In need of Audio mixer guidelines

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

Are there any features or brands that I should be hunting for in particular?

That depends on what he wants to do.  Like I said, #1 is making sure it has enough inputs, but besides that, a good eq (ie, as many controls as possible) on each channel is good to have, as well as the number of digital channels it can send to the computer.  For example, if it mixes all the inputs down to just stereo when sending it through USB, that's OK, but if you find one that will send each channel separately so that you can end up with a track for a mic, and a guitar, etc that makes editing in post possible and a breeze.  As for the best brands, the one a linked is quite good, but there are a number of nice ones - just check reviews and you'll see.

I'm considering possibly buying a mixer for a friend, but I don't know what to look for or where to start. I just need some guidelines and some tips so that I could start looking in the right places. Thank you in advance

I'm considering possibly buying a mixer for a friend, but I don't know what to look for or where to start. I just need some guidelines and some tips so that I could start looking in the right places. Thank you in advance

Hmmmm, seems interesting. What is your budget? Also, by all means I am not the best on the forums about giving audio advice. I just know the good vs bad brands. (my bro is a producer) 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

to start, know your size.  do you need like 4 inputs, or like 50+ (like the massive things you see in a studio)?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hmmmm, seems interesting. What is your budget? Also, by all means I am not the best on the forums about giving audio advice. I just know the good vs bad brands. (my bro is a producer) 

I wouldn't actually have a set budget. Although I think anything beyond $400 is out of the question.

On a side note, do you have your computer specs bellow your posts xD.

to start, know your size.  do you need like 4 inputs, or like 50+ (like the massive things you see in a studio)?

Highly doubt that it would need to be massive. We are talking about someone who is just getting into music.

Highly doubt that it would need to be massive. We are talking about someone who is just getting into music.

In that case, there are many nice little mixers with ~4 XLR inputs (for mics) plus some extras (varies by brand) for well under $1000 (maybe just a couple hundred) that give you the basics, in terms of volume and eq on each input, and can output to 2 big PA speakers through XLR, or connect to a computer through USB, etc.

like this for example: http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10FX/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I wouldn't actually have a set budget. Although I think anything beyond $400 is out of the question.

On a side note, do you have your computer specs bellow your posts xD.

Your a good friend! Haha. @Ryan_Vickers seems like he knows what to do, look at him. lol

And yeah, loads of people put them in, it is easy because you don't have to write specs in posts if you ever need to. :D

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

In that case, there are many nice little mixers with ~4 XLR inputs (for mics) plus some extras (varies by brand) for well under $1000 (maybe just a couple hundred) that give you the basics, in terms of volume and eq on each input, and can output to 2 big PA speakers through XLR, or connect to a computer through USB, etc.

like this for example: http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10FX/

Your a good friend! Haha. @Ryan_Vickers seems like he knows what to do, look at him. lol

And yeah, loads of people put them in, it is easy because you don't have to write specs in posts if you ever need to. :D

I'll start doing that when I finally get my rig and I don't have to use my mom's laptop :/

That depends on what he wants to do.  Like I said, #1 is making sure it has enough inputs, but besides that, a good eq (ie, as many controls as possible) on each channel is good to have, as well as the number of digital channels it can send to the computer.  For example, if it mixes all the inputs down to just stereo when sending it through USB, that's OK, but if you find one that will send each channel separately so that you can end up with a track for a mic, and a guitar, etc that makes editing in post possible and a breeze.  As for the best brands, the one a linked is quite good, but there are a number of nice ones - just check reviews and you'll see.

Alright thanks 

Allen & Heath is a reputable brand, I've heavily used a medium-large analogue mixer in live sound, and it's great. The USB features of the one listed above won't be professional quality, but for starting out their a nice thing to have. You might want more inputs for a larger band performing, and an extra output for more monitoring would be nice. It all depends on the usage.

Something from Yamaha, like one of these would work too. If you wanted a built in power amp (these), meaning you only have to plug in passive speakers, is a cool feature, but adds weight to the mixer. I've been vague with the hyperlinks, it all depends on what you need.