How do I SSD cache my 4x4TBRaid5

Currently running my Maximums IV Extreme-Z with a 1TB Samsung SSD as OS and games, while I have 4x4TB WD drives in Raid5.

I also have 2x240GB Corsair Force drives free now, as they were Raid0 for I wanna say two years (fuzzy memory) as my OS before I got the 1TBSammy.

So as you may of guessed it I would like to use the two drives as cache for my 4x4TB Raid5, I know its overkill but its what I got, n hey this is a LTT fourm, what's not overkill.
I figured ill Raid1 the 2x240GB's for safety, but how do I begin on making them cache for the Raid5?

All 6 Drives will be using the MOBO's 6 Intel ports, where my 1TB is off the Marvell Controlled port.
I need this write speed to my array to be faster than 20MB/s give or take. I understand the bigger the Raid5 array the slower write speed it will get, hence why I would like to shove a cache in it's face n get fast writes too, after all it reads at a fast 350-400MB/s

Thats all I think you need to know, but hey drop a question if you need to know more... 

Thanx
Markes12344

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock

https://grepular.com/Disk_Caching_with_SSDs_Linux_and_Windows

>Intel Smart Response (Motherboard + CPU has to support it)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So after reading up on both, I'm beginning to realise that a SSD cache may not be what I'm looking for, or is it?

What I am looking for is a partition that when I write to it, I write to it fast onto the SSD's. While when I read from the partition I'm reading off the HHD's that are in the raid. Essentially the SSD's are a cache holding the incoming files as they slowly write them onto the HDD raid.

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock

In that case I don't know of a solution.

SSD cache is for fast reading purposes only.

If what you want ultimately means fast simultaneous read/write from your HDD's, I'm afraid it can't be done due to SATA limitation of not being full duplex.

The closest thing to achieving it is to write to the SSD first, and upon write completion, configure a mirroring application to offload it onto the HDD array.

this is what I feared I had to do. 

Unless dose freenas / zfs would allow me to accomplish this. 

this is what I feared I had to do. 

Unless dose freenas / zfs would allow me to accomplish this. 

Yeah, FreeNAS & ZFS can do it. 

In ZFS, it uses the RAM on the system as the cache. So reads come from the RAID 5 array, unless it's in the RAM already, and writes go to the RAM then to the array.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.