Question on JBOD and Raid10

Houd

JBOD: Is it correct that it stores data onto 1 disk at the time, so when disk 1 is full it moves on to disk 2 and so on?

If 1 disk in the JBOD span fails can I access the remaining data not saved to that disk? On a windows10 ntfs system?

Raid10: How to create a software raid 10 in windows 1+0? Out of the gate I only see 0,1 and 5?

I believe with JBOD the idea is that it has any data on 2 separate physical disks at any given time.

And for RAID 10, make 2 RAID 0 volumes then RAID 1 them together?

Sig under construction.

I believe with JBOD the idea is that it has any data on 2 separate physical disks at any given time.

And for RAID 10, make 2 RAID 0 volumes then RAID 1 them together?

I read abit about it and im quite sure that is not how JBOD distributes data, that would make recovering JBOD impossible. Anyone else?

Regarding raid 10, I did not know that was how you did it, so thanks.

~snip~

Hey there :)

Simple JBOD means that you have separate drives as separate volumes in your system.
JBOD Span is another thing which combines all your drives into one huge volume, offering absolutely no redundancy nor any speed increase. 
If a drive fails you may be able to access the rest of the drives but your data will be in danger nevertheless. 

Regarding the RAID10 question I believe this would be of help: http://www.maximumpc.com/how-set-raid-10-windows-8-and-linux/ :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have other questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

JBOD: Is it correct that it stores data onto 1 disk at the time, so when disk 1 is full it moves on to disk 2 and so on?

If 1 disk in the JBOD span fails can I access the remaining data not saved to that disk? On a windows10 ntfs system?

Raid10: How to create a software raid 10 in windows 1+0? Out of the gate I only see 0,1 and 5?

The true purpose of JBOD is to pass through the disks to the operating system as untouched as possible, so they look like any other normal disk plugged in to the system. Meaning they are not in a RAID array but may be plugged into to a RAID card, HBA or RAID enabled port on the motherboard.

The reason for this is so you can use them in a software configuration that offers redundancy itself and relies on true readouts from the disks and not what a RAID card tells it. ZFS, BTRFS and Storage Spaces are examples of this where using a RAID array disk is generally not considered best practice or a good design choice. Either use hardware RAID or a software solution not both.

Regarding creating software RAID in Windows the short answers is use Storage Spaces, never use the legacy software RAID options in Windows. Depending on how safe you want your data to be create either a 2 Way Mirror space or a 3 Way Mirror space.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11382.storage-spaces-frequently-asked-questions-faq.aspx

The other option is to use the RAID capabilities of your motherboard which is rather common now days. The Intel RST utility in Windows should let you do this or do it during boot.

Section 8:

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

Thanks. My first question was regarding JBOD spanned ofcourse for the purpose of having just 1 large - all together - drive, in which data can be recovered if 1 disk fails. How come the maybe Cap_WD?

Leadeater how so? I was told that windows software raid would be the way to go in a desktop enviorment?

Edit: Read the guide from CAP_WD, seems storage spaces is software raid.

Great guide cap_wd

Thanks. My first question was regarding JBOD spanned ofcourse for the purpose of having just 1 large - all together - drive, in which data can be recovered if 1 disk fails. How come the maybe Cap_WD?

Leadeater how so? I was told that windows software raid would be the way to go in a desktop enviorment?

Edit: Read the guide from CAP_WD, seems storage spaces is software raid.

Great guide cap_wd

Storage Spaces is completely new and was designed for server use. The traditional software RAID in Windows is awful and shouldn't be used if you can help it. Manually messing around with what Storage Spaces has done like what was shown in that link isn't generally a good idea. Potential for things to go horribly wrong if you try and modify the Storage Space configuration after doing what was shown.

If the default configuration options in Storage Spaces is considered good enough for server environments then I should imagine they are enough for desktop use.

Using the RAID capabilities of your motherboard is a much better idea than using Windows software RAID.

~snip~

I'm glad it was useful and educational :)

The "maybes" come from the way the different OSs treat the SPAN volume. Generally it is the same as a Striped (RAID0) volume and if one drive goes belly-up you'd lose access to all of the data. But, unlike the Striped volume case, you still have ALL your other data on the rest of the drives and not HALF of it (like in the striped volume). There are different third-party software tools that can get the data for you and is far easier to extract it compared to a RAID volume. :) 

I would second @leadeater's opinion about using the motherboard's RAID capabilities for desktop usage as it is easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

In that case your above link is useless as its storage space guide. Is it same principle from bios? 2xraid1 and then 2 raid 1 into raid 0?

In that case your above link is useless as its storage space guide. Is it same principle from bios? 2xraid1 and then 2 raid 1 into raid 0?

Well to be fair you were asking how to create a software raid 10 in Windows. And yes it is the same as you describe, sometimes RAID 10 is a configuration option for RAID type when setting it up, rather than having to do it in multiple steps as you described.

Thanks for the help both of you :)