A plan to convert a console player

JoopZ

Hello everyone, I am in need of some help. I'm slowly trying to convert my brother from console gaming to PC, by helping him get his first PC. I've got some old components laying around at the moment, but the motherboard and CPU are lacking. I plan on helping him get a new motherboard and CPU sometime this year as an upgrade, I don't particularly fancy going all out on Skylake etc, looking more around the £200 mark for both, any suggestions? I've got my old Asus DirectCUII GTX 660 OC edition sitting here which I'll be putting in with it as well.

Thanks in advance!

Stop trying and get a life, if he enjoys his console, who do you think you are trying to piss him off?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Something along the lines of this would be gr8

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£139.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Asus B150-PLUS D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£70.30 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £210.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-07 03:32 GMT+0000

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Stop trying and get a life, if he enjoys his console, who do you think you are trying to piss him off?

I never said he was against it, I bought him about 3 games over christmas which he is loving, but he hasn't got a PC of his own, he really enjoys his PS4, but I think he will also enjoy PC, seeing how he wants to be on my other brothers PC as much as possible proves that he's not against it at all, and it's taking me next to no effort.

tumblr_n4fsllRtgE1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Something along the lines of this would be gr8

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£139.98 @ Novatech)

Motherboard: Asus B150-PLUS D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£70.30 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £210.28

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-07 03:32 GMT+0000

That looks like a great combo! Thanks!

tumblr_n4fsllRtgE1qcga5ro1_500.gif

LOL

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 5800x | Noctua NHD-15 | Radeon RX 6800 | 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite |
Laptop: Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 | Ryzen 5 Pro 6650U

I never said he was against it, I bought him about 3 games over christmas which he is loving, but he hasn't got a PC of his own, he really enjoys his PS4, but I think he will also enjoy PC, seeing how he wants to be on my other brothers PC as much as possible proves that he's not against it at all, and it's taking me next to no effort.

This is good and you are a good bro. If your bro is like mine, don't let him buy a Phenom 6 core and stick it in an AM2 board and err blow the boards VRM's up causing a fire.

Whilst i built my bro a gaming rig years ago... he had 4890 Crossfire and a Phenom II quad... he went and destroyed it.. and i'm the only tech literate family member... never again.

Hello everyone, I am in need of some help. I'm slowly trying to convert my brother from console gaming to PC, by helping him get his first PC. I've got some old components laying around at the moment, but the motherboard and CPU are lacking. I plan on helping him get a new motherboard and CPU sometime this year as an upgrade, I don't particularly fancy going all out on Skylake etc, looking more around the £200 mark for both, any suggestions? I've got my old Asus DirectCUII GTX 660 OC edition sitting here which I'll be putting in with it as well.

Thanks in advance!

If he's happy with it, why steer him away from it. (Maybe the wrong choice of words)

Also, 660 OC is nice n all, but he isn't gunna max his games past console level details anyway which he may expect that it can.... so you could be turning him AWAY from PC gaming.

Give him a PC to be productive on maybe, but if he's happier with his console, he'll prob stick with it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Personally, I find that consoles are perfectly fine for what they are.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

This is good and you are a good bro. If your bro is like mine, don't let him buy a Phenom 6 core and stick it in an AM2 board and err blow the boards VRM's up causing a fire.

Whilst i built my bro a gaming rig years ago... he had 4890 Crossfire and a Phenom II quad... he went and destroyed it.. and i'm the only tech literate family member... never again.

Oh wow. That is quite.... Special. xD

If he's happy with it, why steer him away from it.

Also, 660 OC is nice n all, but he isn't gunna max his games past console level details anyway which he may expect that it can.... so you could be turning him AWAY from PC gaming.

Give him a PC to be productive on maybe, but if he's happy with his console, who are you to judge?

Well he needs a PC for his school work also, that's why I'm just getting him one that works for now, but even he could tell the difference with GTA V on PS4 and on PC, even though I only had a 660 in my PC at the time, he said it felt much smoother, which is a good one to notice.

Basically.

No one needs converted. You're just going to cost him (or you) a lot of money

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Basically.

No one needs converted. You're just going to cost him (or you) a lot of money

I learnt a long time a go, if someone wants to PC game, they will do it them selves.

I learnt a long time a go, if someone wants to PC game, they will do it them selves.

He has literally no income, as he's under 16, so even though he does want to play the occasional game on PC, he can't do it himself.

He has literally no income, as he's under 16, so even though he does want to play the occasional game on PC, he can't do it himself.

I know that your bro likes to play a game or two on PC, not taking that away from you, but his own entire PC... a lot of shit can go wrong, especially if it has fancy lights and a window.. it's just a hot bed for disaster unless you take the time to educate him.

I know that your bro likes to play a game or two on PC, not taking that away from you, but his own entire PC... a lot of shit can go wrong, especially if it has fancy lights and a window.. it's just a hot bed for disaster unless you take the time to educate him.

Yeah don't worry, I plan on sitting down with him as I build it showing him how to build it, maybe let him do it himself, then give him the full birds and the bees talk about building/interacting on computers. xD

EDIT: Oh and it wont be anything fancy with lights and a window for his first build, maybe he'll upgrade it over christmas' and birthdays to add them stuff later.

It's possible. Let me tell you a story. In June I got my gaming PC even though I was still into console gaming. Realized that PC is way more fun and is way more tactical compared to the things on console. Get him a case with a side window and LED's with proper cable management too. First thing that made me transition to PC