First of all, happy new year to you guys!

I'm currently in need of any advice or suggestions on what can be the best possible antivirus software for home/personal use? I have goten away with using none for quite a while(bad practice) since I don't transfer files with many other computers. That isuntil recently I've come across a virus that turns the folders into my usb drives and my new WD My passport ultra (ouch!) into applications. The files were okay and luckily. I've managed to clean the infected drives by trying out some workaround through cmd and deleted the "recycler" folder. I've also reinstalled windows on the affected computer - no virus (for now).

Now, I'm looking at different antivirus programs that I can use to make sure that the drives are thoroughly clean. I'm currently looking at Symantec's Enpoint Protection (since I've read that one user was able to clean his infected drives with a Symantec software, though he didnt mention what specific prgram he used). Although, during the  installation process for the trial version, I've noticed that it involves some network/server configurations and whatnot. This got me thinking that this might be too much for home use. (The srver configuration is still on going until now).

What other antivirus programs can you recommend? Or is Enpoind Protection okay? I've tried ESET Nod 32 a while back to remove some infections on usb drives as well, but unfortunately it didn't detect the recent virus my usb and computer had.

Thanks! :)

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

Well my experience with AVG has been good try that if you want 

First of all, happy new year to you guys!

I'm currently in need of any advice or suggestions on what can be the best possible antivirus software for home/personal use? I have goten away with using none for quite a while(bad practice) since I don't transfer files with many other computers. That isuntil recently I've come across a virus that turns the folders into my usb drives and my new WD My passport ultra (ouch!) into applications. The files were okay and luckily. I've managed to clean the infected drives by trying out some workaround through cmd and deleted the "recycler" folder. I've also reinstalled windows on the affected computer - no virus (for now).

Now, I'm looking at different antivirus programs that I can use to make sure that the drives are thoroughly clean. I'm currently looking at Symantec's Enpoint Protection (since I've read that one user was able to clean his infected drives with a Symantec software, though he didnt mention what specific prgram he used). Although, during the  installation process for the trial version, I've noticed that it involves some network/server configurations and whatnot. This got me thinking that this might be too much for home use. (The srver configuration is still on going until now).

What other antivirus programs can you recommend? Or is Enpoind Protection okay? I've tried ESET Nod 32 a while back to remove some infections on usb drives as well, but unfortunately it didn't detect the recent virus my usb and computer had.

Thanks! :)

Did you scan the usb with anti malwarebytes? That with an anti virus is really good

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much. This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

I remember I used Malwarebytes a couple of ages back to remove something on my system. and it worked fine but yeah, it's quite clear that it's not an AV. That's why I'm quite doubtful if it would be able to see the infection recently  on my system.

BTW, thanks for the input guys. :)

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

• 1 month later...

@lazydog

I have worked years for AVG as a malware analyst / freelance researcher and I also am close to getting my CISSP. 

I personally suggest using the market leaders such as Symantec, Trend or Kaspersky.   If you want a free product I advice Sophos Home Edition which is at home.sophos.com. 

I often get bashed for liking Symantec.  I think there are much worse antiviruses out there, and Symantec is probably one of the best in a real world situation it's got great Sonar and good Detection of wide variants of malware.

Kaspersky offers robust protection and so does Trend as well.

I think that antivirus is NOT needed if you know what you are doing because antivirus blocks only the mainstream stuff which you probably already know.  I think that Sophos Home is a good choice, I use it for my family and highly recommend it.

#-----------------------------------------------------

If you have a spare computer lying around, or you want to invest in something for even better security.  Get Untangle Free Edition and put it on an old computer and put it in front of you're router.  You can setup an IDS, Anti-virus and Anti-spam. 

And once again I'm sure you already know this but security is a layered concept.  Keep multiple layers always up as the wall is only as strong as the weakest brick, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. 

Use an IDS, Use a sandbox, Use a firewall on both an appliance and your operating systems, if you're running open setup a honeypot. 

Etc.

I'd stay away from Bitdefender if your into games, I had a paid version of Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and it had an annoying habit of preventing games from launching and only disabling it fixed the issue so I ditched it for Kaspersky Total Security.

I've had no issues with Kaspersky and I just get 3 month subscriptions off g2a for $1. :P

As for free ones, I've used Avast in the past without issue.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

i would stay away from Trend Micro. 

Source: do not know the exact time :'(

Original Source (what they have in the video): https://code.google.com/p/google-security-research/issues/detail?id=693

TL:DR version: Unmitigated disaster for the 'extra' features from trendmicro.  allows for remote execution and sending of passwords over the internet to a destination the attacker chooses . . . to start with.  the Google researcher also noted a few dozen other programs that look like they would do a bunch of damage and did not have time to look in to them. 

- - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -

currently Using McAfee Life Safe and it seems to work, but i really do not get much on my computer thanks only going to a total of 8 pages and everything else gets adblock and NoScript (on firefox) to keep malicious code from running. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

21 hours ago, Calidus said:

I'd stay away from Bitdefender if your into games, I had a paid version of Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and it had an annoying habit of preventing games from launching and only disabling it fixed the issue so I ditched it for Kaspersky Total Security.

I've had no issues with Kaspersky and I just get 3 month subscriptions off g2a for $1. :P

As for free ones, I've used Avast in the past without issue.

Bitdefender has a gaming profile which turns off notifications. Don't know If that would have solved your problem. 

Op, get free trials. Top dogs are supposed to be Bitdefender and Kaspersky. 

Just now, CBojorges said:

Bitdefender has a gaming profile which turns off notifications. Don't know If that would have solved your problem. 

Op, get free trials. Top dogs are supposed to be Bitdefender and Kaspersky. 

Nope even disabling didn't work, I can't say if the newer 2016 version does the same thing however, my key was only for the 2015 one. Only when completely shutting it down, certain games would launch. Its now on my mums computer until the licence runs out as she doesn't play games.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

On 1/3/2016 at 6:37 AM, ChevbeeHD said:

Well my experience with AVG has been good try that if you want 

AVG has changed it's terms of use and is now questionable in terms of privacy.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

kaspersky is one of the best av's

good for 3 pcs for 1 year for 30$

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Sophos home. Free for 10 devices, same AV engine that the corporate version uses, and you get access to a sudo enterprise console via the online dashboard. I use the corporate version at work, which has some more bells and whistles, but you shouldn't need the extra features.

I knew MSSE isn't doing anything on my PC... I need something powerful and lightweight than MSSE. Is there AV programs that's what I need?

Sorry for hijack your thread....

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync