Windows 10 Stutter during desktop background slideshow

mrcharizard

Hi all!

I've just upgraded my laptop(Lenovo Y580) to Windows 10, and while I was happily trying to personalize the desktop, I found out that whenever the desktop background changes, the system would experience a 0.5 second stutter.

I think the problem should be with the dual GPU switching, because if I disabled the Nvidia discrete graphics in the device manager, the stuttering stops and everything is buttery smooth. But then its really a pain to disable/enable the discrete graphics whenever I want to play a game.

I also found out, that if MSI afterburner was running, even without any OC applied(yes I OC my laptop :D) the stuttering stops.

While its acceptable for me to run MSI afterburner all the time, it's not really an elegant solution. So I was wondering if the wise LTT forum community knows a better solution :D

Hi all!

I've just upgraded my laptop(Lenovo Y580) to Windows 10, and while I was happily trying to personalize the desktop, I found out that whenever the desktop background changes, the system would experience a 0.5 second stutter.

I think the problem should be with the dual GPU switching, because if I disabled the Nvidia discrete graphics in the device manager, the stuttering stops and everything is buttery smooth. But then its really a pain to disable/enable the discrete graphics whenever I want to play a game.

I also found out, that if MSI afterburner was running, even without any OC applied(yes I OC my laptop :D) the stuttering stops.

While its acceptable for me to run MSI afterburner all the time, it's not really an elegant solution. So I was wondering if the wise LTT forum community knows a better solution :D

I am not sure myself. I have never experienced this issue in my month of Windows 10 but I would just say go ahead and click "run OC on startup" in afterburner. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC