.. obviously lol I will check the new router tomorrow and if no luck then I will pick up one of these :) thanks

You will never achive those speeds on a 2.4ghz connection.

http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/2168

PC: EVGA SR2, 2x Xeon X5690 @ 4.5, 48gb GSkill Trident @ 1810, 2x Evga gtx 980 TI Classy, 6x 850 evo 250gb RAID 0, 2x WD 4tb, Corsair 900D, Custom Loop with Cpus And mobo, 3x Asus VN279q

OTher : EVGA x58 Classified3, Xeon x5679 @ 4.2, 12gb kingston HyperX fury, 2x Evga GTX 670, Adata sp550 120gb, 2x WD 2tb, Corsair Graphite Series 230T, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asus VG236H

The fact that you mention your ISP plan tells me you're completely uneducated in networking.  I HIGHLY suggest you start looking into networking in general so you can get a understanding of how networking actually works.

A tad harsh methinks, perhaps you should try helping this chap instead of belittling him... just a thought  <_<  <_<  <_<

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

We are both on 150MB/s Download

Please learn the difference between MBps and Mbps, there is a HUGE difference and it will make explaining your problem a lot easier. Right now you're saying that your ISP is giving you more than 1Gbps which is not correct.

You also state that she can only transfer at 2-3MBps which is 16-24Mbps which is more than your upload speed which is really good.

-KuJoe

where do I even start though... He's talking about his internet speed and complaining about a local network transfer speeds... I really don't know where to start.

A tad harsh methinks, perhaps you should try helping this chap instead of belittling him... just a thought  <_<  <_<  <_<

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

where do I even start though... He's talking about his internet speed and complaining about a local network transfer speeds... I really don't know where to start.

Don't? If you don't know how to help and just post irrelevant criticism then you can exercise your right to silence and move along. Learning the fundamentals of networking for such a simple single networking device setup is not necessary, useful yes but coming and asking for help here on this forum is much quicker and also educational.

The server has been tested and known to be working with no performance issues so that leaves only two points that could be the problem, the wireless router or the laptop.

I have I have had them at the same table and it is the same speed... no different than when you are in the other room. I am hoping the new router tomorrow speeds it up a bit 

You could also try plugging a cable in to the laptop and router just to make sure everything is working as expected and as you tested on your network at home. Testing with cables is the best first step to do if possible when dealing with wireless issues, confirms if it really is the wireless and not the device.

Don't? If you don't know how to help and just post irrelevant criticism then you can exercise your right to silence and move along. Learning the fundamentals of networking for such a simple single networking device setup is not necessary, useful yes but coming and asking for help here on this forum is much quicker and also educational.

The server has been tested and known to be working with no performance issues so that leaves only two points that could be the problem, the wireless router or the laptop.

Okay, this is why I don't usually post.  I posted previously that you should go do some research on how networks actually work.  That is my BEST advice as you can not expect any one person here to teach you, for free on their own time, about networking.  Especially over a forum post.  If you went on YouTube and just searched for a video describing home networking you'd understand that your internet connection has NO PLACE in this conversation as it does not, in any way, affect the transfer of files from the NAS to the client.

Additionally, I still don't know the router you're using (sounds like you're using a ISP provided router, which is a mistake all on its own.  You should contact your ISP, ask for a provided MODEM ONLY, and then buy your own separate router {or buy your own modem as well and save $7-10 a month}).  I don't know the network card you have, I don't know how the server is connected to the network, I don't know the signal strength of the client machine, you haven't said if you've moved the client closer to the access point to eliminate reception issues, I don't know.

Do you get why I said that I don't know where to start?  The information provided was next to irrelevant and I don't know your competency level of networking, so how am I expected to help in any way, until there is a knowledgeable standard where I can start.

Now, if you need additional help finding a video on youtube or something, you could continue by asking for that, if you're truly still at a loss, we could set up some time for a Skype call or something where I can teach you a little bit then guide you through fixing some potential issues.  But trying to diagnose networking issues over the course of (what I assume would be) at least a dozen post, you could resolve the issue yourself by simply learning.

PS this is one of those "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he eats for life" kinda' moments.

Spoiler

Additionally, I still don't know the router you're using (sounds like you're using a ISP provided router, which is a mistake all on its own.  You should contact your ISP, ask for a provided MODEM ONLY, and then buy your own separate router {or buy your own modem as well and save $7-10 a month}).  I don't know the network card you have, I don't know how the server is connected to the network, I don't know the signal strength of the client machine, you haven't said if you've moved the client closer to the access point to eliminate reception issues, I don't know.

Most of the questions you raised have already been answered. While ISP provided devices generally are not great they would not have such a performance difference as being reported. A new wireless router with AC1300 is going to be installed which may not solve the issue but might at least have a stronger signal and propagation.

The laptop that is having the speed issue only supports 2.4Ghz so does not support any of the new high speed wireless technologies. If it only supports 802.11g 54Mbps then maximum possible speed would be ~6MB/s, still much less than what is being wanted. This information was provided in the original post and is likely the root cause of the speed issue, and was identified by the first reply in less than 10 minutes. 

The time required to go off and learn networking would be longer than what would be satisfactory to get the issue sorted or at a minimum understand what is the issue. Rather than getting caught up on information that does not influence the issue you could read and interpret the provided information which is more than enough as a starting point. If this is such a problem for you then I would advise against a career in IT as these types of things are extremely common. 

Thank you very much this was definitely the issue. I checked and her network card was only running at 39Mbps, So i brought my laptop over and tried and that was running at 130Mbps and the file transfer speeds were better.. still not great only transferring at 5MB/s but still better. I have ordered that network card that you suggested. It says on the manufacturers website that it has speeds of up to 867Mbps but reviews have stated that it I wont get that speed realistically.. but if I can get at least 300Mbps then I will be happy.

Thank you very much to everyone that helped I have read all the links and will spend some time reading up on networking.