First build - tips & helpful information

Squigg

Hey LTT community, 

I know this information can be found online and on several videos. But i would like to see what the LTT community has to say about first time building tips. I come from a heavy computer back ground especially with my uncle. This will be my first build and since me living in Australia the exchange rate makes building decent computers quite expensive. with that in mind i have ordered my parts and they are coming next week. Any information would be helpful, Thanks!

Here are the specs:

CPU: i5 6500 
GPU: Gigabyte r9 280x 
PSU: Silverstone strider 600w 
HDD: Seagate 1TB SSHD 
SSD: OCZ trion 120gb 
RAM: Geil super luce 2x4gb ddr4 2400mhz Blue LED 
MOBO: Asrock-h110m-hdv 
CASE: Silverstone ps11

Don't forget the PSU switch :)

We're all a victim of it at least once.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have this bookmarked: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1yg8xg/dos_donts_and_tips_for_first_time_bulders/

Pretty much tells you all the basics for building a PC for the first time and some common mistakes.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Thanks

Also real quick question, have you bought that 280x yet?

Nevermind lol

Edited by DarkBlade2117

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

During my first build I forgot to plug in the CPU and that took me ages to figure out. Also, try not to break the plastic ram clips, I broke half of them.

Also, I looked at your motherboard, are you sure the 280x can physically fit in that PCIe slot? I have been unable to fit large cards inside M-ATX boards due to heatsinks and SATA ports blocking bits of a big card.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

I would try to avoid the skylake cpus for now as they can bend under the pressure of cpu coolers. Even if you are not overclocking, I recommend getting a budget oriented aftermarket cpu air cooler for better temps when you are gaming or when your cpu is under load.

As for the ram, never heard of that brand before and don't know if its good but if you are getting an aftermarket air cooler, make sure to get low profile ram, like the Corsair Vengeance LP, as tall heat spreaders will obstruct the installation if large air coolers. Everything else seems good.

For tips on building, take your time, especially since this is your first build. Its normal to get excited but don't rush when you are building it, as you are prone to making errors when you do so. When applying thermal paste, DON'T finish the whole tube. Believe me some people actually finish the whole tube of thermal paste the first time they use it. Just apply a small pea sized blob of paste in the middle of the cpu and you're done. The cooler will spread the paste out for you. 

Another important tip is that all the connectors and what not in computers only go in one way, so if you find yourself forcing something in, then you are most likely doing it wrong. Do NOT force anything in as it can damage your components. It is important to have good cable management, as airflow will be better without cable clutter and there will be lesser spots for dust to settle on. When routing and managing cables, route the cables through the cut-out closest to the connector you want to plug it into. As for cable management, leave the large, bulky cables to themselves instead of tying other cables with them to prevent clutter. When managing your cables, give the cables clear, distinct paths to follow so as to not have cable clutter.

And the final tip is to double check everything. Make sure everything is seated and plugged in properly so you don't end up with a black screen or and error when you turn your computer on. Also, make sure you switched on the main power switch and the switch on your psu before turning it on. You won't believe how many times I forgot to turn the psu switch on.

Have fun building! :)

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

I would try to avoid the skylake cpus for now as they can bend under the pressure of cpu coolers. Even if you are not overclocking, I recommend getting a budget oriented aftermarket cpu air cooler for better temps when you are gaming or when your cpu is under load.

As for the ram, never heard of that brand before and don't know if its good but if you are getting an aftermarket air cooler, make sure to get low profile ram, like the Corsair Vengeance LP, as tall heat spreaders will obstruct the installation if large air coolers. Everything else seems good.

For tips on building, take your time, especially since this is your first build. Its normal to get excited but don't rush when you are building it, as you are prone to making errors when you do so. When applying thermal paste, DON'T finish the whole tube. Believe me some people actually finish the whole tube of thermal paste the first time they use it. Just apply a small pea sized blob of paste in the middle of the cpu and you're done. The cooler will spread the paste out for you. 

Another important tip is that all the connectors and what not in computers only go in one way, so if you fine yourself forcing something in, then you are most likely doing it wrong. Do NOT force anything in as it can damage your components. It is important to have good cable management, as airflow will be better without cable clutter and there will be lesser spots for dust to settle on. When routing and managing cables, route the cables through the cut-out closest to the connector you want to plug it into. As for cable management, leave the large, bulky cables to themselves instead of tying other cables with them to prevent clutter. When managing your cables, give the cables clear, distinct paths to follow so as to not have cable clutter.

And the final tip is to double check everything. Make sure everything is seated and plugged in properly so you don't end up with a black screen or and error when you turn your computer on. Also, make sure you switched on the main power switch and the switch on your psu before turning it on. You won't believe how many times I forgot to turn the psu switch on.

Have fun building! :)

Hmm i have heard about the skylake bending problem as the cpu wafer itself is thinner, later down the road i am going to buy a cheap aftermarket cooler ( hyper 212 or hyper tx3 ) As for the ram i have heard all positive reviews and they come with a lifetime warranty, I will take your other points into considerations, thanks!