Windows XP activation help

ahuckphin
Go to solution Solved by ahuckphin,

HI. I am currently working on a couple of computer, 5 in fact so i can give them the computer the local charity.

The computers are (2x) Dell Dimension 3000 and (3x) Dell Dimension 4700

This computers originally came with windows xp, OEM editions i think,

i only have the original documentation and reinstallation CD only for one computer.

I used the reinstallation CD on 3 computers already and when i go to start, right click, properties, all three computers have the same product key.

Is okay to use the same product key for multiple computers now that windows xp is no longer supported?

Or do i have to unactivate the copy of windows and reactivate it with the product key on the case windows sticker?

It doesn't matter if its registered or not, it won't get updates anymore.

IMO you should just put some linux distro on it, otherwise it will just quickly get filled with malware

Personally I'd just slap a Linux distro on it. Windows XP isn't worth clinging onto anymore.

as much as i preach linux isnt ready for the home just yet, i feel like winxp is even less applicable to the home than linux is in 2015...

(theres a lot of software that straight up refuses to install on winxp)

As i going to give the computer away to charity, i need to know whether its allowed to use the same product key for mulitple computers.

if this is not allowed, any other suggestions. 

I know that Windows 10 (not activated) runs at like 80% cpu useage most of the time

Ubuntu works great for basic things like web, youtube, word, and any other basic task a home user would need. It's free and easy to use. Give it a try and see if it will do what you need

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Don't do Ubuntu, do Xubuntu or Mint XFCE.