First time building, need some help

mynhierc

Alright this is my first build and I need some help. I'm not sure if I am getting a good deal or should I do things a little different. Also I am unsure of any wires/plugs/etc that I will need separate from what I buy. I'm buying from several reputable vendors and I am price checking everything. I'm sitting at about $1900 USD right now. I am willing to spend a little more if need be.

So here are the parts I've selected, with links to them.

• CPU- Intel i7 6700 (I will NOT be overclocking so I do not feel the need for the 6700k.)
  • CPU Cooler- Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX (Or is the H110i worth the additional $20?)
  • Motherboard- MSI Z170A Gaming M7 (Had some good reviews, seems easy enough, LOVE the look.)
  • RAM- 2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2x 16gb leaves me room to buy 2 more 16gb to max the board out.)
  • PSU- EVGA Supernova 850 G2 (I hear anything JonnyGURU gives a 9.9/10 to is worth it, I also used a PSU calculator to determine I need about 800w. I linked to NewEgg instead of the EVGA site because at the time of posting the EVGA site is down. EVGA Site)
  • GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 (It was between this and the 970 by EVGA; I picked this one purely on aesthetics since they seem to have relatively the same output, I am unaware of any features the EVGA may have that the MSI does not, probably will never do SLI/CF.)
  • Storage- Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256gb SSD (I hear these things are amazing, and I do not feel I need more than the 256gb to run applications.)
  • Additional Storage- 2x 2TB WD Red HDD (Considering RAID 0 with these for storage of movies, music, pictures etc... not using it as a backup, I've read that WD Red are the most reliable for RAID setups.)
  • OS- WIndows 10 Pro - OEM (I am confused on this as well, I will probably buy it from NewEgg, but will I get it as a CD, flash drive, or do I have to make my own boot material and get just the Serial Code from NewEgg?)
  • Media Reader/Writer- LG Black 16x BD-R (I assume 16x is better than 14x?)

Those are the main components. I picked a case that does support the ATX motherboard and will get a few extra fans.

Please and thank you for all the help in advance :D

@mynhierc follow your topic

no need to get liquid cooler for locked cpu

if the stock cooler is to loud go get a 212 evo that should do the trick for noise

now about 970 vs 390, what games do you play?

also no need to get z170 board if your not overclocking..

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

If you don't overclock, do you really need a watercooler? More points of failure and all that. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 with a 6700K overclocked to 4.5, and my load temps never go above 65C.

Keep in mind the Mobo has no USB-C. I have the ITX version of that board.

You should switch the 970 for a R9 390 if you want better performance in games, and the liquid cooler is really unnecessary if you arent overclocking. At most you could get a $25 212 evo.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Alright this is my first build and I need some help. I'm not sure if I am getting a good deal or should I do things a little different. Also I am unsure of any wires/plugs/etc that I will need separate

Here, more SSD storage, GPU has more performance overall, with room left in the budget, should probably get a better case, possibly a HAF XB EVO, it's just about the best case for functionality.

and it includes a 1440p 144hz IPS Free-sync display

unless you aren't talking about a US build

NVME SSDs are a waste of money for the average user, and don't just throw your drives into a RAID set up, there's not much point, just keep one as a dedicated back up in an external dock/enclosure periodically backing up to it

HGST drives are by far the ones to get for reliability

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZpLkxr

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZpLkxr/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($122.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.89 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer XF270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($591.71 @ Amazon)

Total: $1518.52

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 17:22 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

if the stock cooler is to loud go get a 212 evo that should do the trick for noise

I've heard overclocking a CPU is very difficult and can be really dangerous, which is the reason I said I would not do it, but the MSI board is supposed to make it easier. At this moment I'm not confident enough to do it.

I wanted the liquid cooler because with the PC I have now it gets pretty warm in the room I am in. So anything to keep the temprature down in here is a plus. Also my climate is pretty hot where I live. I also wanted as much quite as possible. I did plan to overclock the GPU a little as I have some experience with that. I wanted the nVidia card for GeForce experience, I do like that software and shadow play is something I really like aswell.

If you don't overclock, do you really need a watercooler? More points of failure and all that. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 with a 6700K overclocked to 4.5, and my load temps never go above 65C.

Keep in mind the Mobo has no USB-C. I have the ITX version of that board.

To my knowledge I do not have anything that uses USB-C so that isnt a big deal.

You should switch the 970 for a R9 390 if you want better performance in games, and the liquid cooler is really unnecessary if you arent overclocking. At most you could get a $25 212 evo.

I did look at that cooler and it seems pretty good.

why get a non k then? you even said in your post that you dont want to do it

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Why would you need 2 2Tb HDD's?

I woulds just get a 1Tb hdd and a 750Gbssd. You dont really need raid stuff. Either way consider getting an R9 390 (or R9 290X if you really want a titan equivalent) instead of a GTX 970. Unless you want shadowplay 'n stuff.

Also 32Gb of ram us really overkill. Save some bucks and get 16 instead. (Well it depends on what you are using it for)

Do you live in the US? Because if not, this might be more than your budget. If you do, then this build is good for you. You won't need a liquid cooler for the CPU if you're not overclocking, so I went with a much cheaper Hyper 212 EVO that'll keep your CPU cool. I've managed your storage a bit, you won't need to use that much storage, 1TB and a 250GB 850EVO will just do fine. I've kept your CPU the same, but changed the motherboard to a similar looking H170 since you won't be overclocking, and have paired it with a flagship black and red MSI 980Ti that should match with it, so you can use Shadowplay and NVIDIA features. Your 32GB is overkill, even for something like a workstation. Save some money and just get 16GB which is still overkill for gaming. You won't need a 850W PSU, a 650W will do just fine, unless you're planning to SLI which I doubt. Overall, should do well at 1440p on Ultra settings.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI H170 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($623.00 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($130.69 @ B&H) 
Total: $1629.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 20:05 EST-0500

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder