Peltiers + water cooling

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

I think I found out why:

"The TEC must have a maximum heat transfer capability about 2 - 3 times more than the amount of heat that the CPU puts out."

So for my 144W CPU, so would I need a 450W Peltier. At 12V, so is that 15A.

Thats a lot of power, just for stock CPU speed.

ot to mention, that you need 3 times the radiator space as well.

That's true but there is also a threshold where they are effective if you run the a full power they tend to get too hot even on the cold side since the ability for heat to wick out of the peliter is limited by heat transfer between it and a waterblock or large air cooler.

So having gotten no where with other solutions, so does it seem only way to improve my water cooling, is to use Peltiers: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

Granted, its not the easiest solution to work with:

"Peltier elements have very low efficiency. They will consume more power than they transport! Actual peltier elements may consume twice as much energy (in the form of electricity) as they transport (in the form of heat). So, if you are using a peltier element, the heatsink it is used with must be much more powerful than a heatsink used for cooling a heat source without peltier element."

The question is how the work, when you have several blocks in a loop?

Do I need a radiator and pump for each block, or can I chain several blocks on 1 Peltier?

Yes, I know I make a lot of threads, but its easier to keep track with 1 topic per thread.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

Swiftech came out with a peliter waterblock a while back and while it worked somewhat well:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/swiftech_mcw6500t/

Retention mechanism & CPU compatibility

• Model MCW6500-775T: Intel® socket LGA775
  • Model MCW6500-939T: AMD socket 754/939/940

Its a bit dated, given I'm on 2011-3.

Retention mechanism & CPU compatibility

• Model MCW6500-775T: Intel® socket LGA775
  • Model MCW6500-939T: AMD socket 754/939/940

Its a bit dated, given I'm on 2011-3.

Yeah not recent to say the least, it worked well but as of currently there aren't really any Peliter waterblocks anymore, the extra work needed to go sub ambient is what mos users don't really want to face. Others have suggested in other posts I've seen on a controlled peliter unit where it varies it's level of cooling to ensure it stay just above ambient so it wouldn't require the extra insulating and precautions. 

Only recent thing that ever used a peliter was the coolermaster V10 air cooler which did something similar. 

Yeah not recent to say the least, it worked well but as of currently there aren't really any Peliter waterblocks anymore, the extra work needed to go sub ambient is what mos users don't really want to face. Others have suggested in other posts I've seen on a controlled peliter unit where it varies it's level of cooling to ensure it stay just above ambient so it wouldn't require the extra insulating and precautions. 

Only recent thing that ever used a peliter was the coolermaster V10 air cooler which did something similar. 

I think I found out why:

"The TEC must have a maximum heat transfer capability about 2 - 3 times more than the amount of heat that the CPU puts out."

Not to mention, that you need 3 times the radiator space as well.

I think I found out why:

ot to mention, that you need 3 times the radiator space as well.

That's true but there is also a threshold where they are effective if you run the a full power they tend to get too hot even on the cold side since the ability for heat to wick out of the peliter is limited by heat transfer between it and a waterblock or large air cooler.

Guess my dreams of ambient (or sub ambient for that matter) cant be done silently.

It will work with Peltiers, but the power requirements are sky high for my high end setup (1500W worth of Peltiers to keep up with a 5930K and a 980Ti overclocked).

Not to mention that I probably need a wall of radiators, to keep up with the increased temperatures.

Guess I will just do redo my overkill water cooling setup and call it a day.

Guess my dreams of ambient (or sub ambient for that matter) cant be done silently.

It will work with Peltiers, but the power requirements are sky high for my high end setup (1500W worth of Peltiers to keep up with a 5930K and a 980Ti overclocked).

Not to mention that I probably need a wall of radiators, to keep up with the increased temperatures.

Guess I will just do redo my overkill water cooling setup and call it a day.

I did see a unique proof of concept someone did to use the peliter units as a chiller or heat exchanger to lower the fluid temps in their loop for slightly better performance but I can't seem to fine the original post on it.  <_<

That seemed to be the most reasonable way of implementing it in my eyes but not as effective as direct contact to the CPU chip or heatspreaders.

I did see a unique proof of concept someone did to use the peliter units as a chiller or heat exchanger to lower the fluid temps in their loop for slightly better performance but I can't seem to fine the original post on it.  <_<

That seemed to be the most reasonable way of implementing it in my eyes but not as effective as direct contact to the CPU chip or heatspreaders.

You mean something like this?