How can fans be connected?

IoWii

Soi got a new PSU and the molex cable is too short, it would be okay if i wouldnt connect the fans to the motherboard. Can fans be connected only via MOLEX or do they have to be connected via MOLEX and to the board? The fans would be connected with 3 pins to the board.

Soi got a new PSU and the molex cable is too short, it would be okay if i wouldnt connect the fans to the motherboard. Can fans be connected only via MOLEX or do they have to be connected via MOLEX and to the board? The fans would be connected with 3 pins to the board.

You don't need to connect the fans to the board, unless you want to monitor the fan speed.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

If the fans use 5V you can just use the MOLEX's 5V supply.

Pinout of the 3pin fan header is

3pinfanpo.jpg

You don't need to connect the fans to the board, unless you want to monitor the fan speed.

Will the fans run at 100% then tho?

If the fans use 5V you can just use the MOLEX's 5V supply.

Pinout of the 3pin fan header is

3pinfanpo.jpg

No idea how much they consume, they are stock case fans i got and they have blue leds in them

Will the fans run at 100% then tho?

Yup

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

No idea how much they consume, they are stock case fans i got and they have blue leds in them

I highly doubt they're 12V then. Even if they do require 12V and you're feeding it 5V, it will just spin slower.

I highly doubt they're 12V then. Even if they do require 12V and you're feeding it 5V, it will just spin slower.

Yup

just plugged them in and turned the PC on, only 1 is with molex only and it spins a bit faster, thanks for the help, almost ordered a molex extension xD

There are so much confusing posts in this thread.

All fans work at 12V. Molex connector with all 3 wires connected supplies 12V. Each mobo fan header also supplies 12V. Besides that, each mobo header is 1A. Most of the fans are something like 0.2A. So you can connect up to 3 fans safely to single mobo header.

As for connectors themselves. Most fans have 3pin or 4pin connector (shown in pic by @MeshFile. Some might have both fan connector and molex connector. You can use either one.

When you use Molex to connect fans, they will be spinning on full speed whole time. This when molex has 12V wire connected. Some molex adapters and modded connectors have only 7V or 5V line in use. With those fans will be spinning slower than when using 12V connection. If you connect fans to mobo, you can monitor rpm. Most modern mobos allow control of fans either with DC (3pin) or PWM (4pin).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv