Are we allowed to run GPT on SSD and MBR on HDD simultaneously on one PC?

minus
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

mbr is the old guard of logging. the newer gpt does write the master files multiple

locations for security and redundancy. is there a genuine noticeable difference, no.

but security-wise the gpt format does lend to better tolerances.

if you are SSD size handicapped, then use mbr. as the gpt does partition and store

data records and shortens the capacity of the drive.

use sean's install guide for actual step-by-step: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds/0_30

I recently bought an Intel 530 SSD and I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate on it. The thing is, my current HDD is partitioned as MBR whilst I'm trying to install GPT on the SSD. Would I encounter any problems if I continue this path? 

My motherboard is GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (has UEFI and supports GPT AFAIK)

Planning to Install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

-------------

Also, I am having a problem installing windows 7 on the SSD as GPT.

Error : Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

I already tried the Diskpart method but to no avail. I have read somewhere (but I can't find it again for the life of me) that you cannot install windows 7 GPT if the installation media is formatted in NTFS/MBR as well (should be FAT32).

--------------

Honestly at this point, I am wondering if there are real world benefits from installing GPT instead of MBR.

Any ideas?

I recently bought an Intel 530 SSD and I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate on it. The thing is, my current HDD is partitioned as MBR whilst I'm trying to install GPT on the SSD. Would I encounter any problems if I continue this path? 

My motherboard is GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (has UEFI and supports GPT AFAIK)

Planning to Install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

-------------

Also, I am having a problem installing windows 7 on the SSD as GPT.

Error : Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

I already tried the Diskpart method but to no avail. I have read somewhere (but I can't find it again for the life of me) that you cannot install windows 7 GPT if the installation media is formatted in NTFS/MBR as well (should be FAT32).

--------------

Honestly at this point, I am wondering if there are real world benefits from installing GPT instead of MBR.

Any ideas?

Motherboard buddies.

Not 100% sure though. Sorry.

mbr is the old guard of logging. the newer gpt does write the master files multiple

locations for security and redundancy. is there a genuine noticeable difference, no.

if you are SSD size handicapped, then use mbr. as the gpt does partition and store

use sean's install guide for actual step-by-step: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds/0_30

Motherboard buddies.

*Brofist*

Is there a genuine noticeable difference, no.

Well, since Linus is proud of the Intel SSD's reliability, I might as well just go the MBR eh? 

I didn't know that. So since my current SSD is 120GB it will be "shrinked" further? whelp, MBR it is then. Thank you very much! 

Marked as solved.

when you diskpart and create your primary follow this step:

type>clean

type>create partition primary align=1024

type>format quick fs=ntfs

this will get your SSD ready for the OS.