I have a Question About CPU Processing in Games?

I always had this thought, but I'm not sure which is true. This might still be a misconception I've had since being a child (or I should say, a lot younger).

Anyway, the GPU processer graphics. Obviously. As far as I know, it does all the AA and renders everything (10/10 explanation).

Here's the part where I'm not sure.

What I thought before, which sound stupid now that I think about it but it also sounds a bit true, is that the CPU would process the graphics and then give it to the GPU to smoothen it out. This was the only way I could explain why a CPU needed to be good when playing games.

What I think now, but I'm not sure which is true, is that the CPU simply processes physics and objects in games, like where everything is; the map; the architecture of the game; etc.

So which one is true, or are they true only to an extent or are they false? If you know about this, you can also explain it in your own words.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

There are physics effects in games that are calculated by the CPU. You would also need a Good CPU for the PCI-E Lane's when needed

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

The CPU is going to process what you don't see and the GPU is going to process the stuff you see. The CPU processes the AI, physics (to a degree), ext. The GPU processes visual physics like ripples in a pond or movement though stuff, stuff like the along with adding textures.

Brah, do you even Java?

The latter thought is true, but the first is not 100% false. the CPU thinks of the skeleton, structure and collision points of a building and the GPU renders the model and texture of this building.

Anyways, the CPU does all the physics stuff mostly really

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I always had this thought, but I'm not sure which is true. This might still be a misconception I've had since being a child (or I should say, a lot younger).

Anyway, the GPU processer graphics. Obviously. As far as I know, it does all the AA and renders everything (10/10 explanation).

Here's the part where I'm not sure.

What I thought before, which sound stupid now that I think about it but it also sounds a bit true, is that the CPU would process the graphics and then give it to the GPU to smoothen it out. This was the only way I could explain why a CPU needed to be good when playing games.

What I think now, but I'm not sure which is true, is that the CPU simply processes physics and objects in games, like where everything is; the map; the architecture of the game; etc.

So which one is true, or are they true only to an extent or are they false? If you know about this, you can also explain it in your own words.

Short answer : Half true

Long answer : Quite not true :P

The GPU obviously (as you mentioned) does the heavy lifting for graphics.  AA, AF, textures, SSAO etc are all done on the GPU.

The CPU runs the game engine and deciphers all the code and user input.  It also does some shadows in some games, but the CPU has to process basically EVERYTHING.  Nothing goes anywhere without first going to the CPU.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.