Why not use GPUs as CPUs

Go to solution Solved by LuX_,

GPUs have far more processor cores than CPUs, but because each GPU core runs significantly slower than a CPU core and do not have the features needed for modern operating systems, they are not appropriate for performing most of the processing in everyday computing. They are most suited to compute-intensive operations such as video processing and physics simulations.

= got it from this website http://superuser.com/questions/308771/why-are-we-still-using-cpus-instead-of-gpus

GPUs being much more powerful why not use them as CPUs? (This may sound like a stupid question but I really want to know)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

gpus run faster because youre able to let some errors through

cpu can not as it would ruin your system

I think that's what GPU acceleration/computing is. That's when the CUDA cores are put to work in NVIDIA chips, i believe, I'm not sure :P

gpu's need a lot more watt

in theory this would increase the global watt usage with a multiplier of <insertnumberhere> or higher... that doesnt sound very good for the environment

and GPU's can run with some small errors while CPU hate errors

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

GPUs have far more processor cores than CPUs, but because each GPU core runs significantly slower than a CPU core and do not have the features needed for modern operating systems, they are not appropriate for performing most of the processing in everyday computing. They are most suited to compute-intensive operations such as video processing and physics simulations.

= got it from this website http://superuser.com/questions/308771/why-are-we-still-using-cpus-instead-of-gpus

Because they work differently. Basically they crunch numbers in different ways, and depending on the workload you should use a CPU or GPU. While yes, you CAN use a GPU as a CPU, and the other way around, it would not be efficient nor practical. 

Also, CPUs have few strong cores, GPUs have many weak cores.

CPUs are much, much better at doing a single thing or a set of things at a time and doing so without error. GPUs are made to do hundreds or thousands of small things at a time but they can let errors through.

Basicly what the others have said already, I have recently seen a video about it and I really like how they explain things on the channel, so I thought I'd drop it anyways: