Is my graphics card overkill?

Daringpear

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jBX7K8

For my planned build, I have chosen an XFX R9 380 as a graphics card. As i am planning on getting a 1080p monitor, is the 4GB VRAM (8x my current setup with a Radeon HD 6530D) overkill for the moderate/light gaming I am planning on doing (games such as XCOM 2)? Additionally, how useful is the extra VRAM for applications like space engine (http://en.spaceengine.org/) that are very rendering-intensive? Lastly, are there any cards out there with similar performance, but cheaper and with less VRAM?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jBX7K8

For my planned build, I have chosen an XFX R9 380 as a graphics card. As i am planning on getting a 1080p monitor, is the 4GB VRAM (8x my current setup with a Radeon HD 6530D) overkill for the moderate/light gaming I am planning on doing (games such as XCOM 2)? Additionally, how useful is the extra VRAM for applications like space engine (http://en.spaceengine.org/) that are very rendering-intensive? Lastly, are there any cards out there with similar performance, but cheaper and with less VRAM?

What do you mean by light gaming?

I had a MSI 380 and it topped out CSGO 4Xaa at 150fps+.

Depends, some people mean "I game very little" when reffering to light gaming and others mean "I play games that dont require alot of horsepower".

What do you mean by light gaming?

I had a MSI 380 and it topped out CSGO 4Xaa at 150fps+.

I guess for games that don't require a lot of horsepower to run.

It's never a problem to have an overkill gpu unless you are concerned about the price which is where you would want to think about getting a lesser one but if you aren't that one is pretty good and will last you for a good amount of time.

Don't limit what's available to you to play. Stick with 4g of VRAM.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I guess for games that don't require a lot of horsepower to run.

Well, it topped out BSI at 70 average and dropped to 50ish in heavy fights.

I don´t see how such a medium card would be overkill, it´s going to be okay.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

VRAM isn't what's important. You choose a GPU, and the GPU will have a VRAM capacity corresponding with its performance tier (With the exception of the Fury X in the current gen...). It does not go the other way around.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

VRAM isn't what's important. You choose a GPU, and the GPU will have a VRAM capacity corresponding with its performance tier (With the exception of the Fury X in the current gen...). It does not go the other way around.

4GB HBM doesn't have performance drawbacks for the Fury X. The same GDDR5 metrics don't apply to HBM.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4GB HBM doesn't have performance drawbacks for the Fury X. The same GDDR5 metrics don't apply to HBM.

I didn't mean to say that the Fury X has deficient VRAM, just that a comparison in VRAM capacity between it and other similar-performance GPUs is different.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.